TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Don't know what to do. - September 28th 2019, 10:22 AM

So in my other posts, I have written about feeling anxious when it comes to starting my second job which is casual. It's a position which I have 18 months of experience so it's not like it's a brand new job. They have rostered me on and I haven't even had the decency to turn up to any of them. I'm OK before the shifts but when the time comes for me to do it, I can't because I'm so anxious about going in. This job will allow me to gain more knowledge about the hospitality and there's more area for opportunity. The company and venue itself are great. They are organised and have given me the chance to prove myself. I don't know what it is that I'm so scared off. A big part of the reason is because I'll have less time spending with my family, boyfriend and friends. I know I'll have to push past the anxiety and go in and do a shift. I might even like it. I'll be making new friends, making more money and learning more about the industry. But this anxiety is stopping and destroying me slowly. I know the best thing for me to do is to talk to a professional about it and start taking my anti-depressant medication again but I was hoping to not have to rely on the medication to make me feel better. I am applying for jobs that pay a bit better and where my interests lies so I won't have to work as much.

Last edited by Dusk.; September 28th 2019 at 11:17 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I can't get enough

Name: Emma

Re: Don't know what to do. - September 29th 2019, 01:19 PM

Hello,

I am sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon. With this job that you are talking about, you said that you are getting anxious, would you be able to try to do something to calm yourself down before so that you are okay and you are able to do what you need to do. For example, if you can try having music with you and earbuds and listen to that. Or you can have a book with you or a small pad of paper and you can draw or write on or fidget spinner or have something else with you and try to do that for a few minutes and hopefully you will be okay.

Sometimes when we are trying something new and we are not able to see our family or friends for a while, we can get scared and that is totally okay to feel like this. It is us coming out of our comfort zone. A lot of times we will end up liking this new change that is going on, it just takes us a little bit of time because part of us may not want to go because we are scared and feeling different things. You go for whatever job that you want to and is right for you, because you are going to do great at them. I hope you will be okay soon. Sending you lots of hugs.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor, Forum Moderator, Article Writer and Resource Editor. PM/VM

ďDance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
Itís the rhythm of your life.
Itís the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques díAmbroise

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Don't know what to do. - October 2nd 2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfing girl View Post
Hello,

I am sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon. With this job that you are talking about, you said that you are getting anxious, would you be able to try to do something to calm yourself down before so that you are okay and you are able to do what you need to do. For example, if you can try having music with you and earbuds and listen to that. Or you can have a book with you or a small pad of paper and you can draw or write on or fidget spinner or have something else with you and try to do that for a few minutes and hopefully you will be okay.

Sometimes when we are trying something new and we are not able to see our family or friends for a while, we can get scared and that is totally okay to feel like this. It is us coming out of our comfort zone. A lot of times we will end up liking this new change that is going on, it just takes us a little bit of time because part of us may not want to go because we are scared and feeling different things. You go for whatever job that you want to and is right for you, because you are going to do great at them. I hope you will be okay soon. Sending you lots of hugs.
Hi there!

Thank you for your reply.

I just don't know what to do. Do I face my fears and go in, possibly feeling worse? Do I go in and potentially feel better I went in and faced my fears? I just feel like a wreck at the moment and this issue is consuming my life at the moment. I haven't even worked on things I love doing such as going to martial art classes or writing as much as I would like to.