TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Should I look for a new driving instructor - April 16th 2016, 10:29 AM

Hey guys,

I failed my driving test a couple of weeks ago. My nerves were really bad anyway, but my driving instructor give me a 'pep talk' and it just made things worse, I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I managed to calm myself a little before my test but it just wasn't enough. I failed on silly mistakes that I wouldn't usually make, like hitting the kerb. The talk she gave me just made me feel incapable of passing my driving test, I'm not blaming her entirely but I was feeling s anxious the things she said really didn't help.

My boyfriend said I should give his instructor a go and see how I get on but on the other hand my mum and dad think I should just get the learner driver insurance and they'll take me out. The problem is they told me to get it ages ago and when I did it they didn't take me out, so I don't want it to be a waste of money all over again.

I want to pass my driving test, but I'm starting to give up. I've been learning for a year and failed three tests.

Help!

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Re: Should I look for a new driving instructor - April 16th 2016, 02:32 PM

Hello,

I was so nervous for my driving test. I failed my first time, and my dad could not believe it. We were worried I may fail the parallel parking, but I failed the driving part which I was really confident about. It's OKAY!! Driving is really stressful, especially when you have a random stranger analyzing your driving. Keep in mind that you are a new driver... It takes YEARS of experience to really get your judgement on point. I have been driving for 7 years and I sometimes still say things like "Oh, I totally could have made it" while waiting to turn. But that is okay! So what if the driver behind me honks... I need to be in control of the front of the car, not the back.

Don't really know if that helps at all... I'm just trying to say be easy on yourself! If you feel uncomfortable with your instructor, maybe it would be worth looking into someone else, but the instructor you have now is probably used to observing what mistakes you are making or what you are doing really well. Maybe you could ask your instructor to do a few practice runs at the actual location of your driving test.

Good luck!!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Should I look for a new driving instructor - April 16th 2016, 04:40 PM

Hey,

Failing first time is honestly not a big deal. I failed my first time because I mounted the kerb a little at the end, and I'd never done that before. Nerves are a new driver's downfall. The next time you will know what to expect so you'll be more prepared. If you feel that what your instructor said was unhelpful, it's okay to tell them that. At the end of the day you are paying them to help you, so sometimes you need to tell them how they can help.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with changing instructors if you need to, but I will say that styles differ considerably so it might take some getting used to. My first instructor was hopeless. She would text during lessons, chat quite a lot, and if I did something wrong she'd go "Oh you did this wrong there". I switched to the AA and got driving lessons with them. Their approach was much more helpful because they would get me to pull over and ask me what I did wrong, why it was wrong, and what I should have done. Then they'd make me go back and do it again until it was right. I once spent two hours driving the same route in circles until I was confident enough on the roundabouts.
So be aware that approaches are really different and if you change now, it might throw you a little because it'll be a style you're not used to. It's entirely up to you what you do, you know what's best for yourself so don't let anyone else make the choice for you.
I would advise talking to your instructor though, if you can. Even if you just text them to thank them for their help but you're super nervous so just want to get straight to the test next time. The longer you wait before the test, the more nerve-racking it gets, so getting straight in there is much easier than sitting outside and waiting first.

Good luck next time round! There is absolutely no shame in failing the first time, it's a good learning opportunity.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Should I look for a new driving instructor - April 17th 2016, 02:49 AM

I believe it is up to you. You should try talking to your instructor but if you are uncomfortable doing that and believe you need a complete change in instructor than go for it.
You have to do what is best for your learning. I say talk to the instructor because it will allow her to learn what she can do to help you, what she is doing that is not helping you and hopefully it can lead to a better understanding of each other.
If you are nervous about talking to her, you could always write down some notes to look over when you meet/call her. Having an outline of what you want to talk about in front of you can calm your anxiety in the moment.
I hope this helps and good luck!!

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread