TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wowsuchcontry Offline
SUCH KAPPA
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Marcelo Cong

WOW SUCH SOPHOMORE, WARNING: HUGE AND BORING TEXT - December 6th 2013, 12:11 AM

DISCLAIMER: BEFORE YOU PROCEED, KEEP IN MIND THAT THE TEXT BELLOW IS FULL OF SARCASTIC COMMENTS AND BAD JOKES, PROBABLY OFFENSIVE AND FULL OF STEREOTYPES AND OTHER THINGS THAT NOBODY LIKES, KEEP IN MIND THAT I DO NOT MEAN NOTHING OF THAT, AND I AM ONLY USING THAT KIND OF LANGUAGE FOR UNKNOWN REASONS, BUT THE SITUATION IS STILL REAL.

DIZCLAIMER 2: DIS DEXT HEFF 70% OF KONTAING GRAMER ERRORZ.

DISCLAIMER 3: THIS TEXT IS LONG AS YOU CAN NOTICE! INSTEAD OF SHOWING YOU THE ISSUE RIGHT AWAY, I WILL TELL YOU MY ENTIRE STORY IN A BORING WAY.

DISCLAIMER 4: THERE IS 99% OF CHANCE THAT I WILL FORGET TO MENTION SOME IMPORTANT DETAIL IN THIS TEXT, SO, IF YOU FEEL SOMETHING IS WRONG, UNCONVINCING OR NOT FULLY EXPLAINED, FEEL FREE TO POST IT BELLOW

Good Morning/Day/Night! So, the first thing that I want to make clear is: I AM ASIAN. (WOW SUCH IMPRESSIVE! WHY YOU SEEKING HELP IN EDUCATION? ARE YOU A BAD ASIAN?) AND I HAVE LIKE LOTS OF A`s.

I was not born in this county. I was born in Brazil, and I studied in Brazil for basically my entire life. Recently, for "A better education" and the "American Dream", I came to this country. But, if you live in Brazil, you know how things are slow, and I ended up losing three months or so waiting for my documents. (ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Brazil Best Country ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ)

So, I came here on the end of the school year as an freshman. (I already lost 1 year by waiting my documents, I could be a Junior back in Brazil by January.) So, I studied for an while and stuff, learned some English. (AMERICANS ARE NICE PEOPLE. MOST OF THEM.) I studied in regular 9th Grade classes for a month or so when the summer came. Obviously, I was in summer school. After the summer school and the vacation, holiday, break or whatever, I came back to school. I expected to be an Sophomore, but nope. It took a while to realize that I was taking freshman classes. I gone to my councilor and talked to her.

(DISCLAIMER 4: MY COUNCILOR IS A NICE LADY. THIS IS THE SARCASTIC VERSION.)

"YO, WASSUP BRAZIL DUDE, DO U SPEAK SPANISH MATE? NO? OK, ANYWAYS, YOU NOT SOPHOMORE BECAUSE HAHA, YOU STUDIED FOR 2 MONTHS AND TOOK SUMMER SCHOOL, YOU GOT NO CREDITS FOR SOPHOMORE CLASSES." She said.

"NO, WAIT, BUT... MY... I HAD LIKE A`S ALL THE DAY BACK IN BRAZIL." I replied.

"WHAT? YOU DIDN`T SHOWD ME MATE!"

"WAHT? YOU... U WOT M8?" I was pretty sure that my mom gave them my grades.

"OK, MATE, YOU KNOW WHAT? BRING ME YOUR GRADES."

And I did so, on the next day... I was walking around with my grades and showed to my councilor (If Brazil had GPA, I would at least have like... lots.)

"HEY MATE, WASSUP! HAVE YOUR GRADES?" She said. I handed her my grades. "OH, I SEE NOW, THIS LOOKS GOOD, ANYWAYS, I DON`T UNDERSTAND THE NUMBER OF 1-10 OR NOTHING FROM THIS THING, SO I AM GOING TO GIVE THIS TO THE (insertnameherethatiforgot)."

