TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sektor Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 03:18 AM

I was wondering, during ones birthday, do they turn their new age at a certain time? For example, I was born on Jan 3rd at 10 pm, so will I be, for example, 18 at 10 pm on the 3rd this year?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 03:42 AM

For me I consider myself the next age at the stroke of midnight. I have to have a day of celebrating

It's honestly a personal decision though.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 03:45 AM

Technically, if you were born on January 3rd at 10:00pm, then yes, you will become 18 at that time.

In terms of celebration, there's no need to follow the specifics in my personal opinion. For example, let's say you were born at 11:50pm; if you waited to begin your celebration then not everyone would be able to attend. Assuming they were, it'd be a late and sleepy celebration start.

Personally, I consider you turning 18 at midnight when it is technically January 3rd. I know it isn't specific to the exact time you were born, but I see the whole 24 hours of the day you were born on as your official birthday. Not technically correct, but way more fun because you have the whole day!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
sektor Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 04:15 AM

I mean technically, officially is what I was looking for to be honest. Is the above example the official one?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Raazkalra Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mr. Lonely

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala View Post
Technically, if you were born on January 3rd at 10:00pm, then yes, you will become 18 at that time.

In terms of celebration, there's no need to follow the specifics in my personal opinion. For example, let's say you were born at 11:50pm; if you waited to begin your celebration then not everyone would be able to attend. Assuming they were, it'd be a late and sleepy celebration start.

Personally, I consider you turning 18 at midnight when it is technically January 3rd. I know it isn't specific to the exact time you were born, but I see the whole 24 hours of the day you were born on as your official birthday. Not technically correct, but way more fun because you have the whole day!
I agree with Nala,
I myself born on 1:35 am, but this isn't celebration time dear so I celebrate in morning on that day. I born on 17 August at 1:35 am , i celebrate my birthday on 17 August at any time .

(#6 (permalink)) Old
sektor Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 04:46 AM

Not talking about celebration, but I mean the actual turning of the age.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 05:55 AM

I don't really think there is anything official. For instance, they do not put the time of your birth on things like a driver's license or when you sign a contract. Usually just the date because there's no need to be so specific. Birthdays are quite personal anyway. For instance, personally I don't usually feel a year older until about six months after my actual birthday. Regardless you don't just magically turn, say, 21 at the stroke of 6:10 PM on May 3rd. Nothing happens. You're still the same you that you were at 3:09 PM on May 2nd. Some people will also argue that time and age is not real and is just a construct or illusion, but most everything is relative anyway.

Regardless, I'm 99% sure there's nothing written by anyone official sounding that defines an 'official' turning of age. I don't know what kind of official person you're looking for to say when it's official that you're a year older either. So, to answer your question, I don't think there's anything official said or written by anyone official about one's birthday. I don't know what more could be said.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 12:12 PM

My birthday was last week and I considered the entire day my birthday. I got birthday greetings hours before my birth-minute in the late evening. I hung out with a friend for a couple hours, and then my parents with some appetizers/drinks. My parents were in bed by 8 and I was just chatting with friends when I "turned 32" according to my birth-minute. It's really no big deal and it's better to consider the whole day your birthday.

I think Oliver pretty much said everything.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 04:02 PM

I know that personally (in my family) it's our birthday for the whole day and we celebrate it and everything but we're not actually our new age until the time we were born has passed. I know that's not how some people celebrate it but that's how we've done it since I've been little.

Technically speaking, I think you are officially your "new age" at the time you were born at but I don't think that it means you can't celebrate the whole day because that is in fact, the day you were born. However, on official documents and such (like driver's licenses or passports) they don't put the time you were born down but rather the day so I think it comes down to personal preference.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 07:25 PM

I don't think there's anything official, especially since some people don't really know what time they actually were born. I know that I was born at 4:43 pm, but nothing special happens at that time. I celebrate the entire day and I think that's what many people do.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
SirJordan Offline
Twitter: @sirjordanhardy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jordan

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 07:31 PM

I go from midnight to midnight.

"Carefree, wherever we may be. We are the famous CFC" - Chelsea Football Club
  Send a message via Yahoo to SirJordan  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 3rd 2017, 11:16 PM

I mean, technically, I think you should go by the day you were born but I don't think too many people do that. Most the time people just celebrate whenever they want. Some people celebrate it all day long, some people wait till later in the evening.

I personally hate my birthday so I don't celebrate it all that much. I like to pretend it didn't happen.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 4th 2017, 09:24 AM

I just go all day and say it's my birthday, especially considering I was born in a different country from where I live now and I don't know the time of when it would be in this country, and even if I did which would I go by? One would make it midday and the other would make it late at night, so saying it's all day is a lot easier. I don't think there's an official time that someone has said is exactly when you change age, birthday's aren't as complicated as that.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Hanna24 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Question regarding birthdays? - January 13th 2017, 10:43 AM

May be. Not sure.

Closed Thread