TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

International Tolerance Day - November 16th 2021, 05:17 PM

16 November is International Tolerance Day - how do you understand tolerance? Do you consider yourself tolerant? Can you think of any actions or events that promote tolerance?

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1373172 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: International Tolerance Day - November 18th 2021, 09:08 AM

I think this is such a wonderful day. I guess for me personally, it depends on the situation and the person on how tolerant I am.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: International Tolerance Day - November 19th 2021, 02:46 AM

I am tolerant. I am nice to foreign people and I do see them as people, however I personally feel like the over-tolerance of internationals in certain areas has pushed out the local english speaking culture in a lot of instances. I think America should take more of a "browse, but don't touch" relationship with foreigners. Don't force your culture or language on me. And please stop getting annoyed when I can't understand your thick accent (ie. not pronouncing syllables properly). We are only a "melting pot" because this country (founded by white Englishmen) is so great that people from lesser nations wanted to come here to pursue the ideal of the "American dream" during the 19th and 20th century.

When foreigners come here they mostly stick to themselves and create the same social exclusivity that they imagine english speaking Americans to have. Consider Miami for instance: over 65 percent hispanic. Hispanic influence has spread to other areas in south Florida and suddenly the local economic pressure demands that you need to speak Spanish fluently to get a lot of jobs. It is illegal to discriminate against a Spanish speaker for not speaking fluent English if they can still do the job properly, but apparently not illegal for businesses to expect an English speaker to have fluent Spanish. Typical PC bullshit. Even when that isn't an issue, you can get flat out denied a position just for not being Cuban and called a "gringo" in your own country. And its all just "their culture" and "them wanting to stick with themselves". Asians are similar.

Basically, I am all about supporting international culture, but when you come to America, don't try to turn our cities/towns into mini China or mini Cuba.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: International Tolerance Day - November 19th 2021, 02:37 PM

This is not in Current Events and Debates, so I don't want to start an argument. But I will point out the United States was not, in fact, founded by White Englishmen. It was stolen from people who were here long before the English ever came to Northern America. To this day those same people have currently been pushed to the very fringes of society. The White Englishmen who came were immigrants just like those you see today. Just something important to remember.

I believe we should actively try and make this world a better place, and I believe that requires acceptance more than tolerance. "Tolerance," to me, is what you do to deal with something you find uncomfortable and/or unpleasant, but that you deem necessary to do. Society will always be made up of different people and different cultures. I think it's important to be more inclusive and understanding, and to welcome others and be open to learning about and accepting them. This is not an "us" versus "them" kind of thing. We are all a part of this world, and we all have to work together if it's going to be sustainable, because the way it's going it won't be. It can be frustrating and confusing to have language barriers or not understand some customs or cultural beliefs, but it's important to try, or to at least honor and allow others the space to practice them. It goes a long way to creating a better world.
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: International Tolerance Day - November 19th 2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyl View Post
This is not in Current Events and Debates, so I don't want to start an argument. But I will point out the United States was not, in fact, founded by White Englishmen. It was stolen from people who were here long before the English ever came to Northern America. To this day those same people have currently been pushed to the very fringes of society. The White Englishmen who came were immigrants just like those you see today. Just something important to remember.
Thats where people go wrong in their thinking imo. We didnt immigrate here. We displaced and largely replaced the existing native American society. Our numbers quickly outnumbering theirs in the occupied territories.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: International Tolerance Day - November 20th 2021, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Thats where people go wrong in their thinking imo. We didnt immigrate here. We displaced and largely replaced the existing native American society. Our numbers quickly outnumbering theirs in the occupied territories.

We committed genocide. That's the founding history of America. That's a fact. It's also a fact that those same people we murdered, continue to be mistreated by the American government. We were colonizers who committed atrocities against the indigenuous people. That's a fact and, as such, we can share that country with immigrants. Whether they learn the language or not.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: International Tolerance Day - November 22nd 2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Yeah, we displaced people who have inhabited the Western Hemisphere for thousands of years. With us we brought unknown diseases which wiped out these Native populations by the thousands.

Anyways, I don't like the idea of "practicing tolerance" because, it's as someone else said — we should be practicing acceptance. Accept that we are on a planet with eight billion other human beings and many millions of non-human species. We only have one Earth, that has already been around for a few billion years; we humans have only been around for less than a percent of that four and half billion years.

We need to accept that no two people are alike, no two animal are alike, no two beings are alike! We all think differently, we function differently, we behave differently, we have different beliefs, we come from different backgrounds, all walks of life. We need to accept that everyone deserves to be treated like a human animal and all animals need to be treated like they're worthy.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: International Tolerance Day - November 23rd 2021, 11:45 AM

I'm happy this thread received many responses. However, my aim was to focus on tolerance rather than spark debates

I consider myself tolerant because I try to make everybody as comfortable in my presence as possible. It doesn't mean pleasing everyone - far from that! - it's more about being non-judgmental of other people's words, actions, appearance, problems etc. As far as these are not harmful, of course.
I'm aware that 'harmful' could mean different things to different people, but you get my idea

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: International Tolerance Day - November 23rd 2021, 12:10 PM

I understand what you were trying to do, but we live in a world of politically correct terms.

In this instance, that is acceptance as opposed to tolerance.

To me, tolerance means putting up with something you really don't want to bother with, putting up with people or beliefs you don't agree with for the sake of looking like the 'better person' when you really want to argue or be critical. I think that's being more harmful in the long run, as opposed to being helpful.

In addition to living in a word where politically correct terms are the way to go, we also live in a world where debates are healthy. So I think the debate Bibliophile, Garyl, and I started was perfectly fine. We appropriately expressed our opinions; we live in what should be a free society, and we should be allowed to express ourselves.

I accept that Proud90sKid has different beliefs, but do I tolerate it? Hell, no. Because that's where tolerance can be abused, and why the politically correct term accept comes into better use. It's perfectly fine to have debates in this instance, even if it's doesn't seem like it'll ever go anywhere

On the other hand, I do think debates belong in the more accurate forum as opposed to the 'General' forum.

Anyways, that's my tangent 'write for the hell of it' of the day.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
BoyNextDoor Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Drew
Pronouns: he/him

Points: 2,824, Level: 7 Points: 2,824, Level: 7 Points: 2,824, Level: 7

Re: International Tolerance Day - January 25th 2022, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matter View Post
16 November is International Tolerance Day - how do you understand tolerance? Do you consider yourself tolerant? Can you think of any actions or events that promote tolerance?

i think tolerance is when smth bothers u but u don’t make a fuss about it bcuz of how much of a pain it’d for u otherwise. i consider myself tolerant yeah!
and yep! my foster sis definitely promotes tolerance

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro Max using Tapatalk
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10

Re: International Tolerance Day - January 25th 2022, 08:22 AM

I think I'm not really tolerant because happens often I get mad for apparently nothing. Maybe because I was ever the "second choice" in class. I learned how to "live and let live" even if sometimes is really hard to do it.
Closed Thread