TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Who to call about laws? - January 10th 2018, 09:07 PM

Wasn't really sure where to post this. I also know that TH isn't the greatest place to go to for this but I'm so lost.

Basically, I want to get a knife that I can keep in my car, probably the drivers side door. It would also be nice to be able to put this in my purse for things like first dates with new people and such. It's main purpose is literally just to make me feel safer, but also of course in the hopefully unlikely case that I need to protect myself.
The only problem is that I live in California, the asshole of the United States as far as weapons for self-defense go.

I've been researching for the past few days about California knife laws, but I've gotten about 50 different answers. A lot of the sources aren't up to date, most are extremely vague, and every source says something a bit different as far as switchblades, concealed carry laws, and blade length go.
What I've been able to gather so far is just that in order to carry any weapon on your person or in your vehicle, it has to be as difficult as possible for you to access and use. Like for keeping a gun in your car, the gun has to be disassembled and not loaded and kept in a closed container, and the ammo has to be kept in another container in a separate part of the car. Because an active shooter in the parking lot is going to wait patiently for you to assemble your gun, grab the ammo from the trunk, and load your gun so that you can protect yourself.

I've tried talking to my friends who own knives as well, but what they say the laws are doesn't add up to anything I've been reading about the laws.
I just want to be sure. My friend and I got in a little trouble with the cops the other day, and the one good part of that was that I was able to honestly tell the cop that there was nothing illegal in my car. I don't want there to be a day when that's not the truth anymore, but I also don't want there to be another day where I'm raped and unable to protect myself inside my own car.

So who would I call to get a clear answer on this? I saw some articles mention that you should call a lawyer, but I don't think they're the type of people you can just ring up to answer your random questions, right? I tried Googling to find people to talk to, and there were some of those "submit your question and pay $80 to see the answer" type of scam sites. There were also some forums, but none of the categories were for this type of question. And I really don't need anymore knife and weapon searches in my browsing history.

Does anyone know who I could talk to about this? Or where I could go to find the official, up-to-date knife laws for California?
The detective from my rape case told me at the end of the case that if I ever had any legal questions, even random ones about a speeding ticket or something, that I could email him and ask. But I'd honestly prefer to talk to a stranger. I know it seems stupid passing up his help, but he was part of such a difficult and horrible time in my life, even the thought of contacting him makes me really uncomfortable.

"You never know how STRONG you are
until being strong is
your only choice."
-Bob Marley

follow me on instagram

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Abibliophobe~ Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Who to call about laws? - January 10th 2018, 09:42 PM

Talking directly to a police officer would be a good idea for two reasons. Firstly, they would be able to provide you the most accurate information and secondly they would be able to tell you if a knife would be the best choice to use.

Some friend's and I had an incident back in January of 2015 and the police had to come. Anyway, one of my friend's was talking to the police officer about the best thing to use for protection. He explained why what they had wasn't effective and went on to explain that pepper spray wasn't too great either because more often then not people end up harming themselves instead of the perpetrator which isn't the best thing. I believe that they did talk about knives but I was zoning out. I think, with knives, they mentioned that those are only good to have on you if you actually know how to use them.

However, I don't remember everything that was said. I do remember the officer telling her what would be best to use though. I just don't remember what was said.

So, if you can, it would be best to talk directly to someone who is a police officer. You could ask them about laws and what the best way to protect yourself would be etc.

Best regards.

Do you love books or are you having trouble finding books to read? Come check out my blog where I will discuss all things books:
https://abibliophobe1989.wordpress.com/blog/
If you like what you see please follow!