TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Arrow Being a high school athlete - December 26th 2009, 08:15 PM

I have a film that I'm working on that can best be described as 'Pump Up the Volume' or 'Breakfast Club' for today's generation. One of the characters is a high school athlete.

There are a couple of questions I have, but feel free to go beyond that.

1. Where do the pressures come from? Peers? Parents? Coaches? How would you describe these relationships?

2. How would you describe the usage of steroids or pain relieving drugs? Have you ever used them? Has anyone ever tried to pressure you into using them? If you said no, how did they react?

3. Do you have a father that places stress upon always winning? How has this effected your view towards sports?

4. Any interesting stories or experiences you have had.

Any information you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Being a high school athlete - December 27th 2009, 08:10 PM

I have a friend that's an athlete so I'm going to try to answer from his point of view. Hopefully it will be of some help for you!

1. Pressures come from peers and coaches. For my friend his parents aren't really into how well he does as an athlete. The relationships are strained and he always seems to feel like he has to do everything right, and make everyone happy. He once told me his performance as an athlete is more important than his personality.

2. He was once nearly pressured into taking steroids but in the end said no. This person and him are no longer friends. The person was a peer.

3. No, his father doesn't seem to care about athletics, he's more worried about academics.

Hopefully that helps a bit.
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Being a high school athlete - December 27th 2009, 09:08 PM

I play baseball, varsity level. I quit football due to a repetitive concusisions.

1. There was no pressure in baseball, in football there is a fair bit of pack mentality and the coaches expect a lot out of you.

2. I did painkillers (percocet, morphine) for awhile but that was completely independent of sports. Steroids were non - existant, everyone knows they are bad for you. A football teammate did creatine for a little bit but the coach told him not to and called his parents.

3. My parents only wanted me to be happy, social, and stay out of trouble, except they did it in a very suffocating manner. And of course, grades.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

Last edited by Double X; December 28th 2009 at 02:43 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ZeroDarkness Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Being a high school athlete - December 28th 2009, 01:24 AM

I play a variety of different Varsity level sports. Football, Basketball, Track & Field, Power lifting.

1. The pressure comes from everywhere. School alumni, staff, neighbors, relatives, peers/teammates, coaches, and even that old clerk that works in the convenience store down the street.
The School alumni constantly remind you of their achievements, and dare you to challenge them. Your crazy if you accept the challenge, but even crazier if you don't. The staff can also be overbearing. Some increase the load of homework just because your an athlete, while others cut you too much slack and hinder your learning.
As soon your seen pulling into your driveway, your neighbors just HAVE to come and ask about practice. "Did ya pop someone good today?" "Are y'all ready for the game this Friday?" Any other time, these questions would be fine, but you start to think a bout failure. If you lose the game, that's just another person you will let down. Relatives are a whole different story. The ones that support you, don't think you'll get very far anyway. The ones that are hard on you are always pushing you to meet their expectations. To most of your peers and teammates, your worth is measured by how hard you can go. If your one of the smaller guys that tries your best, you might get a little bit of respect. Maybe. If you can plow through 10 guys like nothing, then your on their good side, for a while at least. If you don't get injured, your not going hard enough. If your always injured, then your a pussy that fakes it just so you don't have to practice. The only way to keep respect is to put their face in the dirt and make them look up at you. On game night, everyone finally comes together. But God help you if your caught hiding behind your teammates because your scared to go in. About half way through the season, you and your teammates become a family. They become the one thing you look forward to everyday. Anytime life puts you down, they're there helping you up, like you would help them up. But sometimes the hostility remains.
Depending on what kind of a person your coach is, he will either be concerned about just the sport or his players well being.

2.Steroids are obviously looked down upon, but sometimes people let "supplements" slip. Muscle enhancers all the way to injections of crap that will be outlawed in a couple of years. I'm part of the 50% that still lifts after practice. I don't need protein shakes to build my muscles, a can of tuna when I get home is more than enough. Excuse me for being old-fashioned by sticking with salt pills for cramps.
I am guilty of painkillers, though. Yup, 800mg of life-saving, doctor prescribed Ibuprofen. Popping up to 6 six of those babies at a time. It was my answer to everything. I would not recommend it. Sure ibuprofen and a few other things mixed in will get you feeling good, but it's dangerous. Painkillers were never meant to be used that way. They shouldn't be the only things getting you through day to day. Over the years, I've also acquired other painkillers, stronger ones. From Oxy for body pain, to morphine when everything else started wearing off. At one point I thought about selling some, but I decided against it when I thought about how bad I needed them. Despite all this, ibuprofen was still my go to problem solver. It got to the point I was taking them to school, ready to choke one down whenever I felt that pain coming back. I have a lot more than this on painkillers and other drugs in athletics, but I'll save that for another day.
p.s. When the bottle says take with food, eat something. Other wise you will be rolling on the floor screaming in agony. It might not happen doses your body can take well. The only way to avoid this is by becoming so used to the medicine, that it doesn't effect you anymore.

3.Fathers can either be supportive of sportsmanship and having fun, or they will try to relive their glory days through their child.
To put it simply, you will either have smiling faces waiting for you when you get home, or someone that won't welcome you unless you have a trophy in your hands.

4.Interesting story? I don't know what you find interesting, but I have stories if you want me to share them. Like that one time I swallowed a bottle of honey, downed to 3 energy drinks, and wrapped my legs till blood vessels started bursting just to get a lift during a Power lifting meet. Or maybe when I was put through hell to see if I was varsity level my freshman year.

While a lot of athletic programs aren't this screwed, some of the most successful programs share similarities with the things I've said.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Being a high school athlete - December 28th 2009, 11:01 PM

I'm no athlete, but I am very very competitive, and was offered to try out for a few things for my school, but never did... For me I took it all very seriously when i did race though, I can't answer all you questions, but for me the pressure, the drive to win, and that little bit more came from inside me, as a runner... No one else. I hated it when people got involved, although when I won it was nice to get congratulations from people . I did always prefer it to be just me, and when I lost I'd kick myself for weeks, infact some races I still do.

I remember one particular race I knew all the people running in it, but one particular boy is an athlete and a brilliant one at that! Very very fast, I didn't care if I lost the race as long as I beat him :L, gave it everything and literally 3 metres from the finish line blacked out, lost conciousness... I came second to that guy, and still kick myself about it even though it was 4 years ago, I still get an adrenaline rush thinking about it too . To finish the story, I hit the floor, waking me up, and I looked up to see people albeit a little fuzzy calling me on, and I stumbled across lool ... Good times

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Being a high school athlete - December 29th 2009, 02:29 AM

I am on a varsity crew team (fall/spring) and a varsity swimming team during the winter.

1. Where do the pressures come from? Peers? Parents? Coaches? How would you describe these relationships?
Primarily from myself to be a great athlete, but also from my peers. I'd hate to ruin a race for my teammates. But, with my teammates, it's a very positive relationship. I love them and they all love me.

2. How would you describe the usage of steroids or pain relieving drugs? Have you ever used them? Has anyone ever tried to pressure you into using them? If you said no, how did they react?
I've never used them, never been asked to use them, would never use them.

3. Do you have a father that places stress upon always winning? How has this effected your view towards sports?
Nope, my dad could care less if I win or lose. It's given me a better outlook on sporting events. It's always focused on fun rather than winning. But from myself, winning is just more fun than loosing

4. Any interesting stories or experiences you have had.
Er, interesting stories... Not so much interesting. But I did cox a boat where all they did was make sexual jokes to me, that was interesting

Closed Thread