TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe
***
 
<:3 )~'s Avatar
 
Name: olivia
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Across the Universe

Posts: 195
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: May 26th 2009

Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 23rd 2009, 04:04 AM

Opinons on flirting to manage that 'edge'?
Here's the scenario I'm questioning about:
The student has an A- in the class. She flirts with a very young (23 year-old) history teacher in order to obtain 30 hours worth of extra credit to earn the A. (This is/was not me, it was a friend with a 4.2+ GPA)
By flirting I mean smiling...laughing/giggling...that's all.
My view on it is that it's a fact of life. Humans like flirting - it's an ego boost. Especially from the male perspective - who doesn't want a highschool girl on to you slightly? As long as it's done in moderation it's called human relations and social intelligence that can possibly give one the edge. I mean - this is a difference between an A- and an A so...for a GPA to a competitive school it could very well count.


Live and let live.
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 599
Blog Entries: 20
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 23rd 2009, 01:22 PM

Personally, I feel it cheapens all the work you've done previously, even if it is that innocent. In the end, if you have to resort to any kind of flirting, then you're not really being judged on how good your work is, it just turns into how good you look. which is unfair on yourself and on everyone else in your class.


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Gingerbread Latte's Avatar
 
Name: Cara
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,716
Blog Entries: 136
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 23rd 2009, 01:53 PM

I don't think she should have done it just for a grade. If she fancied him a bit and was just doing it for a bit of fun then it's different but it seems she only did it for a grade from what you said.


   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Skeleton's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: UK.

Posts: 4,545
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 23rd 2009, 01:59 PM

If she's doing it because she likes him, then fair enough. But to get a grade or something similar is just silly in my opinion because then it isn't that fact that you did well in that class and got that grade yourself, it's the fact that you showed some interest and he raised it for that reason.

Flirting with people won't always get you what you want and even if it's just something minor, you should work for it instead of taking an easier route.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 23rd 2009, 02:45 PM

i'd do it if it meant getting a higher grade. no harm done.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?
**********
 
WashoutThePain's Avatar
 
Name: Ask Away!
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere to be found

Posts: 4,749
Blog Entries: 377
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 23rd 2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
If she's doing it because she likes him, then fair enough. But to get a grade or something similar is just silly in my opinion because then it isn't that fact that you did well in that class and got that grade yourself, it's the fact that you showed some interest and he raised it for that reason.

Flirting with people won't always get you what you want and even if it's just something minor, you should work for it instead of taking an easier route.

Well, she had to do a lot of extra work to show her intelligence. He didn't just give it to her for her looks.


   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
freelancertex78's Avatar
 
Name: Steph
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Red, red, white, yellow, green.

Posts: 451
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 23rd 2009, 11:57 PM

Maintaining a good relationship with a teacher is an important thing, even if you aren't flirting. It does help your grade and the teacher is more willing to help you.


I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe
***
 
<:3 )~'s Avatar
 
Name: olivia
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Across the Universe

Posts: 195
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: May 26th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 24th 2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancertex78 View Post
Maintaining a good relationship with a teacher is an important thing, even if you aren't flirting. It does help your grade and the teacher is more willing to help you.
Exactly. Now, is that considered not doing the work for a grade? Teachers are people too - if you are nice to them, they are generally nice to you back. Flirting is an intrinsic part of society and if done properly (as in nothing more than smiling/giggling) and appropriately there should be little problem.


Live and let live.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
ZeroDarkness Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
ZeroDarkness's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 15
Join Date: July 14th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 24th 2009, 01:08 AM

I agree with Olivia and Steph. In my opinion, it would only be a problem if she started with a B and ended with an A. That would not be acceptable. Simple flirting like that, though, isn't really a problem. It's about the equivalent of the football team hanging out with the Coach after practice. The more the Coach likes the players, the more he is willing to do for that team and vice-versa.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Gaia's Avatar
 
Name: Lou
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: ekam eveileb

Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 25th 2009, 03:10 PM

I don't find it very hurtful, unless he's giving her the grade purely for her flirting, but she is putting in the work, so it's ok. A relationship with a teacher is important, but it shouldn't cross the barrier into something more.


"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 599
Blog Entries: 20
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 25th 2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyheartbeat View Post
I don't find it very hurtful, unless he's giving her the grade purely for her flirting, but she is putting in the work, so it's ok. A relationship with a teacher is important, but it shouldn't cross the barrier into something more.
That's what does happen in most cases though. I've seen it on both sides of the gender divide- a flirt here, or a good friendship between a male teacher and a guy over sports or something and suddenly their grade gets a lot better...and it's totally unfair to other people aswell as the person. I mean if I saw another student get a better grade then me when their work was of a lower standard, but because she flirted with him a bit or because another guy was a bit more jokey and chatty with them. I mean honestly, if they are not smart enough to get the job done by fair means, they shouldn't resort to such cheap tactics.


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe
***
 
<:3 )~'s Avatar
 
Name: olivia
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Across the Universe

Posts: 195
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: May 26th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 25th 2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
because another guy was a bit more jokey and chatty with them. I mean honestly, if they are not smart enough to get the job done by fair means, they shouldn't resort to such cheap tactics.
Of course it's not "fair" by all quantitative standards. However, I think what is important to consider is that life itself is not measured quantitatively. There are always variables that give one person or another an 'edge' and I really think this same debate is applied to things such as outside appearance. If you are more well-dressed for an interview then you present yourself better opposed to being dressed casually opposed to a candidate with the same qualifications. If you make yourself more appealing (socially), subtly, then it is no suprise that you recieve better results.


Live and let live.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 599
Blog Entries: 20
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 25th 2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <:3 )~ View Post
Of course it's not "fair" by all quantitative standards. However, I think what is important to consider is that life itself is not measured quantitatively. There are always variables that give one person or another an 'edge' and I really think this same debate is applied to things such as outside appearance. If you are more well-dressed for an interview then you present yourself better opposed to being dressed casually opposed to a candidate with the same qualifications. If you make yourself more appealing (socially), subtly, then it is no suprise that you recieve better results.
Yes, but by the same regard you could also sleep with your teacher, in the same way sleeping with your boss would probably earn you better results. But we don't go around advocating it now, do we? The idea of comparing it to better dressed people at an interview is different. Being better dressed at an interview usually shows some effort has been put in, which is diametrically opposed to flriting with someone which is a complete lack of effort.


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe
***
 
<:3 )~'s Avatar
 
Name: olivia
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Across the Universe

Posts: 195
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: May 26th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 25th 2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Yes, but by the same regard you could also sleep with your teacher, in the same way sleeping with your boss would probably earn you better results. But we don't go around advocating it now, do we? The idea of comparing it to better dressed people at an interview is different. Being better dressed at an interview usually shows some effort has been put in, which is diametrically opposed to flriting with someone which is a complete lack of effort.
I don't think that flirting in this sense could be exaggerated to sleeping with said teacher.
I also do not think that flirting should be overshadowed in such a negative light. Flirting is part of being socially aware and intelligent. It makes you more appealing and open in a sense. Flirting is joking, smiling, and being friendly and this can make a difference, certainly. I don't find myself to be compromised morally when flirting with a cashier at a register (providing that it's a guy). I, instead, find myself more friendly and approachable. This gets my groceries bagged faster and gives him an ego boost - no harm done there.

However, saying this, I am also friendly to female cashiers. I don't think it can be categorized with flirting perse (because it's not the sex I'm attracted to) but I still make smalltalk and joke. This is the same as flirting is and it is part of social awareness.


Live and let live.
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 599
Blog Entries: 20
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 25th 2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <:3 )~ View Post
I don't think that flirting in this sense could be exaggerated to sleeping with said teacher.
I also do not think that flirting should be overshadowed in such a negative light. Flirting is part of being socially aware and intelligent. It makes you more appealing and open in a sense. Flirting is joking, smiling, and being friendly and this can make a difference, certainly. I don't find myself to be compromised morally when flirting with a cashier at a register (providing that it's a guy). I, instead, find myself more friendly and approachable. This gets my groceries bagged faster and gives him an ego boost - no harm done there.

However, saying this, I am also friendly to female cashiers. I don't think it can be categorized with flirting perse (because it's not the sex I'm attracted to) but I still make smalltalk and joke. This is the same as flirting is and it is part of social awareness.
I never said flirting in it's self was a bad thing. Flirting to do better at school to make up for shortcomings in your work is.

