TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Gay fail, metabruh - November 2nd 2016, 12:06 PM

This was pretty appallingly stupid. I was at my university today, and I needed a new notebook, so bought one. Any notebook does the job for me. It so happened to have rainbow colors, which I didn't even pay any attention to, didn't care, barely noticed it.

So I'm sitting there, doing my shit, learning for an exam. And these kids come along, lots of them, averaging maybe 18/19 years of age. My university often leases it's facilities to other organisations for training purposes, like for school leavers and such. I'm assuming that they had some sort of exam today, that's why there were so many of them.

Seems my notebook with "rainbow colours" was a bigger deal to them than it is to me. And I donno, perhaps they thought I was "one of them", also? This is Poland, where people really tend not to antagonise strangers this way (it's one of the good things). I've experienced stuff like this in the UK far more often. Presumably they didn't think I was a stranger, but I don't think they recognised me either. I donno. Maybe they thought I was "that weird kid" in their group who nobody knows because he doesn't talk with anyone. Whatever.

There was some laughter and funny looks, which I ignored (using headphones and loud music). I didn't have a damn clue what their problem even was. After about 5 minutes of this childish bullcrap a "brave" one actually came up and asked me "so what do you think about gay people?".

A lot of brainpower went into that question (not). I was expecting something a little... "more". Just more. I was little surprised. It just seemed so random. I didn't even know then that it had anything to do with my notebook. So I said the first thing that came into my mind:

"I don't think about gay people. You?"

I only realised few seconds after how good that response was. He did fuck off after.

Pretty proud of myself lol. It's about 5 minutes later that I realised (I think?) that this all happened because of a notebook with rainbow colors on it. I'm just not used to thinking in such idiotic categories, so it took a while for me to realise what their problem was. I feel dumber as a result. Their stupidity has rubbed off on me.

I get it that these things aren't funny to a lot of people, but often having a sense of humor about these things and laughing at people like that is the best solution (and to be fair, it's hard not to). Take the piss out of them. Laugh in their face, like a maniac. Maybe they'll think you're a psycho if you do it, and stay away.

Edit: on the other extreme of the spectrum, would anyone ever possibly assert that having a notebook with rainbow colors, is "appropriating gay culture" (or something like it)? I'm just wondering. This just occurred to me, in connection with some of the threads in the debates forum of this site.

I just never even thought in those categories until today.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; November 2nd 2016 at 01:50 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Gay fail, metabruh - November 7th 2016, 09:14 PM

Hi there!

I hate that some people just assume that people may be gay just because they have something rainbow on them. Rainbows weren't such a huge thing in the 90s, so why all of a sudden do everyone with rainbows mean that they are gay.

The way I see it is that rainbows are rainbows. I find rainbows to be really pretty! My friend, who is a lesbian, said to me "She has a rainbow pin on her bag, she must be a lesbian". I kindly told her that not everyone who has rainbow pins, bracelets, necklaces, etc are gay.

So in other words, I think that your notebook is cool! I'm glad you were able to move past this situation.

Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread