TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 04:03 AM

Link

Quote:
BOSTON ó Massachusetts health officials have approved regulations that would require sending children's Body Mass Index measurements home to parents.
The Public Health Council voted unanimously Wednesday to calculate student heights and weights, which are already measured annually, into a Body Mass Index measuring their overall proportions.
The results will be sent home to parents for students in first, fourth, seventh and 10th grades in a package explaining what they mean and how parents can best combat obesity.
Department of Public Health Medical Director Lauren Smith says Massachusetts will join Arkansas in notifying parents about a child's Body Mass Index. Eighteen other states require a BMI calculation.
The new regulations will be phased into schools over the next 18 months.
If this EVER happens in Colorado, I will be there fighting it. I think this is insanely ridiculous. I think I would have been humiliated, being a "fat" kid. A person's BMI is between the child, the parent, and the doctor. It's none of the school's business, people aren't sending their kid there for weight measurements.

I think this may only push premature eating disorders too. No one wants to be the "fat" kid who got a big "OBESE" sign stuck across their card.

I think it'd be okay for the school to require proof of regular doctor visits or something, and have an option for kids to be able to get help through them, or a clinic near them or something.

What do you think?

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 04:13 AM

Privacy corruption.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 04:14 AM

I think the matter can be handled sensitively between the school, parent, and child. Obesity is a very scary issue in America, and if giving the right information to kids and their parents early makes the difference of whether the kid lives a long and fruitful life or dies of heart disease at 35, I'd be willing to take the risk of potential humiliation. Also, not every family can afford regular doctor/clinic visits, public school is free and mandated by law.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 04:19 AM

Not really the schools business.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 04:46 AM

I find this to be a rather big waste of time. First, BMIs are notoriously unreliable and aren't the best of things on their validity. Second, they're not showing anything amazing. If a kid is obese, then showing that on a BMI isn't going to be a huge shock. You're not going to be all "ZOMG WTF I'm obese" if you're in grade 10 and --- pounds. It's just identifying an already obvious problem. I'm sure that the parents would be well aware that their child(ren) are obese, unhealthily skinny or average. If they don't know that by simply looking and being around them, then sending a little BMI report card home isn't going to do much good. If the parents know but couldn't give a shit, then the BMI report card is once again useless.

Overall, it's simply a hornblower to an already obvious issue. What needs to be done is a strategy to fix it. Seems like a big waste of time and effort to me.

Last edited by Katrina; April 11th 2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: No bodily weight numbers anywhere on the forums, even in this thread, please sir.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
I think the matter can be handled sensitively between the school, parent, and child. Obesity is a very scary issue in America, and if giving the right information to kids and their parents early makes the difference of whether the kid lives a long and fruitful life or dies of heart disease at 35, I'd be willing to take the risk of potential humiliation. Also, not every family can afford regular doctor/clinic visits, public school is free and mandated by law.
I feel that it would cause more problems at school. I plain out wouldn't have gone to school if this was the case, and I assume there are others who feel the same. But the school isn't even helping with obesity, they're giving you a packet on where you can go to get help, so you'll need a doctor anyway. If you want your kid to be weighed right there with you standing there at the school, I'm sure the school nurse would be happy to do so.
Plus, BMI isn't a sure sign of obesity. I have larger bones than most people, and it sends me off the obese scale, where I'm really not. It'd cause concern because the nurse or whatever couldn't speak to each parent and completely explain this - if they're even thinking about this to begin with.

-Robert Frost

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Santeria Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jeremy

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 04:59 AM

I think it's important to measure children's BMIs. But its not the school's business, it should be done by their pediatrician/ primary care physician. Schools always want more power/control over kids' lives, they're like Nazis >_<

PM me, I'm bored

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 05:03 AM

Does the school need to know all details of the kids life?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 05:07 AM

