TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

fd's - April 9th 2016, 07:33 PM

ive noticed that recently the fd's seem to be like pretty much empty with maybe 1 person turning up to them 3 if lucky.... is there a way to maybe get more people going to these?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: fd's - April 9th 2016, 09:51 PM

For me personally there are a few reasons why I've never attended a facilitated discussion.

For one I have terrible social anxiety in chatrooms. For the times I'd visited I almost never talked because I was too busy panicking worrying if anything I said would sound stupid or wrong and so the only time I was able to was when I was hyped up on around 3-4 cups of coffee because caffeine makes me overly talkative and jittery and that's just not healthy.

Secondly, a title doesn't really tell me very much about the discussion. It tells me what it's about, but that's pretty much it. It could be argued that if I attend then I'll know, but if there are people like me out there, they'll want to know more than just what a title can provide, they'll want to know some of the structure to the discussion as well. A title stating, 'Coping with depression' could be a great title, but there are different types of depression and there are so many ways of dealing with each different one. A title can't tell me that.

Thirdly, and this is a big one for me as it couples with my chatroom social anxiety, what if I say something or ask a question no one knows the answer to? What if I worded something incorrectly or what if I'm misunderstood? What if the people I try and talk to can't help me?

Above everything else, while some may find chatrooms more useful to help discuss things, I for one prefer the use of the forums where I can formulate my threads/responses accordingly without pressure of some 'time limit' response which chatrooms often make me feel they have.

So, there's that from me. Maybe others will feel the same, maybe I'm the only one who feels like this, I don't know.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Re: fd's - April 9th 2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivière View Post

Secondly, a title doesn't really tell me very much about the discussion. It tells me what it's about, but that's pretty much it. It could be argued that if I attend then I'll know, but if there are people like me out there, they'll want to know more than just what a title can provide, they'll want to know some of the structure to the discussion as well. A title stating, 'Coping with depression' could be a great title, but there are different types of depression and there are so many ways of dealing with each different one. A title can't tell me that.
I just wanted to point something out about this, incase no one else knows about this and its why people don't show up.

In the newsletter each month when we announce the topics for the next month. There is actually a written little description of each topic for the FDs.

This is actually the last newsletter, that has the current FD schedule, with those FD topics with the written descriptions:
http://www.teenhelp.org/blogs/teenhe...job-interview/

Saturdays just seems to be a busy day for people, I know for myself its a busy day. We've always struggled to maintain getting people to show up, but honestly there isn't a day that is less busy for people, so changing days isn't possible. Adding a day isn't possible. Most of it now is just talking to people being like "Hey, you should come to the FD" I think another issue is we've had to cancel a lot lately, and people are getting use to them being cancelled and getting out of the habit of showing up. Its a work in progress right now of getting them going again.

So honestly, there could be a million reasons why people don't show, and its probably mainly just people being busy.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Re: fd's - April 9th 2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaty View Post
I just wanted to point something out about this, incase no one else knows about this and its why people don't show up.

In the newsletter each month when we announce the topics for the next month. There is actually a written little description of each topic for the FDs.

This is actually the last newsletter, that has the current FD schedule, with those FD topics with the written descriptions:
[url]http://www.teenhelp.org/blogs/teenhelp/b42990-newsletter-72-benefits-volunteering%3B-how-reduce-stress-headaches%3B-dealing-rejection-after-job-interview/[/url
Truthfully, despite reading the Newsletter from time to time, I must clearly be overlooking that bottom section. Just an idea but could those descriptions not be added to the FD section? Whenever there's a FD on there's the usual pop-up at the top with a part that says, 'For more information about our Facilitated Chat Room Discussions' but then the link mainly includes dates, times and who will be running the discussion and its title... but no description. I don't think it could hurt to have something under each of the upcoming sessions, that way anyone who clicks the link will be able to know a bit more of what they're about. This may also help to attract new faces as well as old.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: fd's - April 10th 2016, 07:07 AM

I stopped using chat entirely when it stopped working in Chrome, it's a hassle to open another browser just for that (especially if nobody comes in) and Firefox crashes on me and updates constantly. Plus, I personally feel like I'm too old for them, and there tend to be awkward silences with so few people and the facilitator runs out of topics.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: fd's - April 12th 2016, 11:22 PM

I'm with Katie; I use Chrome and chat doesn't work here. For other reasons, I only use Chrome. I have 0 interest in using other browsers, nor will I just for TH. Plus I tried using it on Safari and doesn't work there.
In addition, I don't actually like chat rooms, not since I was 12-13 years old, because I always feel like it facilitates an environment that I can't really be apart of. You show up midconversation, it takes a few minutes to find out what the hell is going on, by then the topic has changed, and everyone just shares these inside joes that I don't understand. I end up feeling horribly out of place and leaving because, despite trying to jump in, no one even acknowledges me. I wish I could get into the TH one though because everyone seems to know each other way better than myself and I'd love to be more involved.
In any case, that stuff affects m ability to participate in forums

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread