TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Chit-Chat (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f32-chit-chat/)
-   -   How fast do you type? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f32-chit-chat/t67939-how-fast-do-you-type/)

anony mouse. February 24th 2011 07:22 PM

How fast do you type?

So I saw that a few people mentioned typing in Ceilidh's thread, so I thought I'd make one just about typing. I type really fast--my record is 110 words per minute. :nosweat:
How fast does everyone else type?

Infinite Limit February 24th 2011 07:27 PM

Re: How fast do you type?

Between 70 and 80 w/s I think, if memory serves me correctly!

Just Peachy. February 24th 2011 07:29 PM

I just did an online thingy lol

82 :D

Everglow. February 24th 2011 07:39 PM

Well i thought i typed pretty fast but i make alot of typos, so mine was only 55 per min. :(

Brandon February 24th 2011 08:28 PM

It's hard to tell because we may compare our type speeds to those displayed on type tests, but if you really think about it...they aren't as accurate as they should be. I think there's many variables that need to be considered in type tests. Here's why:

1. The main thing is that we have to read from the screen, interpret the message in our brains, and then type it. If we were just free typing, like we are now, we interpret our message while typing.
2. Because it's reading from a screen, everyone reads at a different rate. If someone reads slow and they take a typing test, they will try to read fast and thus not only make reading mistakes, but spelling and punctuation mistakes as well. And an authentic type test will penalize you for errors. The more errors, the harder it is to get a good score. So typing tests really only benefit from people who can read fast and be able to multi task better. A slower reader may be able to type faster than a fast reader, so I don't think it's an accurate way to judge how fast someone types. The results are very flexible.

3. When we use words in repetition, our minds will adjust to them. I don't often say "astronaut" because it's not in my daily vocabulary. I could be able to type a 10 letter word faster than a 6 letter word if I'm used to saying the 10 letter word more often than the 6. Again, not very accurate if you think about it.

4. Someone may have better motor skills than other people. If I make a mistake, it may take me longer to recognize that I made an error later than someone else. So if I'm typing something and I get a word wrong, it's possible that I could be typing another word after that and end up deleting not only the correct word, but the incorrect word. Again, it's inaccurate.

I'm willing to bet that we type MUCH faster on a chat room than we do reading from something because you're reading off of someone else's ideas rather than coming up with your own. Those are just a few examples...I could've also included other things like keyboard malfunctions, the temperature in your room, things that are distracting you, etc. According to a test, I type 70+ words a minute but like BMI, I'm gonna say that it's just a number that means absolutely nothing.

Pelios February 24th 2011 09:24 PM

I don't know probably around >50.

Spellbound February 24th 2011 09:42 PM

My highest is 110, too! :hehe:
But on average, I probably type about 90. :p

Kitty. February 25th 2011 07:52 PM

I type about 90. :)

Kumagoro February 25th 2011 08:25 PM

I don't know how many words per minute I can do, but I know I type pretty damn fast, as does my best friend. Maybe we should have a competition. :bleh:

Evanescent February 25th 2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon (Post 590783)
It's hard to tell because we may compare our type speeds to those displayed on type tests, but if you really think about it...they aren't as accurate as they should be. I think there's many variables that need to be considered in type tests. Here's why:

1. The main thing is that we have to read from the screen, interpret the message in our brains, and then type it. If we were just free typing, like we are now, we interpret our message while typing.
2. Because it's reading from a screen, everyone reads at a different rate. If someone reads slow and they take a typing test, they will try to read fast and thus not only make reading mistakes, but spelling and punctuation mistakes as well. And an authentic type test will penalize you for errors. The more errors, the harder it is to get a good score. So typing tests really only benefit from people who can read fast and be able to multi task better. A slower reader may be able to type faster than a fast reader, so I don't think it's an accurate way to judge how fast someone types. The results are very flexible.

3. When we use words in repetition, our minds will adjust to them. I don't often say "astronaut" because it's not in my daily vocabulary. I could be able to type a 10 letter word faster than a 6 letter word if I'm used to saying the 10 letter word more often than the 6. Again, not very accurate if you think about it.

4. Someone may have better motor skills than other people. If I make a mistake, it may take me longer to recognize that I made an error later than someone else. So if I'm typing something and I get a word wrong, it's possible that I could be typing another word after that and end up deleting not only the correct word, but the incorrect word. Again, it's inaccurate.

I'm willing to bet that we type MUCH faster on a chat room than we do reading from something because you're reading off of someone else's ideas rather than coming up with your own. Those are just a few examples...I could've also included other things like keyboard malfunctions, the temperature in your room, things that are distracting you, etc. According to a test, I type 70+ words a minute but like BMI, I'm gonna say that it's just a number that means absolutely nothing.

I enjoy reading your posts Brandon because of how much thought and detail you put into them. I seriously do.

To answer the question I type at about 90

Jesus Christ. February 25th 2011 10:47 PM

On a very unfamiliar keyboard, laying down, I got forty something, I'm assuming I'd be significantly faster if I was under optimum conditions, like my usual keyboard and sitting up.

Veni Vidi Vici February 26th 2011 03:12 AM

Around 70-80... Not bad I guess, although I don't usually keep this up.

Boxy February 26th 2011 04:34 AM

If I'm copying from another document I type between 40 and 65 wpm depending on how many numbers and symbols etc are in it.

If I'm free typing.. just form my head it's anywhere from 70-100 depending on how furiously I'm typing.

The fastest I've ever recorded myself typing was 120 wpm.

Metal♥Lover February 28th 2011 01:16 AM

Let's just say...I don't type very fast. Haha :P

ForeverAutumn* February 28th 2011 01:38 AM

130-160...depends on the keyboard! How heavy the keys are and if they're sticky and all that. :p

anony mouse. February 28th 2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn* (Post 593079)
130-160...depends on the keyboard! How heavy the keys are and if they're sticky and all that. :p

In my old computer class, we had to do typing tests and the keys were sooo sticky! D: :( I just remembered that. XD

Evanescent February 28th 2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn* (Post 593079)

D: Wow...just, wow

Tara. March 7th 2011 06:57 AM

Super fast. :D I don't know exactly atm, because I haven't taken a test lately.

BabyGirl767 March 9th 2011 08:13 PM

I can type 650 characters in three minutes at 40 WPM. and I can type 44 WPM and 222 characters in one minute and 41 WPM and 416 characters in two minutes, too bad I scored so low, I feel so slow :[

Batman. March 9th 2011 08:29 PM

I haven't had a typing test in AGES! When I was 11 or so, I got tested last, and it was like, maybe 70-something words per minute. Its been over a decade since then, so now it could easily be a lot faster. I remember my teachers were blown away by my score though. LOL

Berries and Cream March 10th 2011 04:00 AM

55 wpm! I'm slooooooow hahah. These are my results from this online typing test thingy.
In one minute, I typed at 58 WPM, with only 3 errors. So my accuracy was 94%. But with errors counted, my overall WPM was 55..........eeeeeeehhh lol.

Then I improved in my second test, yay. I typed 61 WMP with 3 errors again..

Heretic March 11th 2011 07:59 PM

On my laptop (where I'm accustomed to the keyboard) I average between 90 and 100 words per minute. If I'm really "in the zone" with it, I can get up to about 120, but that's pretty rare for me.

mIssIng:nO March 11th 2011 09:48 PM

113 max is like 120 I think

But thats when I try to type fast, normally its around 90

SouthernBelle. March 13th 2011 04:49 AM

101-103 words per minute, but I have reached 109 (maybe 112?) WPM during the Typing Tutor game in my BCA class. Unfortunately, the silly teacher is trying to teach us to type 'properly', which is really just making me slower...

So around 88-92 WPM, at least until I can break away from that stupid program that makes you use the 'correct' shift button and doesn't allow you to backspace, and go back to the old one. :)