TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Unhappy I feel robbed - October 11th 2019, 06:53 PM

Since coming back from university, I've been on a fitness instructing and personal training course since I absolutely love fitness and am really passionate about it. I even managed to secure an opportunity with my local gym where the manager agreed to take me on for a 2-week trial once I receive a L2 certificate in Fitness Instructing. Naturally, the opportunity to work in a place where I love being was like a dream come true.

After doing assignments and working through writing programmes, taking exams, and having to record video sessions of myself instructing clients, I finally passed. Only... I didn't know I had because I wasn't informed until a good month later (end of September) when I had to email my course provider and ask what on earth was going on... only to find out that I'd passed on the 30th August!

I let them know that I wasn't notified and my grade was still stated as a fail (I had to re-record a video because the sound was bad), that the comments were from some other submission, and it said I was graded on the 23rd, not the 30th. After notifying them of this, they swiftly changed it. I'd also asked them when I will be receiving my certificate. They tell me I will get a temporary certificate on Friday (last Friday as of today) and an official one 4 weeks later. The temporary one still hasn't arrived.

I emailed the gym manager asking him if I could still begin trial shifts, if they were still open, despite not yet receiving either certificate as I'd passed L2.

I get an email back today telling me that he already took on another personal trainer and that the position is no longer open.

My heart absolutely sank. Not only did I lose out on my dream job through no fault of my own, but the manager didn't even bother to kindly notify me of this beforehand, or to ask about the status of my course.

I knew something was wrong when I was at the gym yesterday and the manager was around a lot. He would smile at me when normally he doesn't smile much at all. And then I'd see some guy in shorts and t-shirt helping out with things. Basically, the stuff I was supposed to be doing. I knew from that moment my position had been filled by someone else.

I'm so angry. I feel like I was robbed. I've pushed so hard to get my qualification, just so I could be there. He saw me several times yesterday. He could have at least had the decency to let me know he's selected someone else. I would have been more ok with it. Sure I'd have been upset, but at least he would have done the right thing and to let me know rather than lead me on with smiles and silence until I had to approach first and ask.

I can only hope that because now I'm technically qualified as a fitness instructor, another gym would be willing to take me on instead.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I can't get enough

Name: Emma

Re: I feel robbed - October 12th 2019, 12:58 AM

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time right now with this and hope that you will be okay soon.

I'm truly sorry that this has happened to you, when you are studying so much and doing you're best to try to get something and it does not work out for you, it is not a great feeling. You have every right to be upset about this, you are going for something that you truly love to do and you are helping out other people too. As a fitness instructor, you are helping people who want to get healthy and I think that's an amazing thing to do. I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with this right now. Can you see if another gym will be able to hire you? Would you be able to go and look around at them and see how many fitness instructor, they have and ask to talk to someone about this. If you only see a few of them, then maybe they need more.

If you can try to do something to get you're mind off of this for a while, so that you are not just thinking about it so much and it is making you feel upset more. Try going for a walk or putting on music or funny TV shows or movies or reading or drawing or writing or painting or calling a friend and see if they would like to do something with you or something else that you enjoy doing. I hope that you will be okay soon. Sending you hugs to help you.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor, Forum Moderator, Article Writer and Resource Editor. PM/VM

“Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
It’s the rhythm of your life.
It’s the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Online
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I feel robbed - October 12th 2019, 04:25 AM

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear about what happened and I can definitely emphasise about the situation. It can disheartening when potential employers don't get back to you to let you know about what is happening or to keep you in the loop. The only advice I can give you is to keep trying. The right job will come up for you. Unfortunately, things don't happen the way we want it to but the right position will come up and we often are thankful that we waited even if it may not seem like it right now.

I hope I helped and you are more than welcome to message if you need anything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: I feel robbed - October 12th 2019, 11:57 AM

Thank you both for what you have said. Last night I did email another gym asking if they would be willing to take me on, but as it's the weekend I expect I'll have to wait. I doubt they will, but I guess I will just have to keep emailing gym after gym until I run out of options.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I feel robbed - October 13th 2019, 12:37 PM

I am sorry to hear this has happened to you, it can be very disheartening to find out something you worked so hard for such as a dream job was handed over to someone else; and it's even worse when there's been no notice and everything was out of your control.

I am glad you went ahead and reached out to other potential employers. I hope you hear from someone next week.

Best of luck.

Articles Writer Newsletter Editor Resource Editor Social Media GuruChat Buddy

TeenHelp Member since 2010