TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Name: Sen

Unmotivated and done - March 26th 2018, 03:06 PM

Honestly, I'm really fed up with this. Possibly more than I should.

I'm a 15-year old Dutch student studying for the Cambridge Advanced English exam, a high-level exam which tests the participant's knowledge of the English language in a few categories: Writing, Speaking, Listening and Reading+Use of English. I'm a bit of a special case since the rest of my class does a lower level exam: the First Certificate of English (FCE).

Now, onto my problem. My English teacher is so horribly strict and full of herself that she (seemingly purposefully) shoots down any attempt at advanced English by me or my classmates. Honestly, she doesn't even get everything right herself. This morning she told undersized had to be hyphenated (under-sized) while that's not necessary. Under- is a living prefix, no hyphenation necessary.

Most recently we're doing a vocabulary assignment in which we have to think up synonyms and words for certain definitions. She somehow expects us to come up with incredibly expressive, precise synonyms for incredibly vague definitions such as "small in size" and "words used for describing changes in amount". And then when I give some synonyms (little, miniature, tiny, wee, microscopic, minute) they're suddenly not good enough. And EVERY SINGLE TIME she moves on to the next student she says (and I quote): "Save my sanity, give me four good words." or "Put me out of my misery". Jesus Christ, I don't think I have any other teacher that is this conceited and vain.

Now, I understand that in order to reach CAE level constant criticism is required. That's logical, however, the way this is conveyed could be MUCH better and a little praise wouldn't feel out of place either. Honestly I constantly feel as if I'm not good enough and that I should try harder, but I also have other things to deal with. I'm just incredibly unmotivated to actually study or put work into this because of this issue.

And before anyone recommends me to talk to her about this, she wouldn't care. She'd say the same thing, criticism is required to improve. And when I reply: "But miss, asking students to save your sanity and give them good words and proceeding to basically insult them isn't criticism." she'd most oikely say something along the lines of "But that's not how it works. It's a learning curve.".

You know, for an English teacher she is remarkably laconic and vague herself.

Sen
"Per aspera, ad astra- Through difficulties, to the stars"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Unmotivated and done - March 26th 2018, 05:25 PM

Your English teacher sure sounds harsh! Constructive criticism can help us learn from what we aren't getting right, but it definitely helps to balance this with positivity, praise and encouragement.

Since you've already tried talking to your teacher, without much of a result, the next best thing to do might be just ignoring the comments that aren't productive to your learning. There's a good chance that your teacher is feeling negative overall and just unfortunately taking it out on others during teaching.

HelpLINK/Live Help Officer | Click here to volunteer

Closed Thread