TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

View Poll Results: How do you view the 'titles'?
They can call me whatever I want, I don't give a damn - I welcome it 4 30.77%
Indifferent, no opinion 3 23.08%
I really don't like those terms nor people seeing me that way 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Arrow The terms "troubled" or "disturbed" adolescent. - August 14th 2009, 04:17 PM

This is kinda a question that’s really out there, but what do you think of the terms “troubled” or “disturbed” adolescent? Personally, I’ve always loved those ‘titles.’ Might be the rebellious side of me though. Yeah, I’m screwed up, I’m disturbed, but to me it’s better being disturbed than average. My life’s been messed up, at the age of thirteen I had to be held back from killing someone (although to protect someone) and I’ve never been the same since; I’m the God Damn bloody Batman and the whole stretch that comes along with that. The dark loner, stays in his cave, doesn’t give a crap and wears a secret identity so that others can’t see who is really beneath. There’s a lot more that goes into that and how that event messed with my life, not to mention how my biological father plays into everything (I’m adopted). I mean, even the characters I relate to in TV and Film, the more messed up - the more I can relate; even in writing that’s my niche, "troubled" characters. So, I was just wondering, how many others relate to the term “troubled adolescent” and rather than shy away from it, view it as more of a “badge”?

Not saying I wouldn’t like to achieve stable ground one day, trust me – I definitely would, but I don’t let that term hold me down or back; defiance.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: The terms "troubled" or "disturbed" adolescent. - August 14th 2009, 05:41 PM

I tend to ignore it, as I really don't like it. Mostly because it's been used to describe me since I was a pre-teen. I really don't believe it's accurate, and I'd prefer people get to know me before telling me that I'm troubled or disturbed. Many people say that if you've experienced hard things in your life that you're automatically a problem. That's not always the case. Sure I've made some questionable decisions in my life, but I would still like to think I'm a fairly mature, respectable and sociable person. I have a steady job, a steady income, I'm not on any drugs, I take care of myself and I have a quite a few good friends.

People who label me as disturbed haven't really thought the label through.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CherriesBlossom Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Katie

Re: The terms "troubled" or "disturbed" adolescent. - August 14th 2009, 06:23 PM

i dont like them that much. i rather just be called a rebel.
trouble or disturbed makes me think that they in need of
mental help.
  Send a message via AIM to CherriesBlossom  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: The terms "troubled" or "disturbed" adolescent. - August 14th 2009, 06:42 PM

For the average person going through the normal teen behavior I don't like them, for those who are in need of help I'd prefer troubled, disturbed makes them sound psychotic when most of the time they really aren't.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fallen Angel Offline
Broken Pieces of Destiny
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Chelsea

Re: The terms "troubled" or "disturbed" adolescent. - August 14th 2009, 07:08 PM

I don't really care what people think of me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions I guess; and if thats how they view me before taking the chance to get to know me properly then thats their problem, not mine.

There'sAlwaysFreeCheeseInsideTheRatTrap . . . .

www.formspring.me/squishyspoons
  Send a message via MSN to Fallen Angel Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Angel 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: The terms "troubled" or "disturbed" adolescent. - August 14th 2009, 11:10 PM

I've learned to block people's opinions of me because I've always been seen as 'different', it's only since secondary school that it's became more obvious and people have seen me as 'troubled' because of being constantly depressed. Disturbed just makes me think as someone being possessed or being haunted by something supernatural. Anyway people are born the way they are I really don't see the point in labels.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: The terms "troubled" or "disturbed" adolescent. - August 15th 2009, 09:51 PM

It really annoys me. People are like, oh if you were alive 100 years ago you would just have have to live with it... or "its just a phase".

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#8 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: The terms "troubled" or "disturbed" adolescent. - August 16th 2009, 11:46 AM

It annoys me, to an extent, but I just take no notice. Let them say what they want.

Closed Thread