Also, the examples you've put there seem to be blurring the line between flirting and actually just being friendly polite, because I feel that it's the latter-0 with the school thing you're deliberatly out to improve your grade. The other examples you're just being nice like anyone would be.


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe
***
 
<:3 )~'s Avatar
 
Name: olivia
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Across the Universe

Posts: 195
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: May 26th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 25th 2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I never said flirting in it's self was a bad thing. Flirting to do better at school to make up for shortcomings in your work is.

Also, the examples you've put there seem to be blurring the line between flirting and actually just being friendly polite, because I feel that it's the latter-0 with the school thing you're deliberatly out to improve your grade. The other examples you're just being nice like anyone would be.
I'm nicer to somebody if they are able to provide a service or do something for me. It's self-interest.
Flirting to earn 30 hours worth of graded, extra work isn't unfair. Being appealing to achieve more desirable results for oneself is also not in the wrong.


Live and let live.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 599
Blog Entries: 20
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 25th 2009, 04:06 PM

Well that's something different- being nice to someone is a lot different from flirting and you cannot simply band the too together otherwise simply saying "thankyou" now falls under the term of flirting. Which is just ridiculous.

It's not demoralising for you maybe, but in my eyes it just seems undeserved and shows that that person is not capable of doing well off their own brain.

But I'm gonna stop here. In the end we could disagree for hours and hours going nowhere, so I don't really feel like wasting my time in an endless circle.


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 25th 2009, 04:08 PM

Flirting in itself isn't wrong. But if you are a fan of sexual equality then prepare to be a hypocrit if you say that women work just as hard as men to get where they are. Basically by flirting to get a grade you could not otherwise achieve you're cheapening your result and devaluing the educational system, you're also supporting a stereotype that females have been trying to get rid of for quite a while. But hey, if you can live with it then go for it, I'm sure I would if I could. But that wont stop others being sour about it and respecting you less when you get a better result than them simply due to having boobs.
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe
***
 
<:3 )~'s Avatar
 
Name: olivia
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Across the Universe

Posts: 195
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: May 26th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 25th 2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Flirting in itself isn't wrong. But if you are a fan of sexual equality then prepare to be a hypocrit if you say that women work just as hard as men to get where they are. Basically by flirting to get a grade you could not otherwise achieve you're cheapening your result and devaluing the educational system, you're also supporting a stereotype that females have been trying to get rid of for quite a while. But hey, if you can live with it then go for it, I'm sure I would if I could. But that wont stop others being sour about it and respecting you less when you get a better result than them simply due to having boobs.
Haha, I'm willing to say that women have an advantage, objectively. Then again, I am not a strict feminist or anything. It's just a part of nature and a part of life in my opinion. Women are not equal/the same to/as men, we are simply different. We may achieve the same thing in terms of hard work and "brain power". However, I find it to be naive and unrealistic to say that women do not have the "femme fatale" advantage in a male-dominated workplace and world.

Anyhow, I digress. I agree with Jamie. It is kind of moot. xD


Live and let live.
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Emzy's Avatar
 
Name: Emma
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Nottingham

Posts: 814
Join Date: April 16th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - July 31st 2009, 07:33 PM

I've flirted with my PE teacher before but cos I generally liked her (lol) but that's it. It's sad if you feel the need to flirt with your teachers just to get good grades.
  Send a message via MSN to Emzy Send a message via Skype™ to Emzy 
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while
********
 
MermaidMassacre's Avatar
 
Name: Bridget
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Land of all them lakes...

Posts: 1,362
Join Date: July 10th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - August 1st 2009, 03:10 AM

First off, school is about showing how intelligent you are and how hard you work at getting good grades. School does not grade you on your looks. Which this is what it appeared to be. Secondly, students should not be flirting with teachers within school. Outside of school there is no problem. Generally teachers are not supposed to 'flirt' with the students. (Not saying the teacher flirted back, I don't know.) Either way I don't think it was right to do so in order to get a better grade. Even if it was just an few grade points up.


I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Kokoro Offline
AKB48<3
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Kokoro's Avatar
 
Name: Mi Sun
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Sheffield, UK

Posts: 434
Join Date: February 17th 2009

Re: Flirting with Teachers/Professors... - August 1st 2009, 08:28 PM

As long as she put the work in fine.
Plus flirting with teachers is always fun
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
flirting, teachers or professors

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.