TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

I want to know WHY we can't delete our accounts. - September 12th 2009, 05:57 PM

Honestly, I don't understand why not.
I think it goes without saying that some of us don't want things that have been posted on here to be up forever, even after we stop USING the website altogether. So why can't there just be a delete account button??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I want to know WHY we can't delete our accounts. - September 12th 2009, 06:23 PM

I know if you close your account your posts will all be hidden, as for why they aren't deleted I don't know either and have wondered about it myself.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: I want to know WHY we can't delete our accounts. - September 12th 2009, 06:40 PM

When you signed up for the site you did agree to rule in our Terms of Service. And it is clearly listed in there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Statements
The user understands that TeenHelp does not remove the user's account or content in the eventuality that the user regrets submitting it.
Basically you have to understand that what you put on the internet stays there whether it is on our site or Myspace, wherever. There is always a record somewhere of what you put down in text. Therefore it is your responsibility what you post around the site, and if you regret posting things, or your entire account, it is not our reasonability as staff to take time and remove it all for you. You can always use anonymous parts of our site if you wish for other people not to find certain information. But anytime you post something in the public eye you have to realize you may never be able to take it back. That is why when you sign up for the site we let you know ahead of time that this is our policy.

If you wish to abandon this account and create a new one for privacy reasons, thatís fine with us, as long as you follow all of the rules. But we are not going to delete your entire account for.

If you feel this rule is unfair or just wish to suggest a change to it, I highly suggest you contact the Operations and Procedures Committee, as they deal with site rule changes.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: I want to know WHY we can't delete our accounts. - September 12th 2009, 07:02 PM

I had to delete my other account, and I got banned. I really don't agree and I'd like the rules changed...

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: I want to know WHY we can't delete our accounts. - September 13th 2009, 12:42 PM

It's a good question. Lizzie really covered it the best. I always assumed it would be a big hassle. In my mind I see users accidently hitting it, or logging onto someone else's and deleting their friends account, or deleting it and wanting it back. If you look at the A&D forum, a lot of users leave but come back even after being inactive for a while (I did that, too ) Plus, once an account is deleted the moderators will have to go around to ALL of your posts and delete them.... which is a TON of work. HOURS of time that would be consumed. We would have to keep track of who cancels their account, as well. It's much easier just to leave the account inactive.

Hope this helps,
-Amy

(#6 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: I want to know WHY we can't delete our accounts. - September 15th 2009, 07:58 AM

It's pretty much impossible to delete all of the content you have submitted. Even if users were once again able to close their own accounts, it would take at least one Super Moderator or Administrator to go through every thread you have posted in and remove quotes from posts where other users have quoted your closed account.

Removing one user's content would also leave huge gaps in threads across the forums. If multiple users began deleting their accounts, posts would be deleted from threads and even the original posts of some threads would be deleted. This would mean that some of these threads would be useless or impossible to follow.

Not to mention, TeenHelp has no say over what is in Google cache or what content is archived on sites like the Way Back Machine. The Staff simply cannot be held accountable for all user submitted content. Instead we focus on removing things which may be harmful to users (like triggering content), deleting posts and threads which disrupt the community (spam), and banning users intending to disrupt the community (spammers and trolls, for the most part).

I know that the Terms of Service are a pain to read, but websites have them for a reason, and whether or not a person reads TeenHelp's Terms of Service, they do agree to them when registering. As Lizzie pointed out, our Terms of Service are very clear on this issue.

As Lizzie also mentioned, if you do not like a rule or have any suggestions for ways you think we could improve TeenHelp, you can pass them on to the Operations and Procedures Committee. A list of current members of this Committee can be found here. All users are also welcome to submit suggestions using the Bugs and Suggestions feature.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: I want to know WHY we can't delete our accounts. - September 28th 2009, 02:48 AM

Snap, I didn't know it was such a complicated process to delete an account, you know? I figured all you'd have to do is some code-work, and make the button, it would get rid of everything.

Closed Thread