TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Bugs and mice - September 17th 2017, 03:08 PM

Not sure what Forum this should be suitable in, feel free to move it.

I am done with bugs. I hate them. I hate them flying around my face and I get angry when I move and they follow me. I just can not stand bugs flying around my face.

The kitchen, it is swarming in fruit flies. It is hard cooking as they fly into your food while it's cooking. They stand on your food as your prepping it, then when you go eat it, they are buzzing around your head.

(I had a dream I sprayed the kitchen in some raid stuff and that dream was so satisfying that I slept in my dream and woke up to a bug free kitchen. When I woke up from this dream, I was happy but realized that never happened.)

I have emptied the trash can, cleaned it, emptied the recycling bins, emptied the compost bin and cleaned it, I even put out a trap of apply cidar vinegar and put a bag over top and poked holes. Nothing has worked they are all over the place still. I am annoyed and I can't stand being in the kitchen as you walk to the fridge and come back and fruit flies have covered pasta. I am done with these stupid annoying bugs. (I have gone so far and swore at them) I even opened the patio deck door and nothing, they just hung to the screen (I should have opened the screen) I am annoyed with this.

I can't even do homework on the kitchen table with no food or water around me and ive gone out to do homework sometimes.

I read that having plants can also be a reason. Well, the house has about 30 or so, or more plants. And not to point fingers but my cousin was lacking in cleaning which resulted in these, however, she is out of town for awhile. I barely use the kitchen and this is what I need to deal with? I can't do bugs flying around my face/head.

Does anyone have solutions on how to get rid of these things? I mean, I would say it's an infestation. They cling on to any surface.

Oh. We also have a mouse problem. Cousin has a trap set on the counter that were the mouse would go in and be stuck but alive so catch and release and that doesn't even work. But, I buy bananas and I come back the next day and one is been eaten into.

I am tired of the kitchen. I barely use it and I avoid it like a plaque.

Does anyone have ideas?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Bugs and mice - September 17th 2017, 03:48 PM

When you use the apple cider vinager, did you use a few drops of dish soap? When we use it, it usually works!

Fruit flies are very irritating. We used to have a small compost bucket under the sink that we would fill up and then dump outside in the one that the city takes but it was drawing fruit flies so we now put everything directly outside and it dramatically decreased the number of fruit flies.

As annoying and ugly as flypaper looks, you could always use that around your kitchen or if you want you can make it like that link. I've tried making this before and it really does work.

I remember reading that you could look into fogging if it's an infestation but we've never done it.

Here are some tips on avoiding infestations:

-When you're shopping, make sure to avoid buying products that you've seen fruit flies around because that's usually how infestations start because one of them can lay 500+ eggs.
-When you get home from the grocery store, wash off bananas, melons specifically with vegetable spray (we make our own but you can buy it) because those are the two fruits that they are on way more than others.
-Make sure to wash down the bottom of recycling bins, garbage cans, sinks, etc to make sure there isn't any traces of liquid that is attracting them and make sure you don't leave dirty dishes in the sinks.
-We rinse all our dishes and cultlery before putting it in the dishwasher so the residue doesn't attract anything.
-Wash the counter tops, they are attracted to stuff like fruit, jams, jelly, juice, etc so make you wash the counter after making food and rinse out any cups or juice containers before you put them in the recycling.
-Also, pour some boiling white vinager down the kitchen sinks drains, bathroom sinks, showers, baths, etc because they can also live in there. Make sure you scrub the sink and the drain, you can also throw some household bleach down as well to kill any bacteria but make sure you wash thoroughly after.
-Make sure your fruit that's on the counter (ie bananas) isn't getting too ripe and cover it.

Hope you manage to get rid of them! I'm not too sure on how to avoid the mice because our cats or the neighbourhood cats catch them before they get into our house.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Bugs and mice - September 18th 2017, 09:45 AM

We had a similar problem in our house.
There has to be a source somewhere, so the best you could do is celan out everything. Shelfs, cupboards, every pot pan and cup.
In our home we did the same and disocvered a cup somwhere on top of a shelf that had something rotten in it. So maybe you can find the soruce if you look everywhere. Maybe behind the shelfes (if there is space).
Also it helps to open all windows + screen for about five minutes every day. At least some of the flies will get out.
Maybe you can put one plant at a time outside and see if it gets better or worse.

I don't know much about mice though. We had traps that killed them which worked rather welll, but if you want tho catch them alive... I have no idea

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Bugs and mice - September 18th 2017, 07:09 PM

Not sure about the bugs, but with the mice, try to figure out where they usually go (perhaps by the bins, places you store food...anywhere where there might be droppings) and place the trap in that area. Also, it can help to put food in the trap as well. And if you catch a mouse, try to release it some distance away so that it's less likely to come back.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread