TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Social retard
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Wendolyn

Red face Dare i say it...friends... - November 3rd 2009, 03:01 AM

Before you ask, yes i am a social retard. So, how do you go about making friends on this site....or any site for that matter?

Please feel very free to pity me... Iíll be none the wiser anyway...

~ http://livinglabyrinth.blogspot.com/ - Living with anthropophobia ~
Or on a much happier note, follow me into the land of the labyrinth :-)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Dare i say it...friends... - November 3rd 2009, 03:09 AM

Hey hey- you have a good question!

Social gathering arena #1: CHATROOM. I find that the majority of people become friends through the chatroom. I HIGHLY advise you check it out

#2: Threads and blogs: when you comment on other peoples threads or blogs, sometimes a back and forth conversation can occur which is great for friend making.

#3: Buddies!! The lime green team are designed to become friends with anyone and everyone. Talk to them!! Ask them about the site/interests. I usually tell the person about cool users they might like as well if they are into X,Y and Z. Along with this, be sure to post yourself an introduction thread in the Arrivals and Departures Forum so you can meet some peeps

#4: Visitor Messaging! Check out people's profiles and see what their interests are. If you have similar ones, go ahead and say so with a little message like

"Hey! I know this is random, but I love The Office, too!! Jim and Pam are so cute Who's your favorite character?"

If none of those ways work, let me know

I'd be happy to be your friend, btw
-Amy

(#3 (permalink)) Old
s_tor_m Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Tor

Re: Dare i say it...friends... - November 3rd 2009, 03:14 AM

Hey there...I'll be your friend Haha...there's really many ways to make friends on this site..one great way is to visit the chat room. There you can just talk to other users and hopefully find someone you get along with. Also you can just browse the user profiles and find someone with similar interests, music taste, etc and there's a conversation starter. And of course there's nothing wrong with simply introducing yourself to someone...I've met many friends that way.

Hope this helps!

-Tor

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

There is a world of difference
between refusal and failure.

Send a message via MSN to s_tor_m  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Social retard
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Wendolyn

Re: Dare i say it...friends... - November 3rd 2009, 03:21 AM

I dont think i have the confidence or..outgoing needed to randomly pm or chat with people, lol. Thanks though.

~ http://livinglabyrinth.blogspot.com/ - Living with anthropophobia ~
Or on a much happier note, follow me into the land of the labyrinth :-)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Dare i say it...friends... - November 3rd 2009, 10:05 AM

Start with people with colourful names, they never want to shut up
The chat room is a fantastic place for meeting people, but it can be a bit overwhelming at first. Just make sure to make yourself heard, they can be a rowdy lot sometimes xD

Also, just leave someone a visitor message you think you could get on with. Most of us here are incredibly happy to make new friends. so give it a go!
If you don't have the confidence just now, fake it till you find it.. You don't need to be super confident and suave to make friends, just be yourself, with a lil more confidence so you can actually talk to people [:

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Unicorn. Offline
Cookie monster
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Dare i say it...friends... - November 3rd 2009, 11:00 AM

Hey there
Don't worry! We do like to keep the new user eating to a minimum here,and honestly, there are some great people to talk to! If you're a little nervous, as Louu mentioned, us staff types never shut up

Come visit the chat room tooo.It isn't as scary as it sounds, honest! If I do ever catch you in there, I'll come say hi.

Random Vm's are fun! The worst thing that can happen is no-one replies, but usually [well, I know I do] people get really excited aout talknig to new people

~Jess x
17|10|09

Whenever your world starts crashing down
That's where you'll find me

(#7 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Dare i say it...friends... - November 3rd 2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenSheep1066 View Post
I dont think i have the confidence or..outgoing needed to randomly pm or chat with people, lol. Thanks though.
The beauty of the internet is that you can appear confident, and yet not be haha... I think of it this way, someone says hi to me, I'll say Hi back and give conversation a go... If it doesn't work we'll I've lost nothing as long as your not rude or drive people away you have nothing to loose... and if people don't want to know... Try the next one

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dare i say it...friends... - November 3rd 2009, 07:13 PM

just randomly send someone a VM saying hey.. i've done that a few times and never had anyone be like, "urrr... wtf?".. [yet] lol!.

in general everyone on here is really friendly and if you start a conversation with someone you're very unlikely to get anything less than a nice response.. and i agree with Amy, chatroom is definitely worth checking out, also.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Dare i say it...friends... - November 5th 2009, 06:54 PM

The chatroom is a really great starting point. I was scared too when I went into chat for the first time, all these crazy, random people but I just joined in with the conversation and now I'm one of them. Most people are friendly, so dont be shy, just go for it!

Me and all the other Buddies are quite happy to chat to anyone and everyone. Its part of our job description to be welcoming, so you can chat to us. I dont bite, I promise!
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Dare i say it...friends... - November 5th 2009, 09:13 PM

Lou,
There really isn't anything to be afraid of. Seriously, most people that I have started talking to on here will not shut up once you're talking to them. It's not a bad thing, but it's very true.
And what Mia said is true, it's rather scary the first time you go into chat, but it doesen't take long before they start remembering your name and you get really into the odd conversations that go on in there. If you have to just go in and don't talk, get a feel for what the people are like. (I mean, say hi if someone says hi to you though!) Heck, even explain that you're shy and unsure about talking yet, they'll understand.
And if you ever want to talk, randomly or seriously, send me a PM or VM. =]
Em

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
Closed Thread