TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Taking on too much. - August 24th 2019, 04:31 AM

So, I currently work 37.5 hours, 5 days a week at a childcare centre and I recently changed my casual job from one bar to another. At my previous bartending job, I was getting one shift a week which would be on a Saturday afternoon from 12pm to 5pm. The hours at both jobs were great as I still got to spend time with my family and friends, go to the gym and study. However, with this new bartending position, the venue is due to open soon and they have given me my shifts for 2 weekends time which is Saturday and Sunday 12pm - 10pm. Needless to say, I'm kind of freaking out. I'm nervous, excited and anxious all at the same time. I feel like at my other bartending position, there was no room to grow career wise. They would always get me out onto the dining area to clean up dirty tables and I was never behind the bar. With this new position, I'll be behind the bar, more hours and more money. You're probably thinking why am I taking on so much with working 2 jobs as well as studying. Well, I recently sold my property to buy another one to move into. If I was to just work at the childcare centre, it won't pay enough to cover all the bills. I can ask my partner to move in with me but he won't (I already asked him. That in itself is another issue) or I can get someone else such as a co-worker or friend to move in but I just wouldn't feel comfortable in my own house and if something happens, I may lose a friend because of it. I'm trying to find another job (just one this time) that pays a lot more than what I'm getting at the childcare position. Another reason why I'm all over the place with working so much is the lack of time I'll be spending with my family. My family and I are close and I won't be able to get the time back. I'm hoping it's only for that weekend that I'll be working so much due to it being my training week. I have a few events coming up such as friends birthdays and baby showers that I've put down as maybe because of this new position. I'm just hoping I don't regret my decision. I think part of it as well is when I last changed jobs a few years ago, it backfired as the owners of the childcare centre I worked at were not very nice and I moved into an administration role where I lost my job due to the company losing out on money...or so they told me. Now I'm back to the same childcare centre I originally left. I'm just tired, physically, mentally and emotionally. Sometimes I wonder what it's like to be someone else and not to have to worry about this type of shit. I've had this property since I was 20...barely out of high school. I am extremely grateful that I am in the position I am today (which is partly because of my parents), I really am but other times I'm not.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I can't get enough

Name: Emma

Re: Taking on too much. - August 25th 2019, 12:14 PM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with all of this right now and I hope that you will be okay soon. You we're talking about how you have started a new job and you have more responsibilities and you will be working a lot more hours now then you're last job. If you are getting overwhelmed with anything that you are doing with this job, then would you be able to talk with the manager or someone who has trained you or someone who can help you with this job and let them know that you are getting overwhelmed and you need a little bit of extra help and see if they can help you out so that you are not getting overwhelmed and stressed then you are able to still do you're job and be okay. When you go to work you want to be able to do the job and still have fun and be okay doing it as well.

Would you be able to take some notes of what you are doing so that you are able to remember everything and you can keep these note cards with you so that when you are working you can pull them out of you're pocket and have them with you so that you are not stressed and you are okay, then you know what is happening.

You said that you bought property and you sold you're property that you have now, I wish you all the best with this. Sometimes this can be stressful too, try not to be so stressed out if you can. Would you be able to get a roommate for a while and see if they would like to be able to split the cost with you? You can try it out for a little bit and if you do not like the person then just tell them it's not working out. This way you are not taking on a lot more and you can have time for yourself too.

When you have time try to get you're mind off of this so that you are not thinking about it so much and you can be okay. For example going for a walk, or reading for a while or drawing or putting on a movie or TV show or calling a friend or something else that you enjoy doing for a while until you are okay. I wish you the best. Hugs.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor, Forum Moderator, Article Writer and Resource Editor. PM/VM

ďDance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
Itís the rhythm of your life.
Itís the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques díAmbroise

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Taking on too much. - August 28th 2019, 09:15 AM

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think it's the work itself that I'm stressing over. It's more so the hours they have given me. I know the simple thing I can do is to get a room mate but I wouldn't feel comfortable in having someone I don't know or a friend live with me. If something happens such as an argument or they are not paying their rent on time, I can lose a friend over it and I don't really want that to happen if I can avoid it.