TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Recovery Stories Recovery can be a long and difficult path, and we may forget to rejoice in our accomplishments. Share your recovery stories here, from self harm, to drug, or alcohol addictions, and anything else you are proud of.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

it has been 3 years - March 6th 2017, 01:41 PM

It has been 3 years today since I was admitted to the hospital. I got out a week later even though I wasn't well, it was kind of a premature discharge. This was because the hospital was corrupt and I had to contact a human rights advocacy group to help me. I was so focused on that, it sprung me back to life in a way. I had no choice but to stand up for myself in that instance.

I am thankful for the patients I met there. I still think about them.

I think about a select few staff who had been kind to me and supportive. Like the expressive art therapist and the recreational therapist. Though honestly there were a handful of them, including the psychiatrist there who had done more harm. I still feel the emotional pain till now.

And it is just one more thing im in therapy for, to deal with all the harmful memtal health professiibals in my life.

But what did I learn from all this? I learned to keep going. And I learned how to navigate a broken healthcare system. My passion for mental health got a lot deeper because of my experiences seeking therapy as an adult.

I alsi remember my father crying. I never saw him cry. He said he had made breakfast for me and started crying because he remembered i was in the hospital.
Before I went to the hospital we were experimenting with making healthy DIY deodorant

That alone makes me want to forgive him for things he done to me. And to mend our rocky relationship.
As much as I feel so angry with how he treated me, his inconsistent parenting, his military style of discipline, physical punishment, emotionally absent etc
Forcing parenthood onto me and so on.

He is still my dad and I am learning to accept the complicated feelings for what it is. I'm in therapy now, which he still doesn't know. But, maybe one day I will tell him.

Last edited by ~Radio Flyer~; March 6th 2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: did not complete the sentence "one day i will" so i added "tell him"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
danh19 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: daniel

Re: it has been 3 years - March 6th 2017, 02:04 PM

I can sort of understand in that my doctor wouldn't help you I had to find the strength in me to fight for my mental health

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: it has been 3 years - March 6th 2017, 04:39 PM

It's good that you are reflective and can see how far you have come. I'm sorry to hear about the unprofessional professionals though! I'm glad that you met some lovely patients and therapists, since it sounds like they had a lasting impact on you.

I really hope that one day you can have a better relationship with your father. I understand that it can be difficult to have a relationship with someone you love, you isn't in the healthiest frame of minds. But I hope you get there. Keep going :hugs:

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: it has been 3 years - March 6th 2017, 05:33 PM

Hey,

I am glad that it has been three years that is amazing. I wish i could go that long with out having to be admitted.

It is also very good that you are reflecting back on the experience and seeing what went wrong and what went right. I understand fight the broken health care system it really sucks.

I am really happy for you.

Your Friend,
Essa<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: it has been 3 years - March 6th 2017, 08:57 PM

I think it's wonderful that you've taken such a potentially damaging experience and allowed it to have a positive influence on you. I'm sorry you've had to go through so much, but I'm glad you haven't let it keep you down.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: it has been 3 years - March 7th 2017, 04:54 AM

Hey, Susan!

I'm sorry you have dealt with mental health professionals that didn't do their job. You're such a strong person to take a difficult experience and allow it to strengthen and influence positive actions from then on. I'm proud of you, Susan. As for your dad, I understand it is a difficult relationship but I sincerely hope you two become closer. You deserve a healthy relationship with him.

You're such a sweet person and of course I'm always here for you anytime you need.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: it has been 3 years - March 9th 2017, 12:53 AM

I think you should be so proud of how far you have come and that you definitely should continue to think of the positives like this. You've got this!

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: it has been 3 years - March 11th 2017, 10:41 PM

It's wonderful you took a moment to look back on how far you've come. I think that is important, especially if it's on the scale of years. You should be incredibly proud of yourself! Don't worry about telling your dad, there's absolutely no pressure. You'll know the time is right when it happens, and hopefully your relationship with him will have improved by then.

Keep it up!

Closed Thread