TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Self Care. - October 18th 2020, 07:30 AM

How do you all engage in self care?

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1357056 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
sauorkan Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Self Care. - October 18th 2020, 10:57 PM

All my means of managing self-care is done on the computer, but sometimes that can get exhausting and I become immune.

On the computer, I utilize:
Blogging, mainly on a private Wordpress account.
Reading fanfiction, but that depends on how I'm feeling.
Listening to music, usually the lyric-less Zen kinds.

In the real world, I utilize:
Also listening to relaxing songs on specialized music channels.
Going out for walks on nice, sunny, cooler days.
Reading books on Kindle, while sitting outside with coffee.
Talking to anyone who is willing to listen, usually my counselor.

Articles WriterNewsletter EditorResource EditorSocial Media GuruChat BuddyHelpLINK Mentor
Forum Moderator
Community Moderator

TeenHelp Member since 2010

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maleficent Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Self Care. - October 18th 2020, 11:16 PM

Whenever I get the chance, I:

Listen to music.
Sleep (when I can).
Talk to friends.
Crochet or Knit.
Read.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Self Care. - October 19th 2020, 03:45 AM

I'm curious to know what you all do so I can take on board what ones to do myself.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Walk through the fire.

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: Self Care. - October 19th 2020, 07:09 AM

It took me a while to realise this, but I used to do a lot of self-soothing and think of it as self-care. For me, now, self-care is the stuff that takes effort but will pay off in the long run, not the stuff that makes me feel better in the moment (i.e. the stuff I need to do, not necessarily what I want to do). There is some crossover (for example taking a bubble bath counts as both self-care and self-soothing because it's productive but also relaxing) and sometimes I do both at once or one after the other, but in my mind the two are distinct.

Things I do for self-care include: washing my sheets (or at least properly making my bed); cooking a good meal; having a bath or shower; going for a walk or doing yoga; cleaning or at least tidying an area of the house; writing about or talking through how I'm feeling. Self-soothing activities are more along the lines of: eating junk food; sleeping in/napping; watching comfort shows; using scented candles; listening to certain music.

Both have their place and can have positive results, but I have to keep in mind that forcing myself to do things even when all I want to do is hide away from the world can actually be the most compassionate choice I can make. Sometimes I do just need to self-soothe, but most of the time the urge to do so is stemming from negative emotions that would be better resolved by being more active and engaging in actual self-care.

throw yourself into the unknown
with pace & a fury defiant.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
screaming at the sky

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Self Care. - October 19th 2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefeathers. View Post
It took me a while to realise this, but I used to do a lot of self-soothing and think of it as self-care. For me, now, self-care is the stuff that takes effort but will pay off in the long run, not the stuff that makes me feel better in the moment (i.e. the stuff I need to do, not necessarily what I want to do). There is some crossover (for example taking a bubble bath counts as both self-care and self-soothing because it's productive but also relaxing) and sometimes I do both at once or one after the other, but in my mind the two are distinct.

Things I do for self-care include: washing my sheets (or at least properly making my bed);
I've been thinking this way, too. A big part of self-care for me is forcing myself to do things I don't want to do, like making myself go to my appointments because they'll help me overall, even when I really don't want to. Doing my physical therapy and its exercises is another.

There's nothing like freshly washed sheets, though. Something about them is comforting. I guess for self-care I try to balance what I eat, and get outside when I can. I push myself to do my schoolwork and go to my appointments. On the more soothing side of self-care, I like to burn candles or wax melts, I change my body care scent to keep grounded, I do a face mask, paint my nails, or read. I love hiking too.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016
12.04.19 & 06.10.20

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Outreach and Communications Officer

I can't get enough

Re: Self Care. - October 19th 2020, 10:51 PM

I do a variety of self care activities. It also depends on how I am feeling and what I need.

Taking a hot shower and moving my muscles or standing under the water. I have the water on luke warm water.
I also have a shower brush and wash my body, especially my back, which is soothing.

I blast music and dance, or simply blast music and listen to it.

I watch TV or a movie. I read on my phone, mostly news articles or things going on within my city so I read what others are talking about.

Sometimes, I have a glass of wine with my dinner.

Or I simply order in, if I feel like it.

I think about all the positives in my life and not so much about the negatives.

Sometimes, all I need is to just sit and stare at nothing. I just want to feel at peace, it's relaxing for me and it calms me down.

Other times, I wash the dishes or brush my teeth. Take my dog for a walk just to get out of my apartment and smell the fresh air and look at nature and different surroundings.

