TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

What is WITH these assumptions?! - June 4th 2016, 06:55 PM

I went shopping today. I'm going on holiday in a few weeks and there's a few things I've been meaning to get. One of which was a swimming costume. Not a bikini, a one piece suit. I have one already but I'd rather have two so I'm not wearing the same one all week.
Seemed like a reasonable request to me.

So I went into town and had a wander around three different shops. Each shop had 15 or 20 different bikinis, of which thousands of different combinations could be made. But only two or three one piece suits. Not only that, but every. single. suit. was one of these body form things that claim to 'pull in your fat' and make you look good.
They also cost more.

Why the fuck is there this assumption that just because I want a one piece suit, I must be fat and wanting to hide it? Sure, I'm a little lumpy and bumpy, but that doesn't mean I'm ashamed of my body and want to cover it up with a suit that makes me look skinny!
Not that it's anyone's business, but most of my psoriasis spots happen to be on my torso and I would like to protect them as much as possible from the chlorine because it dries out my skin and makes my psoriasis worse.

Why the fuck should I have to wear a fat sucking suit just because I don't want to wear a bikini? What is so wrong about wanting to wear a NORMAL one piece that doesn't cost a fortune because it sucks you in?

The other thing I wanted to get was some summery clothes. Scotland is having glorious weather and most of my clothes are big and dark and I'm baking in this heat. So I thought I would get some shorts, I have a couple of pairs already but if this weather keeps up it will be handy to have some spares as well.

So, having recovered from my swimwear rage, I wandered off to find some cute shorts. Imagine my horror when I found that every single pair of shorts on offer would showcase the bottom of my butt. At best, it would be covered until I bent over, at which point everyone would be greeted with the sight of my buttocks smiling at them. The worst ones seemed to be designed to show off your butt as if this is something women are expected to do. Why are there no shorts in the ladies section that are not an obscene length? I had to go to the men's section to get some shorts that came within a foot of my knees, and I'm only 5'3.

Don't get me wrong, my men's shorts are very comfy and I like them a lot. But why could I not get something suitable in the ladies department? I'm not asking for much, frankly I don't want my butt to get stuck to my bike seat while I'm on holiday because we all know the pain of ripping skin off leather or whatever the hell those things are made of.

So here I am, still with just one swimsuit and wearing my comfy men's shorts (which took a while by the way, because men's shorts are measured in inches, not sizes) wondering what is the point of having a female section in a shop if a girl has to go to the men's department just to get some real clothes and not tiny strips of fabric.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Average Joe

Name: Ry

Re: What is WITH these assumptions?! - June 4th 2016, 09:35 PM

I totally know what you mean. I always have problems finding clothes that aren't tiny strips of fabric. I'm just the kind of person who doesn't like having their bum and boobs on show all the time, which seem to be what you have to do to wear clothes these days.

Finding swimsuits is really hard. I like to wear them because I'm always scared that bikinis have nothing to hold them in place and knowing me I'd be one of those people who has something embarrassing happen. There are hardly any swimsuits in most shops, and those that exist are always tummy control or a sporty style, I like to have something pretty as its not a bikini.

Shorts are also impossible to find. I don't understand those ones that intentionally show bums either, nor do I want to see it. I find ones less than 4 inches inside leg aren't particularly comfy anyway.

I hate the clothes industry right now, it seems like there's only one type of everything that everyone has to wear whether they're comfortable with it or not, which just seems wrong.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  Send a message via MSN to CaptainCastle  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
evergreen Offline
per aspera ad astra

I can't get enough

Name: Oliver

Re: What is WITH these assumptions?! - June 5th 2016, 12:55 AM

I feel you, Llama. It's similar in the plus size specific stores and sections, but for different reasons. I actually prefer men's clothes if I'm honest. Better quality and much more comfy.

Glad you found something, though! And maybe if vacation isn't too close you can guesstimate sizes and order a one piece online.

“Remember the mountains and valleys that brought you here.”
- Morgan Harper Nichols

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half
I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: What is WITH these assumptions?! - June 5th 2016, 05:55 AM

When I got told to wear girl clothes for special occasions I always had the worst time trying to find clothes that weren't so revealing and I generally end up in jeans even in the middle of summer which gets to 40 degrees a lot. I don't actually ever go swimming but I wear bikinis anyway if I did go swimming so I can't feel your pain there, but I get the clothes one.

Now I typically wear mens clothes anyway just because they are comfy and I like baggy clothes so I am very glad that I don't have to go through that shopping experience ever again

At least you found something though, and maybe you can order online a one piece swimsuit? Swimmers will always be a pain to shop for, but at least you have one pair you can wear in the meantime.

Last edited by Sophrosyne; June 5th 2016 at 12:26 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Toreen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What is WITH these assumptions?! - June 5th 2016, 12:19 PM

Oh man I feel the pain..
Even for my school uniform, the boy's gym shorts are at least 4 inches longer... ugh
When I go shopping I always try to buy bigger sizes or sometimes i'll buy from the guy's section.
Good luck with your shopping c:

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: What is WITH these assumptions?! - June 6th 2016, 03:30 AM

I feel and it is such a pain in the ass. :/ You're awesome regardless but it does feel so sucky.

Closed Thread