TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rob Offline
Project Coordinator

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Rob

What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 3rd 2018, 07:19 PM

Hi everybody,

Many years ago we wrote our Mission Statement, and although we've tweaked it a little bit over the years it's been more or less the same for a long time now. You can read this here: http://www.teenhelp.org/mission/

I would like to find out what you would like to see our Mission Statement be!
  • What does TeenHelp mean to you personally?
  • How do you use it?
  • Are we currently fulfilling our Mission Statement?
  • Is there more that we could do?
Or are you simply happy that our current Mission Statement is about right? (That's okay too!)

Please let us know your thoughts. This will feed into a review of our Mission Statement. This will be open for comments and discussions until the end of April.

If you would like to send comments privately click here to PM me: http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=1

Thank you!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 3rd 2018, 07:55 PM

1) Teenhelp is my safe place. I don't have a lot of safe people to talk to in real life and I don't like over talking to those I can share with. Teenhelp provides a safe place to share.

The anonymity helped me in the beginning but I know I am not as anonymous. I think I also like the fact that it is highly moderated. I know some people get upset by this but it helps make it continue to be safe as a lot of other online spaces aren't safe. If you share an opinion you end up getting yelled at or attacked by others. If that happens here the mods will help ensure that everyone is able to deal with that and kept safe. Most sites do not have that.

2) I used to use it to seek support and advice and to share in my blogs. I have made friend's here and there. Now I mostly utilize it to help keep the site safe through moderation, responding to forums and support staff and site users when I can. I use it to give back since it was such an important part of my life and kept me safe from myself.

3) I think that you are for the most part I think points 3 and 6 need a bit more work.

I think 3 could be done through articles and resources. We have teen parents and while we have a forum for that I notice we don't have too many articles or interactive tools to engage them.

With 6 I think there are a few issues with it's implementation because we do encourage users to reach out but there are times when they do (it has happened to me in the past) and people weren't receptive or 'kind'. I think that there might be ways to work on that so we can encourage more users and engage more users to reach out on teenhelp. I think we do encourage users to reach out in the world but we could probably highlight more organizations to increase that?

4) I think we need to engage more users and reach more people. I don't know how to make the site more interactive or how to engage people. I do think engaging more people would help with less people feeling left out and leaving the site out of frustration which is something I did back in the very beginning of my time here.

Maybe we could also try and figure out a way to make volunteering seem more enticing or fun? I am not sure how but I think that if we could engage more people and get back to having a ton more users it would lead to more people seeking out and applying for staff.

Lastly, make the mission statement more interactive or interesting. I like how it is now but most people don't tend to read that so if we could figure out how to get people to read the mission statement and interact with it or something that could help them to understand how Teenhelp works.

(Not sure if this is what you were looking for but I hope it helps)

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 3rd 2018, 09:31 PM

What does Teenhelp mean to you personally?

Teenhelp has become like a home to me. I have been on this site since I was fifteen. It gives me a piece of mind and a place where I feel wanted and helpful. I like the fact that I can come on here and ask for help on things I will never admit to my family or therapist. It means I have a place to be me. It has helped me realize that my help is actually wanted and appreciated.

How do you use it?

I use TH to get advice on things. I also use it to help other people that need help. I also use this site to chat with people. Since I really don't get out much and I really don't like people. But I love the people on here. I also use TH to volunteer. Right now I am a community mentor so I love welcoming new Members, helping them figure out how to navigate the site.

I like these two Mission statements the best. I would love to see what of these if it does change. And maybe you could take quotes from some of senior members(The ones that I have been here for years. I know there probably are a lot that have been on a long time. I know I have for 11 years.)

I honestly don't know if this is what you were looking for so if it wasn't then let me know and I can answer it the way you want.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 4th 2018, 12:52 AM

1) To me, TeenHelp is a safe space to share what I am feeling or experiencing without worrying about being judged. I know that I can get advice if I need to. TeenHelp is also a great place to build meaningful friendships with people who understand me.

2) I used to use TeenHelp for advice a lot more. While I still do sometimes, my main focuses are giving advice or venting what I am feeling without the expectation of getting advice. I also use TeenHelp for social purposes and meeting new people who I can befriend.

3) I agree with what was said that point number three may need a little work and that it may be accomplished with Articles or Resources. Perhaps we can also have guided discussions either on the forums or in Chat (although I know we did away with FDs).

4) Perhaps incentives for volunteering besides the awards we currently use. Also incentives for non-staff to get involved and be recognized without necessarily having to join staff.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 4th 2018, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onism. View Post

3) I agree with what was said that point number three may need a little work and that it may be accomplished with Articles or Resources. Perhaps we can also have guided discussions either on the forums or in Chat (although I know we did away with FDs).

4) Perhaps incentives for volunteering besides the awards we currently use. Also incentives for non-staff to get involved and be recognized without necessarily having to join staff.

These two would be awesome. Shows how uncreative I am! I volunteer because I love the site but I think incentives besides awards would be great and it might be a way to show ALL volunteers they are appreciated as not every volunteer gets noticed etc. Incentives for non-staff might help too or maybe do more competitions and the winner gets xyz?

I think guided discussions would be a good idea but maybe outside of chat and in the forums that way people wouldn't have to show up at a particular time? We could just have a thread with a particular discussion and people could comment back and forth for a week or something. I think the biggest issue with the FD's was timing and a guided forum might be done in a way where people don't have to show up at a set time? Maybe a set week. Not sure exactly but I think guided discussions are good and it could be done but when it's live it's harder to get more involved. Especially if people have family who are not aware of their use so they can't make an excuse to get away.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 4th 2018, 12:51 PM

I like the points Dez and Jenna both made regarding incentive and regularly scheduled discussions that takes place over the course of one week, once or twice a month. I remember having to get myself away from family obligations every Saturday at 8PM when I really didn't want to so I could attend the old FCRDs and it was a pain. So I think having it take place on the forums would be a great idea.

Incentives besides awards for staff members and as well as non staff members would be a good idea. Because I do know there are a few members on the site, who aren't interested in becoming a volunteer, who give wonderful advice. So it'd be nice to take those users into consideration as well.

I think Dez and Jenna pretty much covered it all! If I have any more ideas, I'll add them later.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 4th 2018, 05:31 PM

What does TeenHelp mean to you personally? Teenhelp means so much to me, this place is one of the safest places that I can come and say whatever is going on with me. I don't always tell others about what is wrong with me or going on in my family or at school. But this place made me feel that it is okay to open up to other people and let them in and ask for help. I come onto teenhelp when I have no other place to go and I need help and I know that someone is going to listen to me and help me with whatever is going on with me, I'm very thankful I was able to find this. It's the best place that I have joined.

How do you use it? I use this by being a Helplink Mentor. No matter who comes on I am so glad that I am able to help them out with what they are going through. I want to make them feel better no matter what they have asked for on the Helplink and other posts. I am thankful to be part of that.

Are we currently fulfilling our Mission Statement? I believe that we are. I will always go back to the first Mission Statement, because that one says ( to provide support and advice to anyone in need). I really like this because it doesn't matter who you are, anyone is welcome to come onto teenhelp and get the help and support for what you are going through and I'm glad, for that.

Is there more that we could do? I like the idea's of the others are saying too about this. It's all great!

Or are you simply happy that our current Mission Statement is about right? (That's okay too!) I'm not sure what to add.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Aaron, Offline
Crumbling away
Average Joe

Name: Aaron

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 4th 2018, 06:59 PM

TH is a place overflowing with nostalgia. I joined in 2006 as an angsty lil 13 year old . It represents a place where I could have peoples to talk to. Looking back it was nice to have the problems I had then, as most are the least of my worries today. It sucks its not as active. Cant really fall back on it. Its pretty inactive now and most of the shit im dealing with at the problems are adult problems. So. I come back here whenever I feel like shit. Browse through these youngins posts and think back to a time of total dispair that in someways I was better off than today

Make The Chatroom Great Again. And somehow brong back the arcade.

7:55 AM [Hotard] everything is triggering
7:55 AM [Hotard] what if someone is allergic to the dough
7:55 AM [Hotard] and they get maniac rage burst
11:22 AM [Metallica] men think with their penises...to some extent
11:22 AM [~Emily~] One head or the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess~
There is no way that you are pregnant, and if you are your child is Jesus.
  Send a message via AIM to Aaron, Send a message via MSN to Aaron,  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 6th 2018, 06:54 PM

TeenHelp is my safe place, my second home. I don't really bother with other forums much, and don't have a whole lot of people in my life that would understand things. Even if I struggle with seemingly silly problems, I like that I can post things here (even safer now with the anonymous posting) without being judged.

I do sometimes use TeenHelp to get advice or support, and sometimes make friends along the way. But these days I do tend to offer more support. But this has helped me build confidence in myself since I never thought I could help others. I also use the blog to just vent about things or post the odd happy things....it's interesting to look back on my past entries and see how far I've come.

I think TeenHelp does for the most part fulfil the mission statement, but I do also agree with Jenna in terms of number 3 and 6 and utilising articles and resources more as well as encouraging people to reach out. I think we do well with numbers 1 and 2 and I absolutely love number 5.

Pretty much agree with Jenna and Dez about getting more users involved and incentives for both staff and non staff. Not sure what though.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 8th 2018, 05:32 PM

The Mission Statement is excellent and ticks all my boxes. The help, encouragement and support I have received has been wonderful.

I particularly appreciate topic headers having that drop-down menu (Triggering (SH) or whatever, so I can choose whether to read or not to.

I feel very safe here. People are friendly and caring.

Except it's taking a long time to increase my post count when posting in, eg. games my post count does not increase. That does encourage posting even if the games are fun.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 11th 2018, 02:25 AM

1. Since 2011, TeenHelp has been my safe haven and provided me with a much needed sense of community. Through the site, I have learned how to handle the various stresses that occur in my life, whether it's dealing with a minor inconvenience or managing my depression in a positive and healthy way. I have also met some incredible people that made me feel so much less alone at a point in my life where I really needed to feel like someone was on my side. TeenHelp is like a home to me and has given me a safe place to land on countless occasions when I didn't trust myself to stay out of harms way. I genuinely believe that I would be in a much different place if I hadn't stumbled onto this site via a random Google search one day.

2. Nowadays, I primarily use TeenHelp to give back what I took from it when I first joined. I don't post threads asking for advice or input too often anymore. But, the positives that came from being able to do that when I needed to (and if I ever need to again) have kept me around and made me want to give back to this community in any way that I can. For the most part, I'm hanging out in Chat, responding to threads, talking to users, or contributing to some form of publication to help make resources and information more accessible to other users.

3. For the most part, I think the Mission Statement ticks all of the necessary boxes and does a pretty good job of explaining what TeenHelp is all about. That being said, I agree that point #3 could use a bit of tweaking. While I think the site does a decent job bringing awareness to different issues, I do feel that it can be a bit lacking when it comes to calls to action. I think the ideas that Jenna and Dez came up with about using publications and guided discussions of some sort could really help the site reach this goal more fully.

4. I'm really not sure what the best way to go about this would be, but I do think we need to come up with a way to engage more users. I remember back in the day when it seemed like the site was always busy, which kept making me want to come back when I first joined. I know it's easier said than done, but finding a way to bring back that interaction between users will not only make the site an even more welcoming place, but will most likely lead users to engage more with everything that TeenHelp has to offer.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 11th 2018, 06:55 PM

I must add that since joining TeenHelp, I am becoming much more attached and I think a lot of how I feel is because members and staff are including me in their friend's lists. In the limited experience I have of forums, this is a terrific step in bringing people together, and staff nurturing their members is very valuable indeed.

Thank you!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Rob Offline
Project Coordinator

Jeez, get a life!

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - April 27th 2018, 09:57 PM

Hi everybody, final chance to send in your comments before the deadline!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Rob Offline
Project Coordinator

Jeez, get a life!

Re: What does TeenHelp mean to you? - May 4th 2018, 11:32 PM

Hi everybody, thank you for your comments! I will now begin reviewing these and use them to update our Mission Statement very shortly.

Closed Thread