TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Patrickdude Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - August 28th 2009, 12:07 AM

I live in MN I went 66 in a 30mph zone. I think I might have to go to court. What can be the worst penalties? I am so paranoid right now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - August 28th 2009, 12:32 AM

Does the ticket say you have to go to court, in many places someting like a speeding ticket does NOT require a cornt appearance.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Patrickdude Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - August 28th 2009, 12:37 AM

It doesn't except on the top where it says Complaint/Summons. I called the bureau, and the funny thing was he didn't write anything in the back, to tell me how much I owe.

He told me I was speeding in a residential area, and that was it.

I read that some do require court appearances. I rather just pay the fine, and get it over with and never speed again.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - August 28th 2009, 12:58 AM

Well, if you go to court you will likely be asked how you plea if you plead guilty then you will likelly get off ealier.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - August 28th 2009, 01:12 AM

You'll probably have to pay a nice sum of cash, get a stern talking to in court, and maybe community service. It all depends, it's different situation to situation.

The officer should of left you some kind of number or address to get a hold of for further information on whether you need to go to court or just pay up.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - August 28th 2009, 01:47 AM

I do believe that going more than 10mph over the speed limit is considered a class two misdemeanor; atleast, it is here in NC. You may want to get a lawyer to see if you can get it reduced; otherwise, you're probably going to have to pay a pretty penny as well as possibly getting several points on your lisence.

Take care, and drive safer next time!

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - August 28th 2009, 03:16 AM

Not to scare you or anything but here where I live that is the most expensive fine. Speeding, the only reason you would have to go to court is if your fighting the ticket, otherwise you just pay.
I think they charge you per mile that you went over, but don't quote me on that. Check your DMV website.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - August 28th 2009, 04:19 AM

As far as I know you only have to go to court if you think the ticket was unfair.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - August 28th 2009, 06:00 AM

At that speed, it'll probably be required for you to go to court. Usually, if it's not required, they'll mention it to you.
But... The best thing to do is to go to court, whether you have the option or not. You may be able to get it reduced down, or they might be able to offer Driver Improvement courses to get it taken off of your record.
You may have several fines to pay: Speeding in a residential, reckless driving (At least in VA, 20mph over is reckless. In NC, it's 15mph over), and then the normal costs for speeding. It all depends on what you were cited for exactly (there should be a law number cited on the ticket somewhere that describes exactly what you're charged with - you can google it).
If you go to court (with or without a lawyer), you can at least ask to have the charge reduced. Especially if it's your first offense, they're usually very leanient and try to work to make the pain as minimal as possible.
If you simply pay the fine, you plead guilty to the charge. You don't get a chance to possibly get it reduced and it automatically goes as points against your license and increases your insurance cost. I'd do anything possible to avoid that if I can.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Patrickdude Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 1st 2009, 01:48 AM

Well I got to pay off the ticket, without doing anything else.

Now to pay for my mistake I made.

I researched some insurance companies increase rates at least 25%. I don't know if that is really true, but if that was the case, then I would try to switch to a cheaper insurance.

I am with progressive I paid $592.00 for my 6 month premium.

I need some input here, if anyone can help.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 1st 2009, 02:58 AM

You'd need to call your insurance company. Many will let the first ticket slide while others may charge you depending on the offense.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Santeria Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jeremy

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 1st 2009, 03:08 AM

well, at least in PA and NJ, u can take it to court and the cop just wont bother to show up, in which case u dont have to pay it. If he didnt say he actually tracked u at that speed, u can say it was hearsay to argue the ticket. But my general impression was that the cop usually never shows up anyway, but maybe thats just over here on the east coast

PM me, I'm bored

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 1st 2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickdude View Post
Well I got to pay off the ticket, without doing anything else.

Now to pay for my mistake I made.

I researched some insurance companies increase rates at least 25%. I don't know if that is really true, but if that was the case, then I would try to switch to a cheaper insurance.

I am with progressive I paid $592.00 for my 6 month premium.

I need some input here, if anyone can help.
Some policies have it so that they will forgive you of your first offense or may just give a very small increase. Other policies won't have this and because of your age (your age group is among the most prone to accidents and such) and since you've now gotten a ticket, your insurance may go up. I'm not sure by how much it will go up but do bare in mind that some of the increase (if any) is in part due to your age, driving experience and the recent fine. Talk to your insurance broker/company and you'll get the details there.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
TJ. Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: TwinJ

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 3rd 2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santeria View Post
well, at least in PA and NJ, u can take it to court and the cop just wont bother to show up, in which case u dont have to pay it. If he didnt say he actually tracked u at that speed, u can say it was hearsay to argue the ticket. But my general impression was that the cop usually never shows up anyway, but maybe thats just over here on the east coast
Well, thank you arm chair expert. Cops get paid over-time if the court date lands on their day off. Also, they get paid for a whole day in court for just one case sometimes. So they get a lot of money off of it.

At the OP. Why exactly were you doing so much over the speed limit? Especially in a residential area?

And for the insurance on my 04 Mustang GT, it's 500/6 months. And I have a perfect record.. Though, I did get stopped for 88 in a 70 once :P I was let off with a have a nice day when the officer found out what job I held

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 3rd 2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus View Post
At the OP. Why exactly were you doing so much over the speed limit? Especially in a residential area?
My thoughts exactly. I was hoping you were made to go to court. Deserve everything for speeding so much, especially in a built up area.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 3rd 2009, 04:04 PM

you got off pretty lightly if you ask me, you're lucky you didn't kill someone driving at such a ridiculous speed for a residential area.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#17 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 3rd 2009, 06:58 PM

You my dear child should not even be allowed to drive until you complete enough community service, and traffic school to learn that there are KIDS in this world that play in their neighborhoods.

Which state do you live in? Cause honestly if they let you get away with this bull I don't ever want to step foot in there!

I hope your insurance rates do sky rocket.. maybe then it'll teach you some common sense and decency.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Patrickdude Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 4th 2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHEAVENn View Post
You my dear child should not even be allowed to drive until you complete enough community service, and traffic school to learn that there are KIDS in this world that play in their neighborhoods.

Which state do you live in? Cause honestly if they let you get away with this bull I don't ever want to step foot in there!

I hope your insurance rates do sky rocket.. maybe then it'll teach you some common sense and decency.
Don't really need the criticism. I already got that from the officer that pulled me over. I learned my lesson. I never wanted to be careless at all, it is that I was in a hurry not realizing that would happen. A lot of drivers do make mistakes.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
tortured soul Offline
It's never easy to get by
Average Joe

Name: Dylan

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 4th 2009, 11:18 PM

Worst case they will suspend your license and make you pay the ticket. I believe its $100 fine plus $10 for every mph over the limit. You could get away easy with jsut paying the ticket.

what is love but a four letter word that expresses a mix of emotions to one another
  Send a message via AIM to tortured soul  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Patrickdude Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help. I went 36 over the speed limit and got a ticket. - September 5th 2009, 02:03 AM

Well, what I got is done and over. maybe my insurance rates might go up, but that ticket will be on my record for 3 years.

Yeah, it was a big mistake I made, but I'm not going to let it destroy me.
Its not like I'm the only one in the world who would do that. If that was the case, would there be cops clocking people with radar guns where drivers won't see them?...

Closed Thread