I do hum to myself or talk to my dog because for me it's self care as I am checking in with him, asking him a question out loud, allowing myself to hear myself.

Those are some of my self care activities that I do.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Self Care. - October 21st 2020, 10:05 AM

I go to the gym.

Going to the gym isn't just about keeping fit. It releases a lot of feel-good energy. It creates positivity in ones self that we're doing something healthy and good, and we're doing it just for ourselves. It's such a great feeling to exercise, and to then start seeing all the results pay off. Seeing results after exercising encourages me to keep going.

I know a lot of people also go to the gym for their mental health, it's why there's such an uproar in the UK right now about the government closing gyms due to coronavirus. It's a way of escaping life's stressors and it truly does help improve symptoms of depression.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Re: Self Care. - October 21st 2020, 02:05 PM

I love this question!

I think for me, it is about setting aside "me time" everyday. I cannot function if I continuously work throughout the day. I get cranky if I go without a nice evening where I get to do the things I love after a day of college work. Being productive is super important to me, but I need some time for myself every day after checking all the things of my daily to-do list (in fact, having this me-time helps me boost my productivity). Usually this me-time starts from 5-6pm every evening, because I spend my mornings and afternoons attending lectures, doing assignments, going to the lab for my thesis work, etc.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kirtas Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Self Care. - October 22nd 2020, 11:32 PM

Yes, actually, I live for my own pleasure

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Self Care. - October 25th 2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefeathers. View Post

Things I do for self-care include: washing my sheets (or at least properly making my bed); cooking a good meal; having a bath or shower; going for a walk or doing yoga; cleaning or at least tidying an area of the house; writing about or talking through how I'm feeling. Self-soothing activities are more along the lines of: eating junk food; sleeping in/napping; watching comfort shows; using scented candles; listening to certain music.

Both have their place and can have positive results, but I have to keep in mind that forcing myself to do things even when all I want to do is hide away from the world can actually be the most compassionate choice I can make. Sometimes I do just need to self-soothe, but most of the time the urge to do so is stemming from negative emotions that would be better resolved by being more active and engaging in actual self-care.
I often thought about this as well. I often 'force' myself to do things which I find to be more satisfying when I do cross things off my to do list.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
kevinbear Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Self Care. - November 5th 2020, 07:58 AM

I really impressed this stuff such a nice content post

(#13 (permalink)) Old
RebLinn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Self Care. - November 19th 2020, 06:11 AM

I live with my parents, so taking care of myself is also taking care of my whole family. We try to respect other people's privacy, but we still often do things together, such as cooking dinner. This is good for removing depressive thoughts.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Self Care. - November 20th 2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebLinn View Post
I live with my parents, so taking care of myself is also taking care of my whole family. We try to respect other people's privacy, but we still often do things together, such as cooking dinner. This is good for removing depressive thoughts.

This is a nice one.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Hollie

Re: Self Care. - November 21st 2020, 04:57 PM

Depending on how my mood is I do different things, but some of my best self-care routines are:

1. Reading a book
2. Having a long lay in in the mornings
3. Drinking a good cup of coffee
4. Having a long shower, doing a face mask/skin care routine - this one always helps me feel more alert and productive, and like I'm actually making an effort with life!

A paradox:
The things you don’t need to live—
books, art, cinema, wine, and so on—
are the things you need to live

- Matt Haig

Community Mentor | Outreach Ambassador | Articles Writer | Forum Moderator
VM|PM

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Self Care. - November 23rd 2020, 09:02 AM

I thik I may need to steal some of your self-care ideas.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
JohnNix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Self Care. - November 24th 2020, 03:57 PM

Care about yourself is really important!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Re: Self Care. - December 1st 2020, 01:10 PM

Every morning in addishun to reading my bible I use a Guided Meditation what was written spesh for me by my partner.

It is alway helpful. Helps me to gather my thoughts together, ready for the day ahead.

I can post it here if anyone would like it.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Self Care. - December 4th 2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chops View Post
Every morning in addishun to reading my bible I use a Guided Meditation what was written spesh for me by my partner.

It is alway helpful. Helps me to gather my thoughts together, ready for the day ahead.

I can post it here if anyone would like it.
That would be great!

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Self Care. - December 5th 2020, 06:06 AM

Maman used the spell checker so at least it would be legible. Most days I use this. It is very good. Print it off if you like.

Guided Meditation

I've read many books and online articles on meditation and mindfulness, but decided I could only work out for me what would feel best if I self-meditated outside in our woodland forest. Using some meditative words I found and felt most comfortable with, such as 'a cool breeze', then I could happily work with that and build on it. Over time I used this imaginative 'cool breeze' to be the carrier or my troubled thoughts.

I found a clearing among the trees where lush green moss grew instead of just grass, so I made a semicircle with rocks and placed a larger one in the centre of the clearing so it would become a focal point. This rock is really a large, valuable and very heavy amethyst geode. It is only brought out and placed in the centre of my private place when I want to meditate, or do so with my wife.

It's nice to come out here and meditate or read a book, or just think. If we are fortunate to find a peaceful place, then we can return to it. It could be in a room which feels most peaceful; where you won't be disturbed. My place among the trees feels peaceful, so I come here when I feel the need to unwind and take in the beauty that is all around. This place, then, is my spot to meditate.

Just get comfortable, whatever it takes and sit on if it's just a cushy pillow, cushion or a a comfy woollen blanket. Sit in a lotus position if you want. Sometimes I sit just cross-legged, or sit back with my ankles resting over the other. You can even lie down if you like, but you could run the risk of falling asleep. If you like, you can hold your thumb to your pinky, or just place your palm upon your knees. Whatever makes you feel the most comfortable, secure, and at ease. Just let the stress seep out, don't worry about doing anything right or wrong, and don't judge yourself. You have found this place, it is yours and yours alone.

Take a deep breath, take a few more to calm yourself down...there is no hurry. Concentrate on your steady breathing in and counting...one...two...three with each inhale; and then slowly out...one...two...three....

Now I want you to close your eyes. Close your eyes and go inward. Listen to your inner voice as it speaks in tandem with my words. Listen to it.... and let it go. Any thoughts you may have...any worries...or fears, or criticisms, just simply hear them....and then let them go without any further response or judgement from you.

Your mind will wander off and it will tell you what it thinks.....Okay, simply acknowledge those thoughts, for you are not your fears...Acknowledge the thoughts as they come; - and then let them go, and then come back to your center. Come back to the quiet and comfort of this private place, of this moment...of my voice, and of our existence right here in this reality.

I want you to feel the cooling breeze as it blows around us. Take a ride on it.... The breeze cares not what people think about it. The breeze just continues to blow in whatever direction it feels compelled to in this.... very moment. And such is our life....We change direction whenever we feel compelled to. If we force ourselves to blow in one direction, but our heart tells us we should be blowing in the opposite direction, there will be internal conflict....There will be disarray. But you can thwart this disarray with your own energy, blowing like the wind, travelling on the cool breeze as it goes wherever it wills....

Feel it in your toes: A cool tingle of energy. And watch it as it moves to your ankles, up your legs. Feel that sensation enter your thighs, up into your feminine center - your yoni - feel it course through your pelvis and hips.... into your belly, and up through your chest.....The energy streams down into your arms and into your finger tips....It comes back....slowly.... to your elbows, to your shoulders....and up into your neck and into your head. Let it float there for a moment, until that energy exits through the top of your head and shoots into the stars above us.....streaming up, up, up into the sky and out into the universe.

In our mind, thoughts and fears can overcrowd our way of thinking, reasoning. Worries maybe of losing our job, or falling ill, or falling into debt, but if we take a deliberate direction through meditations, then we are consciously allowing ourselves to let these thoughts go....letting them dissolve into the ether without further conscious judgement. In the beginning it's hard to do. Really hard. But if we soldier on, we can overcome so much when in a meditative, peaceful state of mind, when we relax our bodies and our mind and take on that energy that comes from within to take its journey the very breeze itself.

Whatever thoughts, negative thoughts that enter our head when self-doubting rears its ugly face, know that these thoughts are not you. They don't belong in you, they are not anchored in you when you let go of them to the cooling breeze that takes them away. Our troubled minds are trying to communicate, but all they are is a warning that we are not living in accordance to how we really want to live. When we are in this doubting state, we are not living our authentic selves. But when we let go of these nagging thoughts during meditation, and we give them over to that cool breeze and let it take our thoughts, then letting go can be so releasing. That is why when meditating when we give those negative feelings to the breeze to take them away, and with practise these thoughts can dissolve into nothingness when mediating in this peaceful state of mind.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Self Care. - December 8th 2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chops View Post
Maman used the spell checker so at least it would be legible. Most days I use this. It is very good. Print it off if you like.

