TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Recovery Stories Recovery can be a long and difficult path, and we may forget to rejoice in our accomplishments. Share your recovery stories here, from self harm, to drug, or alcohol addictions, and anything else you are proud of.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Smile Recovery time :D - June 16th 2013, 08:26 PM

A few years ago i was an active member of this site, and in a really bad place, i got to a point where i was self harming everyday, really badly. At the point maybe some of you are at now. I tried multiple times to give up self harm, relapsing every time and feeling increasingly worse about myself, attempted suicide etc. I saw recovery stories such as this one, and truelt believed i would never be able to stop self harming. Then i went to university, where i managed to stop self harming altogether, but turnt to complete reckless behavior, unprotected sex, which lead to 2 pregnancy's, one abortion and one miscarriage, which messed me up more, drugs, drink anything that would numb the pain. Last year after years and years of denying that i was depressed to myself, i went to the doctors, and FINALLY got medication, he also referred me to the counselling service, i had 6 months of therapy, which enabled me to open up about the way i feel, and tell people that i was depressed, and that i used to self harm, and the only fear i had was that people would think differently of me, but you know what they didn't they were so understanding, telling friends of mine, it turned out that a few of them had been raped to and self harmed or were on anti depressants, the ironic part was we all thought we were struggling alone, when in reality some of the people closest to me were going through the same thing. After multiple medication changes, i was then reffered to cognitive behavioural therapy and to see a psychiatrist, who i had a few sessions with before she diagnosed me with bipolar disorder, and was given the right medication, along with the therapy, i'm in the best place i've ever been, i still have days when i feel awful and cant get out of bed, and times where i'll look at something sharp and get an urge to cut, the self harming tendencys are a hard pattern to break and after 3 years of not cutting, the urges do still come when things get hard. But now i'm living with friends, in a full time job, after just finishing my psychology degree, before i do a years counselling course, so i can help people the way my counsellor helpt me.

He told me something, that is very true, self harm was my coping mechanism and although it wasn't the most productive way of going about things, i used the resources i had at the time, and in now way 5 years ago, i would of seen myself alive, cut free and happy, the people on this site helped me through some of the toughest times of my life, and this is why im posting this message to show them, and even for people struggling that it is possible to get better, i was the one reading these years ago thinking it would never be me, but it is
I'm covered in scars, but i'm proud of them, it shows that i've been through a hard time, and i've come out the other side laughing, and you can too!

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Recovery time :D - June 16th 2013, 08:40 PM

Reading stories like this brightens my day so much! You are an inspiration, Lauren. I honestly hope you know that. It's amazing to see how far you've come and to think about how far you're going to continue to go. 3 years self-harm free is incredible by anyone's standards and I'm so inspired by the fact that you have been able to stay strong. I know you're going to be a great counselor, especially because of how much experience you have with struggles. It's things like that that will make people want to open up to you and learn from your story. Take care and keep going on the path you're on!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Recovery time :D - June 17th 2013, 02:23 AM

You're really inspiring and I'm so proud that you were able to get this far! You're awesome!

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
Closed Thread