TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Help with conversation - May 2nd 2017, 06:34 AM

I am quite naturally introverted, so I really struggle sometimes with making conversation with people I know, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips, or like a list of questions or other things i can use to keep conversation flowing? Not like deep ones but just general ones that I can use on anyone casually in a conversation. Thank you!

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Help with conversation - May 2nd 2017, 07:09 AM

Hey there,

It sounds like you're wanting to push yourself outside of your comfort zone and work on improving your people skills. That's a fantastic goal and you should be proud of yourself for wanting to do so.

If you're just looking for general questions, I'd recommend asking people about things like their classes or hobbies. If it's someone you share a class with, you could ask them what they think about what you're learning; if you don't share a class with them, you can just ask how school is going. Showing an interest in the things that other people like to do is also a great way to get people talking and start building a conversation with them. If you're trying to start a conversation with someone that you don't know well, you could consider asking them if they did anything fun over the weekend and/or if they have any fun plans coming up.

The most important thing to maintaining the flow of a conversation is making the other person feel like you genuinely care about what they are saying. Listen carefully and ask questions or make comments based on what they say. Look for opportunities to share your own thoughts and feelings about things so the conversation doesn't become one-sided. It might seem intimidating at first, but the more you practice having day to day conversations, the easier it will become to figure out how to strike them up and keep them going.

If you want some more tips or if you'd like to practice a little bit, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Help with conversation - May 2nd 2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metanoia. View Post
Hey there,

It sounds like you're wanting to push yourself outside of your comfort zone and work on improving your people skills. That's a fantastic goal and you should be proud of yourself for wanting to do so.

If you're just looking for general questions, I'd recommend asking people about things like their classes or hobbies. If it's someone you share a class with, you could ask them what they think about what you're learning; if you don't share a class with them, you can just ask how school is going. Showing an interest in the things that other people like to do is also a great way to get people talking and start building a conversation with them. If you're trying to start a conversation with someone that you don't know well, you could consider asking them if they did anything fun over the weekend and/or if they have any fun plans coming up.

The most important thing to maintaining the flow of a conversation is making the other person feel like you genuinely care about what they are saying. Listen carefully and ask questions or make comments based on what they say. Look for opportunities to share your own thoughts and feelings about things so the conversation doesn't become one-sided. It might seem intimidating at first, but the more you practice having day to day conversations, the easier it will become to figure out how to strike them up and keep them going.

If you want some more tips or if you'd like to practice a little bit, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Take care,
Sammi
Thank you very much for your help!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Help with conversation - May 2nd 2017, 11:39 PM

Hey there,

I'm fairly introverted so I don't always thrive in social situations, but there are a few things I've found that can help with starting or continuing a conversation.

First - find some common ground. Does this person have any interests or hobbies that are the same as any of yours? If so, that's a perfect place to start. If not, try to find some. You could ask about their hobbies or how they like to spend their free time; ask further questions if they give generic answers, such as ''What's your favourite music genre?'' or ''What TV shows are you watching at the moment?"

Second - use your surroundings to your advantage. This is one of my favourite techniques, because it's simple but quite effective. Is there anything going on around you that you could make a comment on? For example if you're at school you could say something about the class you're in, or one of the teachers, or a project. If you and the person you're speaking to are both already at school, that already gives you a pretty good foundation to build on.

Third - as Sammi said, make sure you're showing that you're interested. Ask questions, but also add your own opinions and stories in so it doesn't just seem like an interview. If the other person is talking about something you're familiar with, great - tell them about your experiences or thoughts on the matter. If they're talking about something you don't know a lot about, now's a perfect opportunity to both learn both about it and give someone a chance to talk about something they care about.

Fourth - have a few topics in the back of your mind that you can bring out if the situation calls for it. Some of my go-tos are talking about movies or TV shows, discussing pets I have or want to have (most pet owners love talking about their pets), or talking about travel plans (even people who haven't left their home country before often have places they'd love to see and are more than happy to talk about).

And, of course, the more you do it, the more easily it will come. If you're trying to get more confident and comfortable talking to people, the best piece of advice I can give is to talk to as many people as possible. Talk to people you may not otherwise have approached, and from as wide a spectrum as possible so that you get used to talking to different types of people.

Good luck with it all, and happy chatting!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Help with conversation - May 3rd 2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomachia. View Post
Hey there,

I'm fairly introverted so I don't always thrive in social situations, but there are a few things I've found that can help with starting or continuing a conversation.

First - find some common ground. Does this person have any interests or hobbies that are the same as any of yours? If so, that's a perfect place to start. If not, try to find some. You could ask about their hobbies or how they like to spend their free time; ask further questions if they give generic answers, such as ''What's your favourite music genre?'' or ''What TV shows are you watching at the moment?"

Second - use your surroundings to your advantage. This is one of my favourite techniques, because it's simple but quite effective. Is there anything going on around you that you could make a comment on? For example if you're at school you could say something about the class you're in, or one of the teachers, or a project. If you and the person you're speaking to are both already at school, that already gives you a pretty good foundation to build on.

Third - as Sammi said, make sure you're showing that you're interested. Ask questions, but also add your own opinions and stories in so it doesn't just seem like an interview. If the other person is talking about something you're familiar with, great - tell them about your experiences or thoughts on the matter. If they're talking about something you don't know a lot about, now's a perfect opportunity to both learn both about it and give someone a chance to talk about something they care about.

Fourth - have a few topics in the back of your mind that you can bring out if the situation calls for it. Some of my go-tos are talking about movies or TV shows, discussing pets I have or want to have (most pet owners love talking about their pets), or talking about travel plans (even people who haven't left their home country before often have places they'd love to see and are more than happy to talk about).

And, of course, the more you do it, the more easily it will come. If you're trying to get more confident and comfortable talking to people, the best piece of advice I can give is to talk to as many people as possible. Talk to people you may not otherwise have approached, and from as wide a spectrum as possible so that you get used to talking to different types of people.

Good luck with it all, and happy chatting!
Thank you so much! I definitely try your tips!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bhorlin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help with conversation - May 12th 2017, 12:32 AM

This is also my problem. I'll try to do these suggestions too. Thanks!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MartaAlling Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help with conversation - May 15th 2017, 08:49 AM

Great suggestions!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help with conversation - May 15th 2017, 11:26 AM

This is great!

Closed Thread