TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

View Poll Results: Do you find weight numbers triggering?
Yes 24 33.33%
No 27 37.50%
Sometimes 18 25.00%
Other (explain below) 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#41 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Do you find weight numbers triggering? - June 17th 2012, 04:17 AM

Not anymore, but I voted "sometimes" because I have been triggered in the past by weight numbers on other sites.

I like to be in shape, and for a while (when I wasn't exercising and was either eating too much or to little of all the wrong foods), it became very triggering for me to see weight numbers. I'd admittedly developed something of a fear of food and scales, because I hated to see how "much" I weighed. Now that I've discussed a proper diet with my family and my physician, and I've gotten back into running and yoga like I used to, it doesn't bother me. I now understand that I'm at a healthy weight, and no matter how little someone else weighs, it's not a competition.

The only way it bothers me now is to see girls my height on other websites who obviously have eating disorders (according to their weight and height) and aren't getting the help they need.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 887784 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#42 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Do you find weight numbers triggering? - June 19th 2012, 11:55 PM

Yes, I find them triggering. I have not had an eating disorder before (recently have been hoping I am not developing one). But I have always been self conscious about my size and weight. So when I hear or see weight numbers I cant help comparing to myself witch often doesn't make me feel to good and never ends well.

(#43 (permalink)) Old
crazychick10793 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Vicky

Re: Do you find weight numbers triggering? - June 21st 2012, 10:31 PM

i voted sometimes. in cases where people are like "oh I weigh XX pounds I'm so fat!" I'm like well I weigh X more than them they must consider me giant.

But if say my friend was on a diet and said to me oh I want to lose X pounds by September I wouldn't really care.

(#44 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Do you find weight numbers triggering? - June 24th 2012, 10:42 AM

I think it would be beneficial because it can help gauge what would be appropriate, dieting and exercise wise. Someone who is morbidly obese might have trouble with "Run 5 miles three times a week", and if we actually knew how much they weighed, compared to their height, we could give better advice.

It would also allow people to report on how they have been losing weight, and getting healthy. There's nothing to be more proud of then getting healthy, and it'd be nice if we could say how we're doing, getting support along the way. It's not very interesting to just read "lost weight this week".

We have triggering labels for a reason, and when you're warned about a topic that may trigger you, nobody but yourself caused you to view the thread, unless some mad scientist has you strapped to a chair with your eyes taped open, barring that, I'd say we're good.

You choose how your body looks, if you want to be healthy, you eat well and exercise, if you eat fried food all day and live a sedentary lifestyle, you've done it to yourself. Yes of course, there are extreme examples, "I have no legs, I can't run", etc. But when there's a will, there's a way. You choose what you put in your body, show some self control.

As a personal example, I made a thread about military weight and physical requirements, asking about exercises to prepare me for all of that, and the weight numbers were deleted.... the ones published by the governmnet every year, it's a fact, not an opinion, and I can't really get my answer without saying "Hey look, XYZ is the maximum weight allowed, I need to be below that by this date, here's how much I need to lose, do you have any advice or encouragement?"

Or we could comprimise and say "No opinionated weight numbers", so no saying "UGH I'm so fat because I weight XYZ", but allow simple facts such as "I weigh XYZ, I want to lose X pounds by Y date, do you have any advice on what it would take to reach my goal?", or, "I'm so proud, I lost X pounds this week, I've really watched what I ate, and put in a few good hours of cardio". If you can't handle that, the real world's going to be Hell.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

Last edited by Guile; June 24th 2012 at 10:51 AM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#45 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
I'm full of sugar and spice.
I've been here a while

Name: Char

Re: Do you find weight numbers triggering? - June 24th 2012, 01:07 PM

I don't have an ED, however, I do find weight numbers triggering. I have issues with both my self esteem and body image. And when someone writes something to the effect of 'I weigh XX and want to lose XX lbs' it makes me feel like I should be doing that, and I should be like that. And then one thing lead to another.
I don't think weight numbers, BMI or caloric numbers should be allowed.

Closed Thread