TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Flight. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 11:36 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I was watching the news today and an employee was sacked because he swore at his boss. He was later reinstated because an agency thought it was a bit too extreme.
Do you think that being sacked is a suitable consequence for swearing at your boss?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 11:44 AM

No, I used to call my Manager the 'C' word in front of his face and behind his back. He never did seem to mind for some reason. Swearing should not get you sacked from a Job.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 11:47 AM

Majority of the people at my workplace swear, even when the boss is around. I don't think I've ever seen anyone swear towards someone and if they did, I don't think they'd get sacked because of it. If anything, a warning would do.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 12:42 PM

In customer service, swearing should be an automatic dismissal. There should be no two-weeks notice (as it is by law here), and anyone caught swearing near, around or at a customer should be dismissed without a dismissal package.

However, if it's light-hearted banter in an office setting, and the boss or other employees see it as acceptable, then swearing should not get you fired. Hostility should, but not swearing.

People don't seem to take enough responsibility for themselves and don't seem to think they should be held accountable for anything. There should be strict disciplinary rules in every workplace that are exhaustive and circulated. There should be no excuse for not knowing discipline, and not know what said rules are. A autocratic organisation is mostly an effective one (not necessarily a happy one - and yes, I understand that in some settings, happiness directly correlates with efficiency, but perhaps not effectiveness). People need to be more accountable for their actions.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 01:30 PM

If there are customers around, there should be absolutely no swearing because it creates a very poor image of the business that the employee represents. The employee should be given a warning and told that further swearing likely would result in their job termination. If the swearing is in an office setting away from customers, then it would depend on the effect it has on other employees. Bantering with a bit of swearing is fine. Swearing at the boss is fine if the boss deems it so and has no problem with it.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 02:34 PM

If it is a restaurant (or a customer service as said above) and there are customers there should not be any swearing. But without customers i dont see any harm in it.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 03:38 PM

Definitely not. I went to work with my dad when I was 16. The nickname of the woman beside him was 'Sweary Sandra' and although she was very good that day, his boss swore a few times before looking at me and apologising for it. (As if I cared!)
People swear, it happens, get over it. If someone is using that to be genuinely disrespectful and insulting, then yes, discipline them. Otherwise, there's nothing to get worked up over.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composure View Post
In customer service, swearing should be an automatic dismissal. There should be no two-weeks notice (as it is by law here), and anyone caught swearing near, around or at a customer should be dismissed without a dismissal package.
Seriously? So if someone accidentally swears under their breath or it sounds like they have they should be fired immediately? That's beyond unnecessary. Warnings yea but immediate dismissal is silly.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 04:21 PM

It's called being professional. If your swearing all the time, impertically in front of customers, your not reflecting your company in a good light. Now, if it's behind closed doors and your bosses don't mind, then hey go at it. But if your going around and saying "cvnt f^cker" or simular harsh woods, don't expect to be promoted all that fast, if at all.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonsteroids View Post
Seriously? So if someone accidentally swears under their breath or it sounds like they have they should be fired immediately? That's beyond unnecessary. Warnings yea but immediate dismissal is silly.
No, it's not silly. It's called maintaining reputation and standards. A warning is not a punishment; it is a warning.

Of course, exigent circumstances may call for a warning (i.e. being physically harmed in some way), but if you have no prior justification for swearing, and you merely swear under your breath within earshot of a customer, you should be gone. That's poor standards, and it affects that particular business.

Granted, out of ear shot, and you're free to fuck dicks up all you fucking like (within a set of provisions determined by your employer)... So long as it's out of ear shot.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 07:46 PM

I think it really depends on the job whether swearing at work is okay or not. Personally, I can't swear where I work, because it's a high school setting & I try to be as professional as possible. Since I'm not much older than the students there, it's hard enough to be taken seriously, & by acting more mature & more professional, students are more likely to listen to me & it looks good to my boss.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 09:37 PM

Where i work my boss and my co worker are complete idiots. They swear at me all the time even though they are chinese and apparntly chinese people dont like to use bad words. They swear at me infront of customers and everything. If im going to have an argument with them (im hot headed) ill wait ujntil theres knowone in the shop then that way if i do swear then it doesnt really matter because knowone else is in the shop.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 10:12 PM

Depends on what kind of job, and what kind of swearing. Dropping something and saying "Shit" in front of your boss is one thing, but cussing them out or calling them rude names? I wouldn't be surprised if you got fired. There is a degree of professionalism that needs to be shown in a job, and I would never swear in front of my boss, personally.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Garyl Offline
What's next, little man?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

Re: Swearing? - June 14th 2012, 10:17 PM

If you swear in front of a customer you should automatically be dismissed. When you are working in customer service, you are the face of that establishment/company. If customers see you swearing, it reflects badly on the company, so yes, you should be let go.

Away from customers, that's another story. I swear a lot with my co-workers when we aren't in front of customers, and I've sworn around my boss before, too, although that was too unprofessional for me so I did feel bad about it. He didn't mind, though.

However, this says the man swore AT his boss. I could see it going either way. It depends on the situation and the man's behavior in conjunction with his cursing. If he was railing at his boss in blatant belligerence of a policy, yes, he probably should've been fired. But if it was a stray curse word passed in private conversation? No, dismissal is too extreme.

Let's eat some spectral oats!
  Send a message via Yahoo to Garyl  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Swearing? - June 15th 2012, 05:45 PM

Depends on the working environment I know for a fact if I swore directly at my boss because of the place where I work I would most likely be sacked. Whilst at work we do swear .only once the children have all gone home, but I have never ever sworn at any one at work, I have at times said oh for f*** sake or 'oh shit' or something around my colleagues it is never directed at them more just a word. I think it also depends on the context and the way the swear word was used, I mean I call my friend 'bitch face' all the time in a jokey sarcastic voice, but when used in an angry and violent way it can change a whole situation. I can see why the person was sacked.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Swearing? - June 15th 2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composure View Post
No, it's not silly. It's called maintaining reputation and standards. A warning is not a punishment; it is a warning.

Of course, exigent circumstances may call for a warning (i.e. being physically harmed in some way), but if you have no prior justification for swearing, and you merely swear under your breath within earshot of a customer, you should be gone. That's poor standards, and it affects that particular business.

Granted, out of ear shot, and you're free to fuck dicks up all you fucking like (within a set of provisions determined by your employer)... So long as it's out of ear shot.
It is quite silly. I understand the whole standard thing you're trying to get across but rubbish like that could justify all sorts of punishments. Warn them first and foremost then yea kick them off it you want. But firing them straight away is too drastic.

And you're including both swearing at a customer and it being accidental.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Swearing? - June 16th 2012, 05:25 PM

I don't really like the idea of restricting our vocabulary in any way. But, there's a difference between swearing in front of your boss and swearing at your boss. If you're being abusive, using swear words or not, then you deserve some sort of punishment for it.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Swearing? - June 17th 2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonsteroids View Post
It is quite silly. I understand the whole standard thing you're trying to get across but rubbish like that could justify all sorts of punishments. Warn them first and foremost then yea kick them off it you want. But firing them straight away is too drastic.

And you're including both swearing at a customer and it being accidental.
I don't think so. You are getting confused with punishment and deterence. "Standards" justifies a whole range of punishments, insofar as to alter or change some sort of common social element amongst the people - I institute a punishment for wearing odd socks, and most people are going to wear a pair of socks from then on. That's called deterence. Not punishment. The punishment is simply a means to an end.

A warning is not a punishment - it is a warning arising from an incident that precedes a punishment. It has no deterence factor as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I do include both swearing at a customer and it being accidental. If vulgarity simply slips out of your mouth, then it is your fault for not controlling it. If vulgarity is a natural reaction to something occuring - e.g. if you burn yourself, it seems a natural reaction to swear; if someone orders a double bacon chicken deluxe burger, it's certainly not natural - then it wouldn't be punishable. Ergo, the latter would be punishable whilst the former would not.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Swearing? - June 17th 2012, 08:33 PM

If you're working in a customer-facing role or with children, then definitely not for obvious reasons. If it's behind closed doors and isn't forbidden by your contract, though, then I'd say it's fair enough within reason. Being outright abusive is still a no-no, but I've effed and blinded in practically every job I've had thus far (with good reason ) and it hasn't gotten me fired yet. People realise that sometimes you've just gotta vent, and it's certainly better than breaking things...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Closed Thread