TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lunar Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lunar

Feeling trapped with all the tech out there? - March 5th 2018, 02:40 AM

I know this is going to sound super dumb coming from a person who has an online account on this site, but it doesn't make anything that I'm about to say any less true. I'm feeling very overwhelmed with the amount of tech out there, and with how much it's being forced upon people. Now don't get me wrong. I know technology has come a long way. From medical and science advancements to personal life enhancements such as washers, dryers, heat/air, Televisions ect.

It's also super nice to have a computer and access to internet when I have a question I wanna look up. I don't always have to pull a book off my shelves or go to the local library to find what I'm looking for, and that's great. I also enjoy playing a little video game here and there, but I'm just not a total tech geek. (Not that I'm saying if you are, that's bad) but I just don't care for it all that much, but it's kindly overwhelming with how much it's being forced on people. For an example, I recently wrote out a letter to the Board of Education about homeschooling our daughter this coming school year, and I received an email saying it had to be typed out and printed.

My handwriting was totally legible and I even slipped it in a clear page protector to make sure while it's being stored that it wouldn't ruin the print, but apparently it still wasn't good enough. So I had to download a typing program on my computer to make sure that it was right. (I have notepad, but my husband said I might as well just find a free program in case I need to open any word documents from them in the future. Even though I'm not really sure what he meant by that.) I then typed out the same thing I had printed the first time, and wasted another envelope and stamp in order to send it.

I've also noticed that most places these days expect you to have an email account to do just about anything, and even going to get a job application requires you apply online most of the time. And if you don't have a computer you are expected to just 'figure it out' which I don't think is fair quite frankly. I know most people do have access to these things, and I know they make things so much easier, but I just feel overwhelmed by this. I love being able to pay my bills via online banking without leaving the house, but I don't like the fact that technology is forced upon me when I don't want it.

I'm also annoyed that our cable company keeps pushing us to get a TV package added to our account because we only have internet on there. But I don't really watch TV that much. I'm more of a 'lets go see a movie tonight' kinda gal, and even then I like going out on a date with my husband. (It's nice to get out every once in awhile) and I like to buy the movies too (I'm not someone who hates tech, or who thinks we should use candles to get around in our house.) I just like my space from the outside world, and I feel like bringing in Cable to our house would do that.

We have an amazon fire stick (I think that's what it's called?) and my husband and daughter watch shows and videos with our prime account on there. Which is great for them, and it helps us keep out the things we don't want our daughter to see/hear. Tv can be a little intrusive sometimes I think. Now please don't judge me, because I'm not judging anyone who watches TV or who has it. My parents have it, and my in-laws do as well and Ava watches TV over there all the time and I'm totally okay with it. They keep an eye on what comes on the TV and there isn't a problem, but it just isn't for me personally.

I also think this has to do alot with the fact that I'm just kinda stuck in my ways a bit? Growing up (Now I'm only 24) I lived with my grandmother and my dad, so we did things differently than most kids. I didn't have a phone till my 21st b-day, and I only accepted one then because I had ended up breaking down once and had to walk two miles to the nearest gas station to get someone to call a tow truck for me, and there aren't pay phones around anymore. I also didn't have a laptop until last year. I only have one because my husband bought it to help me with homeschooling stuff with Ava so I wouldn't have to drive to the next town over to the library. (And he didn't want to pay 25 cents a page for me to print out lesson plans and things.)

I know it can be useful, and I mean, I've found so many useful things on this site already that have been a great help for my sister, and it's nice to have a site that's easy to navigate and that I can kinda let things out on. (I've been looking for a place like this for ages, even if this one is called 'teen help')

I guess what kinda sparked this frustration is the fact that I LOVE D&D. I've been playing for ages, and it's always been my favorite. It's refreshing to be able to sit down with your friends and not have technology get in the way of some good old fashioned fun, but my husband ran across this online thing, where it pretty much makes the D&D process digital. You make your characters online, it does the research for you, and you can access any of the books at the tap of a button, which I get is super nice. We have all the D&D books and I'll admit it does take time having to search the books looking for the answer to a question, or for the stats on a monster, but to me, that's a part of what made it so much fun.

Now my husband wants to use this to make our games more 'streamlined' which I get..but it's just not the same for me. He says I don't have to use it if I don't want, but he thinks our friends will really enjoy it, because they are big on technology. I guess it just kinda got me down. I hate that things like this are changing and I wish it were different. Growing up these days just isn't the same, and it's kinda sad. Anyway, that's all I got. Thanks for letting me rant and stuff.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Feeling trapped with all the tech out there? - March 5th 2018, 10:38 PM

I don't think you rant is stupid at all, and I don't judge you. I like my technology, but I admit, it can feel too much at times. And it isn't really fair that everything these days is becoming digitalised...what about those that don't want to do things online or on a device and prefer traditional methods instead, or those that for whatever reason, can't use the internet/technology? It's hard trying to keep up in an ever changing world, and things just seem to be simpler back in the day and there are also many benefits that can be gained from doing things without technology, as you have seen with D&D.

It's good that your husband says you don't have to play the online version...maybe you can alternate it every now and then? With all the perks of technology, I don't think it has to completely replace traditional options. I like to think that you can have a healthy mix of both

HelpLINK Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread