TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SS x Vengeance Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amanda

What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 09:48 AM

I was just wondering earlier about how I got to where I'm at in life and I just thought it would be interesting to her about others. What in your life transformed you into the person you are today?

I need to meet someone who gets me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 11:17 AM

My parent's divorce. That abusive relationship, my sister always being there, and now her needing me. Me never asking people for help, cause I just can't trust. I may not be perfect, but I like me.
I've been shaped by doing charity work, by meeting new people and finding my the one path I really want to follow in life.

But above all, my mother. She's the one person who's never let me down, and without her, I'd never have turned out half as well as I did, for reasons no other can understand, she made me me.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 11:58 AM

whats made me, me ? is good question, i know whats made me a mess, but i dont know whats made me me. i guess everything thats happened to me has made me, me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 12:02 PM

My depression, for sure. The endless task of trying to survive it has been interesting(?). It's all I can really remember as being significant throughout my teenage years, to be honest. I guess the whole struggling with it alone was hard, trying to get help was even harder. I'm getting help now and that's hard too. I guess my emotions just seem to have dominated my life. That doesn't sound too good, but I guess it's just made me who I am. I can say that I'm here and that I'm still alive, I got myself through the times when everyone would just laugh at me. The cause/catalyst of my depression? I'm not sure. Unresolved issues. Mainly, I think that's honestly what has made me the person that I am today.

Sounds all cliché probably, but places like this have also shaped me alongside my depression. It's made me feel more comfortable with talking to others about their problems and trying to support and help them as well as making it easier to talk about my own. That means a lot to me, I love being able to talk to people and give them support.

Oh, photography aswell - it's helped me see true beauty, if I hadn't taken up photography, I'm not sure that i'd have been able to appreciate the beauty of things as much as I do now.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 12:25 PM

My brother. He has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and I've had to live seeing him struggle to do the simplest of tasks. Its a genetic disorder which has influenced what I want to be. I'm going to do genetics at uni ^_^

But yeah, I guess since he also has Learning difficulties its learnt me to be more patient and caring.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 01:31 PM

Whats made me me would have to be.. the last two years of my life. Things have kinda been really bad, depression, sh etc. But I feel like I'm through the worst of it, but it made me who I am today, I don't think I was a good person before it all started, basically, I was a bratty bitch. But after it all, I've completely changed. It all made me grow up, I mean, I'm still REALLY immature, but at the same time, mature about a lot of things. Thats what transformed me into the person I am today.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Naomi. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Naomi

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 02:57 PM

I belive that everything I have been through and i am going through hopefully has/will make me a better person.
It has given me the ability to empathise.
And I can learn from them.

Dream ♥

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 03:04 PM

The horribleness of my childhood, the pressure put on me by my dad to be the 'perfect daughter', bullies, depression, bad friends. All the bad stuff I guess. Not really too keen on the person I am today but Hey, that's who I am.

x

(#9 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 03:48 PM

I honestly don't think that I can narrow what made me into ME to one things. So many things have shaped me and changed me.

When I was younger, my grandparents basically raised me. My parents worked, I went home to eat (sometimes) and sleep. The area that I was raised in has also shaped me. I'm a country girl. As a child, I was dressed as you see in those movies. Long skirts, dresses that move, lots of jewelry, boots, etc. I was the ultimate little hick. I was raised with more animals in my life than people. Before I went to school, all I knew was my grandparents, church, and a few children. I spent most of my time with the animals. I think not having children around made me slightly anti-social.

When I was in elementary school, I was teased ruthlessly. I was different, I was a little overweight. Kids were cruel. I was so smart, so smart. I blame the system. I was not placed in Gifted until my 5th grade year. However, when I was a 2nd grader I was reading at a post high school graduate level and they did nothing for me. You can't let children slip through the cracks like that. When I was in fifth grade, due to the pressure of people around me, I started cutting.

I've been cutting for six years now. That has shaped me. As I've said many times, I'm glad that this happened. Not happy, I wouldn't wish it on anyone else, but it has changed me for the better. Sometimes I hate it, but I've developed compassion for people.

Because of this compassion, this year I've joined the Key Club and I've done community service work. I'm proud of that. I'm happy that I can help others and change them for the better.

Another thing that has changed me for the better is softball. As a child, I played because it was what my parents wanted. However, I turned it into something that I love. I'm always practicing. I've played on my school team for three years. I'm proud of that. I'm an outfielder. In our recreation ball, that is generally where they put the kids that "suck". But, not in this case. I am one of the best outfielders in this county. I'm the only person whose primary position was outfield to make the All Star team. That is something to be proud of. I've proved to myself that I can do this.

For a while, I used and abused drugs and alcohol. That has changed me. I know that I no longer want that life for myself and I have to use my willpower to keep me out of that circle.

--A

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Here come the rain clouds..
Not a n00b

Name: Anna

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 03:52 PM

I suppose my past and current things going on in my life has made me who I am today. I'm stronger and wiser from it all, but some of me still continues to haunt me. But, I am who I am - I can't change it.

And that was that.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 05:25 PM

I think my past kind of made the person I am at this moment. Over the years I guess I've learnt to deal with things better and it's made me stronger, I'm still struggling but *fingers crossed* I'll pull through.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Samantha

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 05:40 PM

I moved A LOT throughout my life. And my sister got pregnant during the summer after she graduated from high school and i am her duaghter's godmother and aunt. I pretty much have to be the mom for our family because my mom obviously cant.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 05:52 PM

I don't think we can know who we are this early, that's something one finally comes into sometime in their thirties. Trust me, sometimes it seems like one can know, but then in early twenties hit rough turbulence that makes them question things... teen angst, turbulent twenties, guess the thirties are where the game's at.

If I had to say it would be parents and environment can shape a person, mainly because I've been avoiding nature all my life - because that side's been lost to me.

Last edited by ThePunkAlien; May 31st 2009 at 05:58 PM.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chrissy M

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 05:57 PM

My really close family & people who are "family" LMAO....
What I mean is - my mums always been there for me (my dads a different story! Haha Oh well) And my grandparents too.
But my mums best friends through out the 16 years have been part of my family.
And i guess you could say as 90% of them are lesbians - maybe then influence me more than i expected?
Other than that, the death of my baby brother changed me lots.
x--x

C H R I S S Y ... Hates her Reputation!!!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Jaden89 Offline
Taste The Rainbow...
Average Joe

Name: Malissa

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 06:40 PM

I would have to say that my family and friends are what made me who I am today, a lot of people have helped me with the numerous problems I faced growing up and sure I still have troubles now and then but everyone does. I don't think I would be the same person I am now if it weren't for my family and friends.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jaden89  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
asphyxiated Offline
Next stop: Land of Sueños
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 07:36 PM

My family and friends, current and past have shaped me.
They each in turn kind of molded me into who they wanted me to be, and I tried to take the best qualities from each.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
wanderlust Offline
zz
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 08:43 PM

my family, and my schools (well the people in it) but had i gone to the wrong secondary i would be royally screwed right now i would imagine.

A single thread in a tapestry
Through its color brightly shine
Can never see its purpose
In the pattern of the grand design

(#18 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What made you the person you are today? - May 31st 2009, 11:16 PM

There are a lot of things.. but I think my friends especially, have made me who I am. The friends I've made on TH, I'm closer to then my real life friends and without some of them, I wouldn't be here right now. My closest friend, who I met here, is the one who helped me to stop cutting, drinking, and overdosing.. she helped me to see that life really is worth living.

I'd like to say my past has helped me be who I am as well but, hmm, I'm not really sure if that's true. Yes, there are certain things that have definitely had an effect on me but not as much as other things have.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 1st 2009, 03:54 PM

My struggle with depression and self harm has made me who I am today in many ways. Those things have made me a much stronger and more empathetic person. I am more intune to others feelings, which I think is a very important thing. Babysitting has made me who I am today too. Kids have a way of making me so happy and just have so much love and laughter inside of them! The death of my friend this past December has shaped who I am. She died in a car accident, and that made me realize we cannot take anything for granted and we should live life to the fullest everyday. My uncle who committed suicide in October has shaped me too, because it has taught me that even when you feel so alone, deep down there are so many people who love and appreciate you.

I've learned a lot of life lessons from my parents, aunt, and my grandparents too. And I feel that the way I was raised in such a strict household has made me who I am too.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#20 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 1st 2009, 04:49 PM

i owe a lot to my mum, she's the only person in my life who's never let me down, and the only person who i know never will. even though we have our arguments i know she loves me unconditionally no matter what. also my friends have made me into the person that i am, especially my best guy friend and my three best girl friends. to say they are amazing doesn't do them justice. without them i'd be nothing like i am today.

getting ill as well i suppose. it's toughened me up a lot and given me a completley new outlook on life.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 1st 2009, 05:00 PM

I had a hard time when my grandma died when I was 9. She looked after my sister and I every day after school, we saw her most weekend days and she almost always came on holiday with us. She had a stroke and was in intensive care, the doctors would only let my mam and aunt see her that day and said she would make it through the night and then grankids could see her, so my parents promised me I could see her the next day. I got up excited to see her only to find she had died in the night. I couldn't stop crying for weeks. She taught me so much, and losing her has enforced everything she ever taught me.
The christmas day after my dad told us he was moving to New Zealand while we visiting his mam there, and he didn't want us staying. He has stayed but threatened four more seperate time when we got back, but being the oldest of four I had to support my mam and three siblings through my nan dying and my dad threatening to leave. It made me grow up a heck of a lot.
I was always [and still am] the 'ugly/boring/geeky' girl in school which I got immensly bullied for. My last ex changed how I saw myself. He was popular and good looking and he told me the opposites to everything anyone had ever said, every single day. It's made me a lot more confident, whether I am what everyone calls me or not. He also got me through a lot of angst I had over what had happened in my past and taught me to forgive people who had hurt me.
I suffer from depression, but I have learned to handle it a lot better than I did before. I would definately have my ex and my mam to thank for that.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#22 (permalink)) Old
emilyerin88 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 1st 2009, 05:46 PM

My family. I am a first generation college student and that has driven me to keep going even when I feel like I should give up. I know that first-generations aren't that rare anymore, but it's a big deal to me...everything I do, I do for my mom, because I know that it would make her proud to know that she raised a success.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
lvpeyton Offline
stronger than yesterday
Average Joe

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 1st 2009, 06:18 PM

what made me -me- is a number of things, but a few key things that stand out are my parents divorce and how i saw my dad treat me mom (abusively). then my own abusive relationships. love failing. pressure to be perfect and to hear someone someday tell me that i'm good enough.

"All these short times feel like no time, I thought you ought to know."

“Sometimes you have to forget about what you want, and remember what you deserve.”

(#24 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 1st 2009, 07:32 PM

I think getting kicked out of school & moving house because of it mademe the person I am today.

If I didnt get kicked out of school, we wouldnt of needed to move, if we didnt need to move I wouldnt have started a new school.

If I didnt have gone to a new school, I wouldnt have been bullied & got bad grades.

If I wasnt bullied with bad grades, I wouldnt of started hearing voices.

If I didnt start hearing vioces, I wouldnt have been sectioned. If I wasnt sectioned I wouldnt of spent my late teenage years in hospital.

If I didnt spend my teenage years in hospital, I wouldnt be who I am today.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 1st 2009, 07:57 PM

God.
I have always been taught about God, and just my loved ones being around them, they are always there when I need them..Losing my Grandpa when I was 8 years old, remembering what a Godly person he was...My parents divorcing when I was 11, and finding out evil things about both of them. Having my sister always there for me.
Feb. 12,05. My last talk to my best friend, telling him how much I hated him[I was mad at the moment] and finding out he died the next day.
*Never say things you don't mean, they may be the last thing you say to a person.
Things happen for a reason, we might not see the "why" right now but later on you understand. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
lauren18uk Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lauren

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 2nd 2009, 10:46 PM

I think being abused by my Dad, i was only 4 years old, and i think the actual realisation that even the closest most trusted people in your life can let you down was a hard concept for me so young to get my head around.
Experiencing that intense level of dissapointment within someone who is supposed to protect, someone who is supposed to be your universe when your so small has altered every single thing i do in life, every decision i make. Yet hopefully it has also made me a much stronger person than i could ever have hoped to have been.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
FastForward2012 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 2nd 2009, 11:00 PM

my childhood.being abused.having best friendships end. being cheated on. going through depression,SH,and suicide.losing close family members.losing everyone.

To Write Love On Her Arms<3

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 3rd 2009, 11:42 AM

I don't see it in black and white that just a few situations and experiences have shaped me, i think everything, even day-to-day life shapes my existance and meaning, as new things happen every single day which change the way i percieve life.

Ok, ive never been abused, ive never been depressed or suicidal, i guess ive always had a nice childhood and been optimistic about whats to come.
I was manipulated hugely when i was about 10 - 13 by my "friends" at the time because i was so naive and and i hate to say it, fragile and dependant of them. That definately made me grow up and be more independant.

My parents divorced when i was a baby which i am thankful for. I love them both, but i know my life would be such a bad place if they hadn't. I have a small family, only living with my mother who is often at work. I have a sibling who has no moved out. I mean, i have friends and a boyfriend but i need a certain amount of time alone alot which i guess shapes me on a constant because it means i think about things a hell of alot when im at home on my own.

I used to be pretty naive i guess for the reason of never having a huge amount of people around me to learn from. Obviously im still as naive as any other seventeen year old but ive definetely grown so much in the last couple of years.
Oh and my ex-bestfriend who cut me out of her life suddenly - now thats shaped me. It hurt so much, i can't even explain, but i know it will help me get over any other friendship - relationship down falls.

