TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Ignorant or normal? - July 6th 2010, 07:41 AM

Today I was having breakfast at a taco stand and I overheard some people talking in English I thought it was weird considering I live in México. Me being me approached them and asked them where they were from, then proceeded to ask what they were doing in México on a Monday morning. They told me they had a long weekend because of “Independence Day” I told them I wasn’t aware that they had a long weekend break and turned around to continue eating, as I was eating I overheard one say this exactly I’ll quote it.
“Fucking Mexicans don’t know what day it is”
I was in shock so I turned around and told her in Spanish what she had said, she told me she didn’t
“SPEAK OR WANTED TO LEARN SPANISH”
I than asked her in English if she knew when México celebrated their independence and again I’ll quote her again.
”I don’t care”
I than realized there was no point in fighting with ignorant people with no common sense and proceeded to finish my food. But it really caught me thinking all day if this was serious, I know not all American people are like this because I have several American friends but wow this person literally caught me off guard and questioning why she would call me a “fucking Mexican” if she was the one that didn’t want to know anything about other countries. I guess I’m still shocked. Why are people so ignorant?

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tess* Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tess

Re: Ignorant or normal? - July 6th 2010, 07:52 AM

Wooww that is really bad.
I too wish I knew why some people are so ignorant.
She pretty much insulted you. Personally, I get more angry when people insult me or people close to me.
Sometimes it's hard to keep from yelling at them =/ but you're right, there's no point. They won't understand anyways.

How's your life? It's been a while
God, it's good to see you smile
<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Ignorant or normal? - July 6th 2010, 09:15 AM

Everyone is ignorant but vary in their degrees of ignorance and vary in what those varying degrees are towards. You cant escape ignorance as it's in yourself, others and society. You may not be intentionally realizing your ignorance but it's there.

I suppose one common reason is their upbringing, socialization and their "in-group". For the girl who insulted you, her upbringing and the group she is part of has dislike for whatever reason(s) towards Mexicans (not particularly uncommon from what I've usually seen). When people have such strong ignorant negative attitudes to Mexicans, they probably aren't going to realize Mexico's participation in Indepedence Day, or if they did, they rationalized through their dislike that Mexicans weren't involved.

Often, people stick with what they were raised with unless they don't approve of it and break away. Staying with their group is what people want because humans are social animals, they want to be with the "in-group" and don't want to be part of the "others" or "out-group". When people have such strong opinions of the "others" or come into contact with the "others" (i.e. Mexicans), their in-group bond is strengthened and their collective and individual ignorance increases. To them, the ignorance isn't a problem as they've rationalized it to be correct and superior.

I could go on but one can relate this to criminological and sociological theories, such as Marxist-based theories.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Ignorant or normal? - July 6th 2010, 05:24 PM

Wow. I'm sorry that happened to you. Being an American myself, that is quite embarrassing. I'm glad you realize we're not all like this...

I can't believe she actually expected you to acknowledge the Fourth of July when she herself refused to recognize Mexican Independence Day. How ridiculous. America isn't the only country in the world...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Ignorant or normal? - July 6th 2010, 05:40 PM

I do realize there is ignorance everywhere I was just caught off guard with this one I never really expected her to react in that way, even less in a place full of Mexicans.
I did acknowledge 4th of July but I didn't know you had a long weekend, the only good thing going for her is that no one else heard her because she would have gotten what she was bargain for.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Ignorant or normal? - July 6th 2010, 07:40 PM

best just to ignore or laugh at people like that. you were very calm and polite given what a bitch she was. i'd have given her a piece of my mind most likely.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Ignorant or normal? - July 6th 2010, 08:07 PM

Ignorant assholes like that always get what's coming to them so she'll get hers. She's just a racist, so who cares what she thinks or what she has to say. She isn't worth a thought.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lu82 Offline
HI EVERYONE!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Ignorant or normal? - July 7th 2010, 01:37 AM

Did you punch her in the face?
Did you ask her what in the hell she is doing in Mexico if she cant stand its people? Gosh! i hate people like that theyre just plain stupid. Im sorry to hear this happen to youI once met a f***** racist B**** (sorry for my language) like that.

Guenhwyvar roared a fourth time and darted off through the grove, a black arrow aimed at the heart of doom.

Last edited by Lu82; July 7th 2010 at 02:12 AM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Eyes on Fire-Xx Offline
The doctor's next companion
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sumi

Re: Ignorant or normal? - July 7th 2010, 03:03 AM

Wait, they went to mexico, on indepedence day, got mad at mexicans for speaking spanish, IN MEXICO, and....oh my god. some people are so, not ignorant, thick headed and have no common sense... realy? mad at you for not knowing the 4th of july and they dont care they dont know the mexican independence day? gah. people.

The strongest oaks
grow in opposing winds
and Diamonds are
made under
Pressure

PM me anytime for anything at all! <3<3<3
  Send a message via AIM to Eyes on Fire-Xx Send a message via MSN to Eyes on Fire-Xx  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Ignorant or normal? - July 7th 2010, 05:12 AM

No my parents thought me better than to be so rude to people, if all I probably looked more "american" than her. I would of called her off with basic common sense but I was with my co-worker and we were running late.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Ignorant or normal? - July 7th 2010, 08:26 AM

I would hope that's the exception, though I could definitely see where it'd be more common nowadays (the rudeness/bitterness, at any rate) because of all the controversy over immigration and illegal aliens and such that's going on right now. It's causing a lot of tension, at least as far as I can see.

Though it was totally hypocritical, no matter what their views or stereotypes of Mexicans are, to criticize you for not knowing it was a long weekend and not even know when your independence day is.

Again, I really hope that was the exception and not the norm, but who knows anymore.

~Cody

Normal User

Closed Thread