TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Moving Companies (rant) - November 19th 2016, 11:42 AM

This is just to let off steam about how frustrating it is to try and switch providers. On this occasion, for my mobile phone. It took me ages because Three were being really huffy about me leaving and it got to the point that it felt like they were making threats to try and make me stay.

I've been with Three for four years and I haven't really had any problems with them, aside from random calls every couple of months trying to sell my additional contracts. But I found a really excellent deal with BT that gives me more texts/minutes/data for £1 less than I was paying with Three. Hey, £1 is £1!

So I called up Three and said that as my contract ends next month and the deal with BT expires in a few days, I wanted to end my contract early. This is what happened:

Person number 1:
  • Asked me questions about whether I was happy with the service or if anything had happened that had made me want to switch. So I said no, I just had a better deal elsewhere.
  • Wanted to know the details to see if Three could match it (4GB data, unlimited texts, 500 minutes, £60 Amazon giftcard, unlimited access to BT Wifi Hotspots - £10/month). So I told them what I was getting and they offered the same data/texts/minutes for £10. Buuuut I was getting extras with BT so I said no. Which confused the guy but he said he'd put me through to someone in Cancellations.

Person number two:
  • Asked for all the same details to confirm who I was, what I wanted, and why I was leaving.
  • Told me that the deal they offered me was good and was £20 on their website.
    Okay so that pissed me off a bit, if I were a new customer coming in and I wanted that deal then I'd be getting ripped off because they offer it for £10 if you ask. I'd feel awkward calling up a company and trying to barter with them and I think they know most people feel the same. Anyway, I'm sure everyone does it, but whatever.
    I said no, I still wanted to move.
  • Said that if I changed my mind and came back to Three, I'd have to pay £20 like everyone else. Again I said no, I really wanted to move.
  • Pointed out that if I did decide to come back, I wouldn't get all the so-called 'benefits' of being a loyal customer.
I asked for a PAC code so I could take my number with me and he gave up and asked me to hold.

Person number three:
  • Was apparently from the cancellations team, not sure who I was talking to before.
  • Went through the same details of who I was, what I wanted, and why.
  • Made the same threats of losing the deal. I said I'd already signed up for the BT deal so too late.
  • Started with 'I don't even know why you're going to BT anyway, they're a broadband company and we're offering the same deal.'
  • Then added 'You can always change your mind about BT since you've just signed up, but after I get your PAC code the deal we offered you is gone and you get nothing.'

I mean, really? I know they wanted me to stay but I was getting really pissed off by this point. I insisted, again, that I really wanted to leave, I wasn't going to change my mind, and nothing they could say would make me change it.
He huffed a bit more that I was leaving them for what he obviously saw as an inferior company, and finally did what I asked. I was on the phone near to half an hour in total.

Would it be so hard to just say "We can offer you the same deal if you'd be interested in staying with us? No? I'm sorry to hear that, but thank you for considering it. I'll cancel your contract now."
Being pressured to change my mind just made me all the most adamant that I was leaving because they don't own me as a customer and their attitude was really frustrating me.

Anyway, his final 'threat' was that the PAC code would only last for 14 days so I better get a move on because it will take BT a while to get my number moved over.

This was all on Thursday afternoon. My new BT sim came in this morning so I'm just waiting for it to activate before I get my number moved over.

Disclaimer: Yes I was very upset the entire time. I am also sick at the moment so likely more sensitive than normal so don't mind my overreactions.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Moving Companies (rant) - November 20th 2016, 12:29 AM

Ew no it can definitely be frustrating. Of course the phone company doesn't want you to move because you're business to them, but hey, you do what you gotta do.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Moving Companies (rant) - November 20th 2016, 04:55 AM

That must be incredibly frustrating.
Word of advice to make it easier next time. Try going to the store in person, it often makes it easier (at least in my experience)

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Moving Companies (rant) - November 20th 2016, 07:36 PM

I've actually gone through the same type of situation. I wish that they were honestly nicer when it came to their customers. Why would they act like that if they want their customer to stay. I completely know why you're so frustrated though! I hope you like BT better

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread