TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Recovery Stories Recovery can be a long and difficult path, and we may forget to rejoice in our accomplishments. Share your recovery stories here, from self harm, to drug, or alcohol addictions, and anything else you are proud of.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

using the better days as an opportunity - November 3rd 2016, 07:08 PM

The last couple of days I've been hyper and talkative and highly anxious. But I haven't been as depressed as I usually am. Which for me is a plus and I do have energy to improve things. This got me thinking and there's a few things I do on good days as a way to improve my life as well as prepare for the bad days and deepen coping resources/mechanisms

So something I've done in the past is making a box. It goes by different names. Self-soothing or comfort box etc. I use it for when I have urges to SH or as prevention when I sense I am going downhill or into a breakdown.

Right now, it's not complete so I'm looking for ideas. This is what I have so far:

one of my favorite pens (:P)
a notepad
stickers
a rock (I found two rocks. I kept the rock that represents "friendship" because I want to keep it with me and threw the rock that represents "self-hate" into the water as I want to leave that one behind)
a card (it was from the camp that I went to. Everyone wrote really positive messages to me)
a stone that says "courage" that a friend gave to me
a few books
play dough
a bunch of embroidery floss of different colors
things I want to put in there are:
a few lists. Such as lists of:
my favorite movies (the ones I've watched and loved)
movie wishlist (movies I havent watched yet but want to)
favorite TV shows
TV show wishlist
favorite books
books wishlist
songs to listen to
videos I've enjoyed
websites and links
quotes, poems, song lyrics
A SH alternative list (things that have personally worked for me)
arts and craft projects list
other project list (haven't figured this one out yet but I just want to get organized and make one master "to do list" of my big/small dreams)
Reasons to live-like a personal one I guess.
a safety plan
A list of organizations and resources that I've personally found helpful over the years that I can reach out to. Including social events- it doesn't all have to be crisis related.
A list of friends, family etc to reach out to (iffy on the family but I'll add it in there)
And I also want to add more sensory things because that can help ease with anxiety
So things to smell, taste, touch. I would probably need a lot of touch so like fidget toys that I have but cant really find
Pictures-not sure of who or what yet

So I'm not sure what else. But I think that's how it's going to be so far.

Anyone has ideas? tips? something to add or take out?
And if anyone knows good TV shows or movies :P but I will probably look through the threads on that to get an idea.
It's not set in stone so I can always tweak it as needed but I feel like I am missing something that I had in mind and I'm not sure what

Closed Thread