Last edited by Keep Calm and Eat Cake; June 3rd 2009 at 11:49 AM.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
VanishingActs Offline
~kiss it better~
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 3rd 2009, 12:39 PM

I've definately been shaped by my family, in particular my mum. She's always taught me that she will love me and be proud of me no matter what so I think that might be why I'm so family orientated. I can't be too far away from them.

Live on love.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Half doomed and semi-sweet <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rhia.

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 4th 2009, 10:21 AM

The absence of any proper parenting as a child and teenager has shaped me alot.
My father was abusive - he had alot of mental problems. Most people would know him as a psychopath, he was never in my life for long but it's left deep marks. I lived with my mom and two older sisters when I was little up until I was 9, when my mother moved in with a new boyfriend and my sisters moved out in dissaproval. I had always been taken care of by the middle sister, I don't remember eating a whole lot but when I did eat it was always the meals that my middle sister made me. I don't remember my mother ever cooking for me once. I don't remember much of my mother at all. When I had to live with her and her boyfriend I was cut off from my sisters and grandparents and also my best friend who I loved and cherished asif she were another sister. So all i've had is me for pretty much as long as I can remember. Now that i'm older i've seen the rest of my family shy away from me. I'm the evil spawn of the lunatic psychopath and get treated like such by my aunts, cousins and most other family you can think of, although to my knowlege i've not done anything to provoke this.

That's who I am now, I don't see other people as being NECESSARY to my survival at all. Family to me is temporary, friends are even less important so I don't keep many. I have myown little world where people need a V.I.P pass to get anywhere close. Although the internet has done two things - it's re-enforced myown little world, at one point making me so cold that I was hardly even human but on the other hand it's also helped with my communication alot, like TH, that's helping me.

It's forced me into indipendance, into growing up. I can see things alot more clearly than other people can. I see pros and cons to this. More Pros then there are cons in all honesty.

H a p p i n e s s.
  Send a message via MSN to 20 Dollar Nose Bleed  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 4th 2009, 09:24 PM

A lot of the things I've had to face that I don't think I ever imagined I would have to, but I'm luck that I've learnt from them and I've realised that everything that happens to you helps make you who you are, you don't just wake up one morning and find yourself to be someone, you become them by fighting all your battles... if that makes any sense?

This site... I'm not even joking.
It's opened my eyes to so many things, it's proved to me that there will be people to stand by me no matter what and that there really are people out there who care a lot about me. This site has really opened my mind as I used to be a pretty narrow minded person, but I've learnt a lot from you lot (including how to appreciate a good innuendo )
It's just answered a lot of question that I thought would tear me apart.
Darn it I love you guys.

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 4th 2009, 10:17 PM

Well everything that happens to me Though ironic to some other posts, NOT believing in a religion after 14 years of believing in Christianity has made me feel better about myself and more accepting of others. Also, being gay I have learned to never judge others because you have NO idea what they're going through. Also, getting picked on a lot when I was younger may have been bad but I think it has helped me become a better person.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 19th 2009, 12:50 AM

What has really shaped me to be who I am today, was my parents. They were not (and still are not) the type of people I can tell them about my teenage plans. for example, I don't go to house parties, because they wouldn't dare let me. They are cool with a lot of things under their supervision, and i don't like that. I want to be more independent.

All the fighting in my household from time to time has shaped me. Made me feel out there, like I was alone. I really didn't have anyone to talk to about my problems until 10th grade.

my friend has shaped me tremendously, I probably wouldn't be here, if it wasn't for him.

Also my love of the sport of swimming has shaped me. It was a love hate relationship, that soon turned into a mentality of my body, that remains with me today.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
PureLithium Offline
Equestrian
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Re: What made you the person you are today? - June 19th 2009, 03:01 AM

What made me myself today was the horses I've worked with and the people I've gotten to know. Without the horses and friends I have today, I'd never discover my passion and who I truly am. I've always found animals horses especially, as the ones I can trust and learn the most from. They taught me patience which helped me cope with all the things going on around me. I learned confidence if a great thing and they really raised my self esteem. being able to control a 1000 pound animal gave me a huge deal of confidence. I began see the true meaning of life and what my purpose was in this world and that was to work with horses and help the ones I love. All I've ever wanted to do was please the people around me. I was able to please my friends with horses, my riding instructor with the improvements I had made, my parents, everyone. So yeah I guess horses made me who I am today.

As for the friends I have, they had taught me it was ok to be myself. It was ok to laugh and live. I have friends who aren't afraid to be themselves and they taught me that being an individual isn't so bad. Following the crowd isn't everything. I'd much rather be an individual and have people love me for who I am and not for who I am pretending to be. I have my friends to thank for showing me the brighter side of things.
  Send a message via Yahoo to PureLithium  
Closed Thread