TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Work & Thieves - March 17th 2014, 06:25 PM

I'm hard working, and writhe with rage at the thought of someone thinking I have an inherent duty to give them anything because I have "more" than they do. I avoid even thinking about it to stay healthy. It's theft. I've gone sometimes 3 nights without sleep working my arse off to get multiple projects done on time, for what? For some self-entitled layabout to profit from it? Someone who didn't have the initiative to push themselves the way I did? When university fees in the UK rose to £10,000 a year... to look abroad instead of blaming and swearing at the immigrants, government and bankers? To get up almost every day at 5 or 6am? And on top of it find the time to go to the gym every day? And keep up with family housework/various court proceedings that I've recently had to. Shoot these people in the iris, pls. I don't mind helping people, and I even enjoy it and do so proactively and often... but someone who thinks they're entitled to my pockets because I have "more" than they do, has no purpose. Simply. Such a person is a scrounger and a thief. They're entitled to their opinion, it's a democracy after all. But make a move on me, and I'll loose my shoe so far up that person's arse that it'll come outa their mouth with the guts attached.

Picture that, the focus and drive it takes to push yourself 3 nights to get something done on time to a 5.0 grade, after loosing all the work you've put in over the past 3 months, instead of giving up and getting drunk over it (I thought about doing it). And that's just a little piece of it. Now picture that focus and drive turned against someone who thinks they're entitled to help themselves to your profits afterwards. It's roadkill. That person's fucked if they do it.

The only thing standing between such a person and myself is my own common sense. What would I gain from loosing my shit? Usually nothing. It's better to let some things go, I know. But it's a matter of how personal it is and whether or not I'll be able to control myself.

Taking from others and shallowly justifying it by saying that they have "more" than you and it's "not fair". Or taking from others who have less than you saying that it's because "they're weak". Both sides of the coin are the same bullshit. They're pretexts. You're just an asshole that will find any excuse. The problem isn't the money. The problem is you. You lack respect for other people's basic democratic rights. I can find it in myself to forgive someone for such a comment if they're relatively young and don't even know what they're talking about, but I swear at the parents from whom that child probably heard it. There comes an age when people are responsible for their own actions and views.

I don't even think I've had it hard. If there's any reason why I "have it hard" it's because I make it hard on myself. There are plenty of people born into far worse situations than I was. I wouldn't even say I was born into a "bad situation". I'm not going to pose as a hard-ass here. I've had some bad things happen on the way, but these things and worse happen to a lot of people. I look at those people and realize that what I go through isn't even a small piece of birdshit in comparison. Then I look at those people who do nothing but make excuses, and they make me sick.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by NonIndigenous; March 17th 2014 at 06:48 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24

Re: Work & Thieves - March 18th 2014, 11:40 PM

Hey, there.

I can most definitely see where you're "argument" comes from. But on the other hand, I'm glad that you do recognize that confronting/fighting these types of people benefits you in absolutely no way. When I was a bit younger (a few years back) I found myself in a similar situation. I went to a private high school where me and my father had split the tuition in half. We'd each pay $5,000. I worked one full time, and one part time job, along with being full time at school. In my "group" at the time, I had three friends. One of which was in a similar situation as me, another person that struggled financially (couldn't find a job, begged for work, couldn't pay bills, etc), and then we had the third person who was in the same financial predicament, but didn't even try to get out of it. Instead, when we went out for dinner, he would beg for me to pay for him. I never had a problem paying for my other buddy (since I knew his struggle was real), but I had no compassion for my other friend who did nothing to improve his situation (or atleast try to). In the end, we had to move on from this friend as it became to much for us to handle.

So I totally understand where you're coming from. My best take on the matter is the following: Avoid those who put no effort in but reap the benefits, help those who legitimately struggle financially, and keep up the great work within your own life.

Best wishes,
Chris

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
— Malala Yousafzai
Closed Thread