BMI's are totally unreliable, and shouldn't be used to battle obesity.Besides if your kid has weight issues you usually notice, unless you really don't care, but most parents would notice. I agree with you Maria. I have big points, so BMI makes me bigger than I am.There is a scale that measures body fat and muscle, not weight, so that might be better than the old BMI scale.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
BMI's are totally unreliable, and shouldn't be used to battle obesity.Besides if your kid has weight issues you usually notice, unless you really don't care, but most parents would notice. I agree with you Maria. I have big points, so BMI makes me bigger than I am.There is a scale that measures body fat and muscle, not weight, so that might be better than the old BMI scale.
BMIs shouldn't be used at all really. Low validity, low reliability. If a test has such low validity, then forget the reliability, it's a shit test. Slap the low reliability on there and you've now got a joke of a test that should be tossed in the garbage right away. The BMI does have 1 good use though: it's easy for even the stupidest person to understand the meaning of the results. Unfortunately, the results are shit and shouldn't even be taken with a grain of salt.

Do you mean measuring the ratio of body fat and muscle?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 01:26 PM

Well, I think the only thing they could do was give a BMI with the data they have the right to collect. It might be a "bad test", but it's something to show their parents to give them a ballpark range for where their kid should be. I know that my doctor shows my parents growth/weight curve diagrams and shows what percentile my little brother falls under. Perhaps they should do that?

I mean, yeah, if the kid is fat the parents will know, but just because they know doesn't mean they'll do something. An alarming number and a packet of resources may be the best thing going for them if they can't afford going to a regular pediatrician once a year for check ups. I always thought it was amazing to see parents continue to beef up their unhealthy kids-- I hope a lot of that is just due to lack of proper knowledge about healthy eating for kids.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#12 (permalink)) Old
sakuchan Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 01:41 PM

I agree with all the above posts..

This is just stupid IMo..

I think this could change if they tried.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 01:42 PM

BMI's are NOT an accurate way to measure the weight of children and teenagers, my doctor told me this. If this does go ahead, the obesity rate will decrease and the number of children with eating disorders will increase.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Sissa Offline
Distorted Reality
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sissa

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 03:35 PM

I'm torn on this one. Obesity is a huge issue and I think the parents need to be educated, so they know how to help their kids become healthy. But then when I think of the emotional effect of it. The stress and the pressure it will put on the kids - no "normal"(by that I mean healthy, thin person) can fully understand that and therefore it is possible that the whole thing won't be handled discretely and sensitively enough.

Breathe infinity into my world.
  Send a message via MSN to Sissa  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Marionette. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 03:38 PM

BMI doesn't calculate anything.
Most atheletes are in the 'Obese' category due to muscle weight etc.

It's totally inappropriate and I don't see it having much point really.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Barbed Lungs Offline
Crazy Cat Lady
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicola

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 03:39 PM

As has been said, BMI's are not that reliable, and I think this is an invasion of privacyand the schools shouldn't have the right.

---
- I'm not strong enough to stay away -
- and I wanna leave -
- and I wanna stay -
- And I'm so confused -
- So hard to choose between the pleasure and the pain -
---
  Send a message via MSN to Barbed Lungs  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 06:56 PM

I think parents would know if their kids are fat.

Seriously though, I agree with everyone who says it's going to cause Eating Disorders. 'Cause it is. Can you imagine how terrified some kids could be going in to get weighed?

People are bad enough on picture day.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionette. View Post
BMI doesn't calculate anything.
Umm... what? How exactly do you think they get the various results? There is a mathematical equation that it used, so yes, it does calculate something. How do you think they get the results without doing any calculations?

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 09:44 PM

I hate when people use BMI...Like stated above, it can prove to be unreliable.

Lets just say, I do NOT look as overweight as BMI suggests I am (I'm a good mix of fat and muscle). According to how much I "should" weigh, I'd be like a damn pencil.