On the next day, I gone to my councilor again and talked to her:

"YO, WASSUP, SEE HERE? ACCORDING TO THIS BOOK, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AN FRESHMAN"

I looked at the book. It was the conversion of the Brazilian Grades to American Grades.

AMRIK HIGH SCHOOL:4 YEARS
HUEHUEHUE HIGH SCHOOL: 3 YEARS

"YOU FRESHMAN, MATE! NO, WAIT, YOU ARE A SOPHOMORE, BUT TAKES FRESHMAN CLASSES" She said.

See the issue there? Yes, but I didn`t right away, I talked to all of my teacher about it.

(WE INTERRUPT THIS BORING STORY TO EXPLAIN YOU HOW BRAZILIAN GRADES WORKS : WE HAVE 9 YEARS OF MIDDLE SCHOOL AND 3 YEARS OF HIGH SCHOOL ,BUT IN AMURIK IT`S 12 GRADES, SO, IT`S THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME.)

After talking to my councilor again, I finally understood the issue here. I gone to her office the last time and she said

"HEY, SEE THIS HISTORY, BIOLOGY, PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY,GEOGRAPHY, ENGLISH AND MATH CLASSES THAT YOU TOOK YOUR ENTIRE LIFE, MATE? HAH! THEY ARE WORTH NOTHING HERE! GO BACK TO YOUR ALGEBRA CLASS, ASIAN! AT LEAST YOU ARE NOT TAKING SPANISH BECAUSE YOU SPEAK SPANISH IN BRAZIL JAJAJAJAJA" She said.

You can imagine how I am upset about, it I studied hard my entire life to get here and get held back by the system? Since math in Brazil is not classified in algebra and geometry, IT`S WORTH NOTHING! YEY! Wait, MY ENGLISH CLASSES! They should worth something, right? WRONK! WRONK!!!!!! HAH! SILLY ASIAN BOY OUTPLAYED BY AMERICAN SYSTEM! DO YOU HAVE HISTORY IN 9TH GRADE? NO? NO POINTS FOR YOU!

Put yourself on my place, I worked hard in Brazil to get my grades up, I worked really hard, and I come to this country to they tell me that it`s worth nothing? That I will have to take 4 years of high school?

If I was studying right now back in Brazil, I would be an Junior in January. But here I am, held back by the system. All the teacher that I have( except PE and Choir) says that I am smart(one teacher even allows me to write fan-fictions of my favorite games for grades)

Now, I am stuck in freshman classes, I feel like I lost 2 years of my life just coming to this country. And on the next year, I will be a Junior taking Sophomore classes. Wow.

And I would like you, yes, you there! You survived this boring text! Now, is there anything I can do except accepting it and moving on? I am not sure about Charter school, It`s an new concept to me and I don`t feel comfortable about it.

Also, If I forgot something or you have questions, just ask it, I will be happy to answer it!

Thanks for reading my boring story. It really means a lot to me that someone else recognizes my situation. No, seriously, it means a lot.

Last edited by PSY; December 6th 2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Moved thread to the "Why Me?" forum.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: WOW SUCH SOPHOMORE, WARNING: HUGE AND BORING TEXT - December 6th 2013, 08:36 AM

Hey there.

I'm really sorry to hear about your misfortune with the American Education System. Don't feel bad - I have been in both public and private schools, and sometimes credits do not transfer over (due to private schools viewed at a higher standard than public schools in some areas). I wish I had advice to give you that can make things better, but unfortunately our education system and the rules they have in place aren't always the best.

The only bit of advice I can give you is to look into private schools and what they can offer. Maybe even call a few up and talk to them about what credits (if any) would transfer over. Chances are they will accept/transfer over more credits than public schools will.

On another note, don't view the last few years of your life as a "waste" or "worth nothing". Education isn't always about what degree you have, how much you spent to get that degree/education, how long you spent to get that degree/education, or where you went to get a degree/education. Education ultimately is about learning, and making yourself better and becoming a more knowledgeable person. You're doing this for you, and for your own benefit.

And on the bright side, you now have an extra 2 years of valuable education under your belt!

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

Closed Thread