TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gone! Offline
Not a n00b

How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 7th 2009, 11:47 PM

I'm sorry, this is a dumb question, but I was wondering how people can feel confident enough to put pictures of themselves on myspace/facebook? I always tell myself I will, and this has been going on for 2 years. I feel like I need to be with my friends in my default picture, so I won't look 'alone.' Because many people associate me with being a 'loner' and 'too quiet' to even think of just taking pictures of myself for fun...

Nowadays, I see that each person is always trying to get as 5 times as in your face as anyone else. Well, if you're one of those preppy/super confident kids. You know those typical 'scene' pictures that are taken at certain angles? I just can't do that, and I don't know how to either.

And how do you pose long enough to do it, anyway? I mean, without showing your arms holding the camera. Do cameras have timers? I'm not very good with them.

How do ya'll peoples take pictures of yourself? Are your pics of just you, or with your friends? Are they close up or far away?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 8th 2009, 12:02 AM

I just take pictures with my friends and then crop them out
That way you aren't awkwardly standing there for a while, plus you'll look more natural
Cameras do have self-timers if you want to try that.... it should say how to use it in its manual!!

For cool angles, why not as a friend to shoot with you? She can help take some cool shots, it could be fun!

Hope this helped, feel free to message anytime!
-Amy

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gone! Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 8th 2009, 12:20 AM

But all my friends are guys. And let me tell you, they know nothing about taking clear pictures. AHHH!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 8th 2009, 12:51 AM

I understand, I was in the same dillema about my myspace for quite a while.

Firstly, you don't HAVE to have a picture of yourself.

That being said, what you can do is take SEVERAL pictures of yourself and then skim through them all until you find at least one that you would like for your default. I agree with the part about having your arm sticking out in the picture, but you can just angle it the right way or crop it out. Also, black-and-white pictures are your friend if you're not too confident. Which leads me to, PHOTO-EDITING! You can upload your pictures onto photobucket and use the site's editing program to get rid of acne or fix little things if you like (or you can have someone else edit it for you, I personally let a friend who's rather good at it edit all of mine).

Also, cell-phone cameras are you friend. If you randomely feel like taking a picture, do it with your cell, send it to your own email, save it to your computer, and upload it onto facebook or whatever. If you want a picture with your friends, just tell them to all scrunch together for a minute to take a picture (girls are allowed to say things like that, you know).

BUT WAIT!

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT make a peace sign, wear huge sunglasses, or suck in your cheeks and make your lips all pout-ey.

That is basically all you need to know. Good luck to you!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 8th 2009, 10:13 AM

Practice makes perfect.
If you want to take pictures of yourself, take pictures of yourself. Who cares what other people thing? It's so common now that I don't think that people really care if you took it yourself or whether someone else took it. I think it just takes practice finding an angle that you're happy with...taking it from slightly above your head looks better but you don't need to find a dramatic angle. If you do take it from a good angle, your arm shouldn't show. If it does then I guess you could always crop it out. People who take pictures of themselves do usually take quite a few (well, I mean a lot) until they find one that they like. If you do take a few then you'll most probably be able to find which angle you prefer and get a picture that you're happy with.
About the time thing, it doesn't take that long to press the camera button and so it shouldn't really hurt...cameras do have timers so if you want to rest your camera on something I guess you could do that.
The thing is that if you do take the pictures and you don't like them, you can just delete them so there's no harm in trying it out. Good luck and I hope you get a picture you like

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BeautyKills :O Offline
Bookworm 8-|
Average Joe

Re: How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 8th 2009, 07:32 PM

I understand what you mean... It also took me a while before I uploaded my pics on Facebook. Taking a good picture of yourself may look good when your in the mood for a picture and confidence. Believe me, I was in the same place as yours. The girls on my school thinks I'm a total loner but ever since I uploaded pics of me on Facebook and since I started learning how to edit pics on Photoshop, they started being my friends. I realised that all that so-called-friendship was because they wanted me to edit their pics, which I didn't. I don't like hypocrites. So anyway, prove them wrong. Have confidence in yourself and bring on a good mood while taking a picture *helps with me. When I'm in a good mood, I get a LOT of good pics.*

And the picture wouldn't look bad if your arm shows holding the camera. You could probably crop that out? And yes, some cameras do have self-timers.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, PM me anytime
Good luck love!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Maya Angelou
  Send a message via MSN to BeautyKills :O  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 8th 2009, 07:36 PM

I always make sure I have good hair before taking a picture of myself. Also don't forgot to have a natural smile (if you're smiling in the photo) otherwise it can make you look a bit tense. Practise poses in the mirror a few times until you find one you like.

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Photogenic

I found a site with some good tips for you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
CrackpotGenius Offline
Fish Eater
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tabee

Re: How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 9th 2009, 02:55 PM

I find it helps if I take photos of myself from all different angles, and find which one I look best in :] It might take a while to find it, but once you do, you tend to look pretty awesome :]

Champagne
sham-pag-un

Send a message via MSN to CrackpotGenius  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Gone! Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 9th 2009, 10:37 PM

@ Nora: Woah, thank you! I like how you're saying I should prove them wrong. I don't have a facebook, but I've decided to just get a group of friends together for my 1st pic, and see what goes on from there. I'm not too comfortable close-up- which is odd, because when I was 12 I was, but when I'm 15 I'm not. O.o

(#10 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 10th 2009, 04:13 AM

As for taking pictures from "cool angles"- you really, really just have to experiment to see what works for you! Take a bunch of pictures from all different angles- try lots of different poses and facial expressions, too. Some of them might not be too flattering, but eventually, you should find something that works for you.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: How do you take good pictures of yourself? - June 10th 2009, 05:52 AM

I have a picture of an error message on my grandma's computer as my myspace image (it says

Error

[Yes] [No]

needless to say, the computer is ancient)

Really though, just put something that show something about yourself, it don't even HAVE to be you in the picture. Also, if you know who you are, don't care if anyone else thinks your a "loner." Labels tend to bug me anyways.

Closed Thread