TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Long sleeves - May 2nd 2016, 01:59 PM

Hey,

Feel free to move this, it's probably more suited somewhere else but I wasn't really sure where.

I don't know how to describe this but it's really annoying me now and I need to know if anyone can help. For the last few days, maybe a week, I can't stand long sleeves. I don't like anything touching my forearms. I don't know why. It makes my skin feel weird. It doesn't hurt but it's just there and I can feel it and it really bothers me to the point where I can't wear sleeves to bed and I have to have my sleeves rolled right up past my elbows all day. I scratch my arms to try and stop the feeling being there. I'm not trying to hurt myself, it's just to stop whatever this horrible sensation on my arms is.

If they're bare, it's not a problem. It's not an irritation, although I find mysel constantly looking for a rash. I don't have one. I'm not allergic to anything and I haven't used any new products of creams, the only stuff I use is shower gel which I've been using for a few months now.

Sorry, I know the detal isn't great but I don't really know how else to describe it. I had this once before but I was sick so everything was oversensitive anyway. I had a migraine and stomach pains and general flu. But with this, I'm actually not ill for the first time in a while. I'm completely healthy, but my forearms - and it is just my fore-arms - feel so weird.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Long sleeves - May 2nd 2016, 03:41 PM

It sounds like sensory stuff is annoying you. My brother has a sensory problem and he can't tolerate items like hats, glasses, or band-aids without ripping them off. I don't know how he copes with it, other than removing the item that makes him uncomfortable, but maybe you could try another sensation? You could use some ice to numb your arms, or some muscle heating gel to overpower the other sensations. I know it can be hard not to focus on it, but I think sometimes focusing on it makes it feel worse. Maybe you could stay distracted.

I hope you find something to help you!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Long sleeves - May 2nd 2016, 05:23 PM

I agree that it could be a sensory issue, I think it is called tactile defensiveness. A similar issue would be having difficulty with tags on clothing. But for you, it is long sleeves. Is there a reason you have to wear long sleeves as it seems wearing short sleeves is the most direct solution. Is there certain materials that bother you more than others? Is there a certain tightness or looseness that you prefer? Something that I do is wear short sleeves with a jacket or sweater over it because I like the baggyness of sweaters but I don't like wearing long sleeves if they're tight, so for me that's a compromise.
Also is this the only problem for you? Some people with tactile defensiveness would remove tags on shirts to reduce that itchy feeling. There may also be certain materials that you prefer. It may take some experimenting. Maybe try identifying what it is that you don't like? Does it feel itchy? Do you feel trapped? You mention a rash, so I'm wondering if you feel like heat or inflammation? I like the idea about the ice cube as that can be a good contrast to the rash feeling.
I think engaging your other senses can help distract yourself. If you know you like certain sensations for any of the other 4 senses, maybe do something with that?
I was diagnosed with sensory processing disorder but I never done treatment for it so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. For me sounds are what bother me most so I counteract this with earplugs for noise canceling and I have certain comfort items like slinkies and certain textures that I enjoy feeling with my hands. This is something I decided on by myself though, so I can't say it will work for sure. I hope you find something that works. At the very least, if you're feeling anxious, doing something to cope with the anxiety may be helpful in tolerating this sensation.

Closed Thread