Guided Meditation

I've read many books and online articles on meditation and mindfulness, but decided I could only work out for me what would feel best if I self-meditated outside in our woodland forest. Using some meditative words I found and felt most comfortable with, such as 'a cool breeze', then I could happily work with that and build on it. Over time I used this imaginative 'cool breeze' to be the carrier or my troubled thoughts.

I found a clearing among the trees where lush green moss grew instead of just grass, so I made a semicircle with rocks and placed a larger one in the centre of the clearing so it would become a focal point. This rock is really a large, valuable and very heavy amethyst geode. It is only brought out and placed in the centre of my private place when I want to meditate, or do so with my wife.

It's nice to come out here and meditate or read a book, or just think. If we are fortunate to find a peaceful place, then we can return to it. It could be in a room which feels most peaceful; where you won't be disturbed. My place among the trees feels peaceful, so I come here when I feel the need to unwind and take in the beauty that is all around. This place, then, is my spot to meditate.

Just get comfortable, whatever it takes and sit on if it's just a cushy pillow, cushion or a a comfy woollen blanket. Sit in a lotus position if you want. Sometimes I sit just cross-legged, or sit back with my ankles resting over the other. You can even lie down if you like, but you could run the risk of falling asleep. If you like, you can hold your thumb to your pinky, or just place your palm upon your knees. Whatever makes you feel the most comfortable, secure, and at ease. Just let the stress seep out, don't worry about doing anything right or wrong, and don't judge yourself. You have found this place, it is yours and yours alone.

Take a deep breath, take a few more to calm yourself down...there is no hurry. Concentrate on your steady breathing in and counting...one...two...three with each inhale; and then slowly out...one...two...three....

Now I want you to close your eyes. Close your eyes and go inward. Listen to your inner voice as it speaks in tandem with my words. Listen to it.... and let it go. Any thoughts you may have...any worries...or fears, or criticisms, just simply hear them....and then let them go without any further response or judgement from you.

Your mind will wander off and it will tell you what it thinks.....Okay, simply acknowledge those thoughts, for you are not your fears...Acknowledge the thoughts as they come; - and then let them go, and then come back to your center. Come back to the quiet and comfort of this private place, of this moment...of my voice, and of our existence right here in this reality.

I want you to feel the cooling breeze as it blows around us. Take a ride on it.... The breeze cares not what people think about it. The breeze just continues to blow in whatever direction it feels compelled to in this.... very moment. And such is our life....We change direction whenever we feel compelled to. If we force ourselves to blow in one direction, but our heart tells us we should be blowing in the opposite direction, there will be internal conflict....There will be disarray. But you can thwart this disarray with your own energy, blowing like the wind, travelling on the cool breeze as it goes wherever it wills....

Feel it in your toes: A cool tingle of energy. And watch it as it moves to your ankles, up your legs. Feel that sensation enter your thighs, up into your feminine center - your yoni - feel it course through your pelvis and hips.... into your belly, and up through your chest.....The energy streams down into your arms and into your finger tips....It comes back....slowly.... to your elbows, to your shoulders....and up into your neck and into your head. Let it float there for a moment, until that energy exits through the top of your head and shoots into the stars above us.....streaming up, up, up into the sky and out into the universe.

In our mind, thoughts and fears can overcrowd our way of thinking, reasoning. Worries maybe of losing our job, or falling ill, or falling into debt, but if we take a deliberate direction through meditations, then we are consciously allowing ourselves to let these thoughts go....letting them dissolve into the ether without further conscious judgement. In the beginning it's hard to do. Really hard. But if we soldier on, we can overcome so much when in a meditative, peaceful state of mind, when we relax our bodies and our mind and take on that energy that comes from within to take its journey the very breeze itself.

Whatever thoughts, negative thoughts that enter our head when self-doubting rears its ugly face, know that these thoughts are not you. They don't belong in you, they are not anchored in you when you let go of them to the cooling breeze that takes them away. Our troubled minds are trying to communicate, but all they are is a warning that we are not living in accordance to how we really want to live. When we are in this doubting state, we are not living our authentic selves. But when we let go of these nagging thoughts during meditation, and we give them over to that cool breeze and let it take our thoughts, then letting go can be so releasing. That is why when meditating when we give those negative feelings to the breeze to take them away, and with practise these thoughts can dissolve into nothingness when mediating in this peaceful state of mind.
This sounds great! I might have to try it.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Self Care. - December 8th 2020, 11:54 AM

Maman uses this every day, even when she's under the weather. This vershun is pretty good, but keep at it because after a week, its affect accumulates, and one is left feeling happier inside.