TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shopaholic Offline
Average Joe

Name: Megan

Starting a Journal - August 22nd 2009, 02:48 AM

So my therapist told me I need to start writing in a journal. I think I will actually try but is writing one online or schould I just get a paper one. I like the idea of always having the paper one with me but I'm worried about someone reading it. Any Ideas? Also how do I start getting in the habbit?
Thanks
Meg

(#2 (permalink)) Old
s_tor_m Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Tor

Re: Starting a Journal - August 22nd 2009, 03:24 AM

Hey there. I think it's a great idea to keep a journal. I've been writing in one for about 2 years now and I'm grateful I started when I did. The only downside is I'm constantly worried that someone will find it and read it, and the only way I prevent that is by hiding it somewhere in my room. (I don't carry it with me) So you could try that or get an online one, which is also better if you tend to write a lot, as your hand might get tired easily
To get in the habit, simply try to write at least something everyday. Even if it's just a thought or a paragraph or something. Maybe even set aside a time to let your thoughts out, but that's up to you.
Good luck
-Tor

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

There is a world of difference
between refusal and failure.

Send a message via MSN to s_tor_m  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Starting a Journal - August 22nd 2009, 03:31 AM

Hey There!

I'm with Tor when she says that writing in a journal is a great idea!
I have personally gone both ways. The first time I wrote in it, and I wrote about my suicidal thoughts, and my parents found it and read it, and that resulted it an awkward conversation, from that point on, I never used a write in journal again. However you can take a journal with you where ever you go. You can write outside in a park and get fresh air, and you can put stickers in it.

I now use blogspot.com for my journal. I like it because there are settings to make it so search engines can't find it. I have been writing in there for about 2 years as well. No one else can see them if I don't want them too. It's fast to type and get down what you feel, and you can print it out and it will be legible.

The point is that both have their pros and cons to them. You need to go with what ever you feel most comfortable with. I think the online one will give you a bit more privacy though. However, I'm sure you will make the right choice.

As for making a habit of it, an idea would to be to set an alarm clock to go off at a time in the day and that will remind you to write in your journal. You can also use sticky notes around your computer if you find that helps. You can also have a friend remind you or a family member. Soon after a while of doing it on a regular basis, you won't need reminders anymore and it will just be natural.

I hope this helped! I also hope that this message finds you well. Please take care of yourself.

Take care,

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Starting a Journal - August 22nd 2009, 03:48 AM

Hey there,

I think it's great that you are going to start a journal. Journals really can be helpful.

Now, personally, I have one of each. I have a journal online and a journal that is just paper. I also have a journal that I keep on my computer (that isn't online). The reason I do this is because sometimes I am really busy and I just don't have the time to sit down and write or I forget but if it's right in front of my face I tend to remember/make the time.

If you are worried about someone reading it you could have an online journal or you could find a really really good hiding place. With the hiding place someone might still find it.

Truthfully, I think both have their pro's and con's and in the end it really is your decision. Do you think there is a format you would be more comfortable with? Handwritter or typewritten etc?

Getting into the habit is hard which is why I have a lot of different journals placed all over my room and on my computer(which I mentioned) the best thing I can suggest is making it a nightly thing like before you go to bed you write in your journal. I know that's how I started. I would take my nightly shower and than write in my journal and go to bed. Over time it does tend to get easier.

Some of Emileigh's idea's were good too.

Best of luck.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Shopaholic Offline
Average Joe

Name: Megan

Re: Starting a Journal - August 23rd 2009, 04:13 PM

Hey, thank you guys. I decided to buy a journal and i have been writing nonstop thanks so much!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Re: Starting a Journal - August 23rd 2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic3593 View Post
Hey, thank you guys. I decided to buy a journal and i have been writing nonstop thanks so much!
That's great news. I definitely think journalling is a great idea. I'm glad to hear that you bought a journal and have been writing in it non-stop.

I'm going to go ahead and close this now as the OP seems satisfied with the replies given and the problem seems to be solved. OP: If I'm mistaken, please drop me a PM and I'll re-open this for you.

Closed Thread