TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jmhg11 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

i cant stop liying - April 8th 2016, 06:02 AM

so I cant stop lying. I am genetically hardwired to lie. I was born when my birthparents where only 16 and I was hidden until I was almost born. I cant really control my lying I try so damn hard but it never works. I lie and lie and lie. it just automatically switches on whenever I'm in trouble nervous or scared I lie. I'm actually a really good liar that's part of the problem I never get caught. its especially bad now because my parents are splitting up. pleas if anyone can give some advice id love it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: i cant stop liying - April 8th 2016, 06:14 PM

The problem with lying, as I'm sure you've discovered, is that once you get into the habit of doing it, it can be very difficult to stop. Particularly if you think it serves a useful purpose.

It sounds like you use lying as a defence mechanism - by separating yourself from the truth you perhaps feel as though you are protecting yourself. However, the reality is that you are just making life harder than it needs to be. Lying and, in particular, maintaining the lies requires an awful lot of effort. Effort that could be put to better use thinking about something else. If you do get caught out, people may not trust you ever again. Also, word will spread and being a liar is not a reputation you want to have.

Once you are finally able to tell the truth, I think you will feel a great sense of freedom. But it will take some effort to achieve that. You will have to physically stop yourself when you can sense that you are about to lie. Instead of feeling under pressure and blurting something out, you will need to pause, take a deep breath and think carefully about what you are going to say.

It will take practice and you will still slip up now and again. But gradually you will be able to break the habit and live a more honest existence.

I'm sorry to learn that your parents are splitting up and recognise that the stress of that is going to make it even more difficult to deal with your lying problem. However, I do think that with the right support it is possible.

How would you feel about talking to a counsellor? There should be one attached to your school and what you tell them is completely private between the two of you. You most likely have a lot of thoughts and emotions relating to your home life, which you don't have to keep to yourself and feel alone with. A counsellor would be able to help you to feel better about what is happening with your parents. They could also support you with trying to break your lying habit.

Be kind to yourself.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: i cant stop liying - April 8th 2016, 09:34 PM

I understand this is hard for you but you can beat it! Lying is something that is really over looked but it's so hard to control if your doing it compulsively. Have you spoken to anyone about this? I would suggest speaking to perhaps a counsellor or your local GP or a friend. getting this off your chest will help you cope with the emotional side of it. Have you thought about what makes you lie? Perhaps you can find the route of the problem and put a stop to it for yourself. I would suggest searching the web and TeenHelp for coping methods a method I used when I was dealing with depression I used to listen to music which allowed me to stimulate my mind. I feel speaking to a counsellor will allow you to find the route of your problem I wish you all the best if you need any more help feel free to contact me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Suiky Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: i cant stop liying - April 11th 2016, 01:16 PM

On falsehood can not build a good relationship. And when people find out the truth, you are ashamed, are not you? Just remember that feeling, when you want to lie.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: i cant stop liying - April 12th 2016, 03:26 PM

Hey, I've moved this over to the General forum since you weren't asking for relationship advice.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

Closed Thread