TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Online
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Second job. - October 5th 2019, 07:05 AM

So even though certain things have been a lot better recently (I was approved a home loan yesterday, so that in itself was a huge weight of my shoulders), other aspects of my life have been a bit up and down. Yes, I admit, it may not be as bad as what others have it but I'm still struggling a little bit.

Currently, I'm in the process of finding a casual/second/weekend job in preferably in hospitality as I wish for it to be my career and also because I am currently studying my Diploma in Hospitality Management where one of the units at the end of the course requires me to work in a hospitality environment to complete the Diploma. I do have a trial tomorrow at a local restaurant, another trial at another restaurant, an interview for an entertainment venue and an interview for an animal shelter (yes, completely different but I love animals so I'm glad they called me).

I was offered a job at a local restaurant which realistically would have been perfect for me due to it being more opportunity than my other bar job and more hours.

My old job was only giving me one five hour shift on a Saturday afternoon (not that I was complaining because I still was getting that extra cash and being able to maintain a social life and do all the other things I wanted to do) but they were getting me to go and clean up after customers instead of being behind the bar like I wished to be. I worked there for 18 months so I had proved myself since I didn't have any bar experience before and I was behind the bar for about 6 or so months of those 18 months. I was often put in a bar by myself for a long time and I didn't receive any complaints from the managers. Recently, I went back to my old workplace and spoke to the venue manager who does the roster to ask if I could possibly get some shifts. He told me to email him my availabilities which I did the next day. Before I sent him the email, I saw they were advertising for bar and gaming staff and I mentioned in the email that I would like to learn more about the gaming side of the industry. I didn't receive a reply (the venue manager is notorious for not replying to emails or messages unless he has to or because it's important). I sent him another email a couple of days later and still no response. I went to check the roster the next day and my name wasn't on there. I called him and he didn't pick up. I sent him a text message and another email and still no reply. I sent him ANOTHER email a couple of days later and he finally replied. He simply said he had no availabilities for Saturday and Sunday which is the only two days I could work. So I left it. I did a lot for them and I did them a lot of favours and that's how they treated me. Every time I used to tell them I couldn't work a shift and it was approved, my name wouldn't be on the roster for the following week so I would have to chase him up to get a shift. I asked for the first two weeks off in August which he agreed to and since then he hasn't rostered me on. In order to be able to work around alcohol, I had to pay to do a course to get a certificate around not only alcohol but to be able to learn how to work in the gaming section where the poker machines are but they just used to make me do the dirty work. Literally.

The job that I was offered at the restaurant just renovated the venue which was needed and did a big recruitment drive so it was like a completely brand new venue. But I don't know what happened. Something scared me and I couldn't go in because of my anxiety. It didn't have to do with the company or staff itself. The company were great. They were organised and on top of things. I don't know if it's because of the hours (they were giving me between 7-10 hours Saturday and Sundays as they were the only days I was available because of my full-time Monday-Friday job. 7 hours isn't SO bad and I wouldn't mind doing 7 hours both Saturdays and Sundays but because I was new, I couldn't really dictate what hours I want) but I think it was because I wouldn't spend as much time with my parents, family, boyfriend and friends, doing things I enjoy or working on my own personal projects. I wasn't prepared for them to give me such long hours. I've been reading on Facebook about customers experiences about the restaurant and they have been saying that it looks like staff have just been thrown in the deep end and they don't know what they are doing. The extra money would have been great and I would have used it to put towards a holiday, treating myself once in a while to a book or makeup or putting the money aside to update some features for my investment property when I eventually move in there.

I did officially resign on Thursday, where I sent the Operations Manager, who also manages and rosters all of the Front of House staff, an e-mail to let him know I was resigning. He replied saying that it was fine and wished me luck for my future endeavours. But today I got a message saying that I had been rostered on. Because I am a casual, I can resign at any moment without much notice and they can terminate my employment without much notice (it's the law over here).

The reason why I wish to get a casual/second/weekend job is because the full-time job I have at the moment doesn't pay great at all and I am in the process of looking for a full-time job as well. There is a job that I am interested in but it requires me to get a qualification (the cheapest I've seen it priced is $1300 upfront. It's self-paced so it can take me several months or even longer to complete) when I might not get the job in the first place.

Most hospitality jobs are casual or part-time when I need full-time work to survive financially. I don't want to just accept a job when I won't be happy in the position and they may terminate my employment. I'm just lucky that the interview I have at the entertainment venue is full-time. However, I am a bit weary as when I first left the childcare centre I'm currently at, the other childcare centre owners were horrible to work for so I left after three months to go to work in administration where I lost my job after two or so months because they couldn't afford to keep me on. I then starting working at the bar casually until my two oversees holidays had finished. In between the first and second holiday, I worked part-time at a childcare centre and even though the hourly rate was great, the hours weren't. In the space of about two months or so while I was there, the owner sold the centre to a lady who asked if I wanted to work at her other centre which was about an hour or so away by car from where I lived. The hours varied from 5-8 hours a day so it wouldn't have been worth it for me to travel that far so I declined the offer when I got back from holiday, in case I hadn't found anything else before I went on holiday but lucky I did which was my old and current centre.

Sorry this post is long but I needed to get all of this off my chest.

Last edited by Dusk.; October 6th 2019 at 05:12 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I can't get enough

Name: Emma

Re: Second job. - October 7th 2019, 07:31 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry that you are going through so much and hope that you will be okay soon. I hope that after writing all of this, you we're able to feel a little bit better. Sometimes when we are going through something and we don't know what to do, it is good to just write it down that you have been going through. Because it gets out the different emotions that you have been feeling or what you need to get out of you.

Whatever job you take, you want to be happy doing it always. You do not want to go and not enjoy what you are doing and if the people are mean to work with. I know that everyone has to work, if you can try to make a pro and cons list of the different jobs. Then see what one is longer and what do you like about it and try to go from that.

Also try to talk to someone about how you feel too, you're family or friends and see what they think too if you want to. Sometimes having a parent or friend to talk to can help pick us up and make us feel better about what we are going through. Try to do something to get you're mind off of this for a while if you can so that you are not just thinking about it so much. If you like to go for walks or reading or drawing or writing or calling a friend or putting on music or funny TV shows or movies or something else that you enjoy doing. I wish you the best with this. Hugs.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor, Forum Moderator, Article Writer and Resource Editor. PM/VM

ďDance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
Itís the rhythm of your life.
Itís the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques díAmbroise

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Online
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Second job. - October 8th 2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfing girl View Post
Hello,

I'm sorry that you are going through so much and hope that you will be okay soon. I hope that after writing all of this, you we're able to feel a little bit better. Sometimes when we are going through something and we don't know what to do, it is good to just write it down that you have been going through. Because it gets out the different emotions that you have been feeling or what you need to get out of you.

Whatever job you take, you want to be happy doing it always. You do not want to go and not enjoy what you are doing and if the people are mean to work with. I know that everyone has to work, if you can try to make a pro and cons list of the different jobs. Then see what one is longer and what do you like about it and try to go from that.

Also try to talk to someone about how you feel too, you're family or friends and see what they think too if you want to. Sometimes having a parent or friend to talk to can help pick us up and make us feel better about what we are going through. Try to do something to get you're mind off of this for a while if you can so that you are not just thinking about it so much. If you like to go for walks or reading or drawing or writing or calling a friend or putting on music or funny TV shows or movies or something else that you enjoy doing. I wish you the best with this. Hugs.
Thank you for your reply.

I'll have to speak to someone about all of this.