TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Svetlana Volkova

Don't Understand - June 3rd 2016, 09:49 PM

Whenever someone needs help and reports something that person is supposed to receive help. I've reported offensive stuff on here and have waited WAY too long, yet nothing has been done.

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1239505 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Don't Understand - June 3rd 2016, 10:26 PM

Hey there.

The Reports system is more for reporting things that break TeenHelp's Terms of Service, not for things that someone personally finds offensive. When something is reported and a decision has been reached about it the person who reported it is not always contacted.

If you need help with something I would suggest using HelpLINK, or LiveHelp (when it is online). Those are better ways to receive help about something than the Reports system.

Feel free to message me and take care.
Oliver.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Don't Understand - June 3rd 2016, 10:29 PM

Hey there,

As Oliver said, the report system is used for things that break the TOS and less so about stuff that someone finds offensive. It might help if your familiarize yourself with the TOS so that you will know when something is breaking a rule and can be reported.

If something ends up not breaking a rule it is unlikely that anything will be done. A lot of thought goes into the decision regarding whether or not a specific report breaks a rule.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Don't Understand - June 3rd 2016, 10:34 PM

Oh, so basically if something is offensive it's still ok because it doesn't "break the rules." i see how it is.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Don't Understand - June 3rd 2016, 10:41 PM

Offensive is a relative term in that everyone takes offense to different things and something that is offensive to one person will not be offensive to another. Things are labeled triggering or the relevant prefix is used for that reason. Though you are right there are some possibly offensive topics discussed on TeenHelp that do not break the ToS, but that user who posted the topic deserves help just as much as anyone else on TeenHelp.

Ultimately if you feel something you have reported has been wrongly handled then you are able to submit a Dispute about it to the Disputes Committee where it will be discussed further and you will be contacted.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Don't Understand - June 3rd 2016, 11:17 PM

As Oliver has said, being offended about something is a relative term and people take offence to different things. People use triggering prefixes when they think their post will be triggering, or if a moderator deems it triggering they will put the prefix in. If there is something posted that goes against the ToS, say a suicide note, a moderator will reword the post so it is asking for help rather than saying goodbye. As people get offended by different things, it is unlikely to have anything happen to it because there might not be anyone else that finds it offensive. The ToS cover a lot of posts though, so generally there won't be anything that is posted that would be offensive that doesn't break the rules.

If you find a person who is constantly offending you, it is easiest to add them to your ignore list or avoid their posts. If it is triggering or goes against the ToS, you are able to report them and if you have a problem with the way it is handled you can submit a dispute, which Oliver has posted a link to.

Hopefully everything gets cleared up.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Don't Understand - June 3rd 2016, 11:23 PM

Depending on what you've reported and depending on what it is that is considered 'offencive' will determine what actions moderators take and ultimately the outcome of whatever was reported.

The moderation team takes each and every report very seriously and sometimes depending on what has been reported, can actually take more than a few days or even a week or two. Not all reported content has a clear cut 'this is wrong we must take action' approach, many reports require a lot of deliberation on how to take action and/or if any action should be taken at all. Also, sometimes the moderation team will not always see fit to 'deal' with a situation because sometimes the situation can be avoided if that person themself takes a specific action such as putting someone on your ignore list if they constantly bother you, for example.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LifeTheRonWay Offline
I live to serve
Average Joe

Name: Ron

Re: Don't Understand - June 4th 2016, 01:23 PM

Greetings,
I see a lot of good replies to your question but I would also just like to point out we aren't going to twist your arm here and make you read the things you are choosing to read. Maybe it would be in your best interest to create your own thread so you aren't having to read over others, which would allow you to seek more personal advice pertaining to your situation. (:

-Ron

Revenge is a poison meant for others that we end up swallowing ourselves.
Vengeance is a dark light that blinds all who seek it.
The untroubled soul knows there is no justice in revenge.
The untroubled soul knows that to seek vengeance, is to seek destruction.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Don't Understand - June 4th 2016, 03:30 PM

that's exactly what i've done yet still other compulsive liars get more attention to their thread than i do. it's stupid.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Don't Understand - June 4th 2016, 05:12 PM

I don't think anyone who creates threads are being compulsive liars. Everyone comes to TeenHelp because they need support one way or another, and everyone deserves to be treated with respect.

If you see something you don't like by a user, then the best thing to do is to put them on your ignore list, like others have said.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Don't Understand - June 4th 2016, 06:08 PM

Hi there,

If you think someone on the site is lying, then definitely let us know! We'll need to know why you think they're lying, and we'd need some proof. There are a lot of people on the site, and sometimes we do read a thread and think "I wonder if that's REALLY true", but just because we think someone is lying doesn't mean they are. If that's the reason you contacted the Moderating team before, chances are there is no proof so there's nothing that can be done.
If you don't like what someone's posting, you can put them on ignore and you won't be able to see their posts any more, but if you keep upsetting yourself by reading their posts there isn't a lot we can do to help you. If you're not sure how to put someone on ignore, let me know and I'll explain it.

On your other point about other users getting more attention than you, I want to reassure you that we would never give more attention to one user than another, that's not what TeenHelp is about. Some threads do get more replies than others, but that doesn't mean they're more cared about or getting more attention. It could be that their friends on the site are responding to show their support, more people who have experienced the same thing have been able to relate and respond back, or even just that more people have been online and seen the thread to respond to it.
Every thread on TeenHelp will get at the very least one reply, though the majority get more than one. If you're unsatisfied with the advice, you can always post to add more information, or you can try other avenues of advice such as the Chat Room or HelpLINK. Live Help can also be great for chatting to one of our staff members one-on-one if it's online.

Don't be disheartened because it doesn't look like anything has happened. Users who submit a report won't be contacted with the result of their report so that's why you haven't heard anything back. But if the thread or post you had a problem with is still there, it will be because we had no reason to believe the post was untrue or against the rules on TeenHelp.

If you have any other questions about TeenHelp or anything I've said, feel free to let me know. I'm happy to help!

- Louise.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Don't Understand - June 4th 2016, 07:42 PM

there are compulsive liars, which there is enough evidence for. I'm done here.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Don't Understand - June 4th 2016, 11:10 PM

Hey, Merideth. Since there is no further advice we can offer you on this topic I am going to close this thread. I recommend thoroughly reading the responses because there are very good reasons that have been posted as to why TeenHelp operates as it does.

Best of luck,
Oliver.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread