TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
reflecting Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Smile Personal identity...who are you? - December 3rd 2009, 05:28 PM

I have encountered this subject of personal identity and its growth/development during adolescent a lot this year, mostly through school and different projects I have chosen to work with. However, I have just conducted some superficial research about psychological, philosophical and biological perspectives and I feel there is much left to be desired. Like our perspective; you and me (and I speak to you en masse) the personal aspect of the subject.

Who are you? What made you? What are the important things, what is necessary, what helps and what hinders? What questions arise when you stop and think, and feel? Confusion? Backtracking here, but what is a personal identity? Who am I beyond a name, mental classifications, biological terms and sense of humor? And what about society, family, friends; what role do they play in our personal growth, particularly in adolescence? How do grown-ups treat this matter, if theyve managed to get through the notoriously confusing time of adolescent?

A lot of questions, but I have devoted a lot of thought to them. However, I find myself quite unable to answer many of them easily and it unsettles me to not even know the proper answer of who I am. But Im not here to solely express my personal musings on this; Im here for help. Im interested in what you think. Personal identity what of it?

On a final note, Id like to give a fair warning that Im going to soak this up and probably use the thoughts and opinions provoked by this in the current project I'm working on with the same theme (inspired by Ghost World. Awesome movie, if anyones interested). However, if you wish to share information/thoughts/musings/opinions/etc but have no desire for it to leave the forum, write so, and it wont. Im not going to refer to anyone personally, or give names or anything like that. So treat this as a normal thread; I am genuinely interested and curious about this subject.

(I apologize for any typos or the like; English is not my first language.)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Personal identity...who are you? - December 3rd 2009, 11:16 PM

Firstly I'd like to say your English is better than most people who have it as their first language

I used to think about this a lot too. What made me me? What situations and experiences in my past were the keys to me developing into the person I am? What if things had been different? What if one situation had turned out better than it had? Would I be a different person?
I kind of stopped thinking about it though, it's impossible to know the answers to yours or my questions.
Something as simple as a name. What if my name wasn't Richard? I wouldn't have been made fun of in school, and I'd like to think that that is what made me more of a caring person. Maybe I'd be rude? I would have had different friends, maybe I wouldn't have gotten into drugs at an early age, maybe I'd have been a straight A student instead?
Yah from an outside perspective it looks like things would have been better, but I like who I am. I wouldn't change any of that, because those situations are what made me, well, me.

Really, what are we other than a name and classifications? What made us us? You can raise two identical twins in exactly the same way and expose them to the same situations, but they won't turn out exactly the same.
In a similar fashion you can raise identical twins in totally different ways and expose them to different situations, and they don't always turn out completely different.
How much of who I am is based on my genetics and how much is based on what I've been through?

I'm probably on some sort of tangent barely related to your post by now so I'm just going to stop here.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
reflecting Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Personal identity...who are you? - December 4th 2009, 12:55 PM

Thank you for the compliment on my English, it means a lot Anyway, you take up valid points and they're not at all off topic. I've noticed when people start thinking of personal identity and try to analyse it as I am doing, thoughts like those you've described often arise. "What if's" and the biological facts you remember from class or random searches online... It's a confusing subject, probably because there is no real definition of it. I've realized it's the definition I'm trying to find, which has made it easier to sort out the many different questions and musings and opinions this provokes. But still, I'm not that much further along in my little personal research.

Also, it means a lot to be satisfied with who you are and willing to not change anything because of it, despite whatever bad things might've happened. Not many people have that, I think. I haven't really arrived there yet, since I don't really know who I am yet, so I can't say if I'm any good or not. Yeah, that's going a bit off topic haha soo, anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts! It is indeed a complex subject, which is why I'm reaching out for a little help. So yes, thank you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
senken.0 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Personal identity...who are you? - December 4th 2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflecting View Post

Also, it means a lot to be satisfied with who you are and willing to not change anything because of it,
yOur IN-gleSh Be veRY GoOd, I meen, I CaN'T EveN speAk RiGHt. Not really but your English is good, 'specially for it not being a first language.

And that all depends. If your satisfied that would mean your not trying to get your personality any better, and will be stubborn to change something wrong with it (swearing to often, being obstinately rude). I think you should always be aiming higher in everything.
  Send a message via MSN to senken.0  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
reflecting Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Personal identity...who are you? - December 6th 2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senken.0 View Post
yOur IN-gleSh Be veRY GoOd, I meen, I CaN'T EveN speAk RiGHt. Not really but your English is good, 'specially for it not being a first language.

And that all depends. If your satisfied that would mean your not trying to get your personality any better, and will be stubborn to change something wrong with it (swearing to often, being obstinately rude). I think you should always be aiming higher in everything.
Thank you I'm just setting my standards high when it comes to English.

Anyway, yes, I see your point. But to be satisfied doesn't always mean you're not willing to accomplish more. I'm more thinking along the lines of being satisfied with who you are, and willing to use what you have to move forward.

I don't think liking yourself as you are means you're unwilling to change. You're always changing. New experiences, new insights, new friends; it's something new each day. You're not stuck. You're developing. And I admire those who like themselves, as each day pass and as they change. They are satisfied with who they are, and willing to continue being so as they change. If something happens, and they realize "Hey, why do I swear so often? That's not good" then they can work with that without the negative thoughts of "Fuck it, I suck. I swear like shit and it makes me a fucking bad person" (...sorry for the bad language... >_>).

Well, something like that. Being confident and liking yourself doesn't equal narrow-mindedness/being stubborn, but sometimes it does (arrogant people, for example).

And always aiming high is good, for some. Having goals and dreams and such are needed, I think. I just don't like the "I have to be better", since to me, it's tainted a bit too much with "I'm a lesser being". I know, it doesn't have to be like that. Like with most things. A double meaning, or whatever.

Sorry, I'm confusing even myself. I'll stop there haha

But thanks for contributing to the discussion! Love it!

Closed Thread