I'm not saying there isn't an obesity problem in America, but I think there should be other ways to measure it so we can get a more accurate description on how prevalent it is.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 10:07 PM

BMI isn't a perfect measure by any means, but in the majority of cases it's a pretty good indicator. And personally, I find the "if the kids are fat, the parents will know about it" argument falls a little flat, because if that's the case then why are a huge percentage of Americans still overweight/obese? Whatever people choose to think, the problem is undeniably there, and not getting any better. If a huge, red "YOUR CHILD IS OBESE" stamped across a report card is what it takes to galvanize some otherwise indifferent parents into action, then so be it. It's not sensitive, no, but you know what they say about eggs and omelets. Embarassment fades away, heart disease doesn't.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 10:56 PM

I don't like this. At all.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 11:05 PM

Well schools do other testing as well. They conduct vision tests, hearing test, when we hit puberty we take the examination for scoliosis. Honestly I don’t see this as been any different from those tests. I have had several times in a health examination at school where they check your BMI anyways, at least this way they inform your parent if something might be unhealthful instead of keeping it to themselves. And at least they are trying to do something about the juvenile obesity problem. I think this might possibly be helpful.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
Well, I think the only thing they could do was give a BMI with the data they have the right to collect. It might be a "bad test", but it's something to show their parents to give them a ballpark range for where their kid should be. I know that my doctor shows my parents growth/weight curve diagrams and shows what percentile my little brother falls under. Perhaps they should do that?

I mean, yeah, if the kid is fat the parents will know, but just because they know doesn't mean they'll do something. An alarming number and a packet of resources may be the best thing going for them if they can't afford going to a regular pediatrician once a year for check ups. I always thought it was amazing to see parents continue to beef up their unhealthy kids-- I hope a lot of that is just due to lack of proper knowledge about healthy eating for kids.
I see what you're saying - yet I still have to disagree. And you also slightly contradicting yourself? Or I suppose it depends on how you read it. Yes, parents do know if their kid is obese. They can get a BMI chart and weigh their kids themselves if they're that concerned about it. And if you think giving them a packet of resources would help, give them the packet? There's no need to add a huge obese sign to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissa View Post
I'm torn on this one. Obesity is a huge issue and I think the parents need to be educated, so they know how to help their kids become healthy. But then when I think of the emotional effect of it. The stress and the pressure it will put on the kids - no "normal"(by that I mean healthy, thin person) can fully understand that and therefore it is possible that the whole thing won't be handled discretely and sensitively enough.
I completely agree. I love how you said this. Thought I'd point that out. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Well schools do other testing as well. They conduct vision tests, hearing test, when we hit puberty we take the examination for scoliosis. Honestly I donít see this as been any different from those tests. I have had several times in a health examination at school where they check your BMI anyways, at least this way they inform your parent if something might be unhealthful instead of keeping it to themselves. And at least they are trying to do something about the juvenile obesity problem. I think this might possibly be helpful.

First off, as other people have said BMI is not reliable. Second off, we do vision tests, and hearing tests, yes. You also have to get a parent permission thing. And weight is much more sensitive than weight? Hence eating disorders. We don't get any other examination, and honestly, I would refuse even if they did. Heck, even when we were in the hospital if we didn't have an eating disorder and we looked healthy but were too subconcious about our weight - we had the option to not get weighed. And most definitely we've never been weighed at school. And I know that parents and students would stand up against it.
Helpful? Could you please explain how it's helpful to kill kids self esteem? I'm going to assume it's not the feeling when the kid sitting next to you gets a peek at the "Obese" label on your card. Or when a kid assumes that the nurse is making a dirty look at them for their weight, and decides maybe they shouldn't eat for a while. There are doctors for a reason. If giving someone an unreliable sense of if they're fat or skinny is what helps you sleep at night, go see a doctor. Go find a scale and a BMI chart.
I don't go to school to have someone tell me and my parents I'm fat. I never have. Anyone can look at me and know I'm fat. We don't need awareness to let us know that I'm fat. Like.. really.

-Robert Frost

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 10th 2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post

First off, as other people have said BMI is not reliable. Second off, we do vision tests, and hearing tests, yes. You also have to get a parent permission thing. And weight is much more sensitive than weight? Hence eating disorders. We don't get any other examination, and honestly, I would refuse even if they did. Heck, even when we were in the hospital if we didn't have an eating disorder and we looked healthy but were too subconcious about our weight - we had the option to not get weighed. And most definitely we've never been weighed at school. And I know that parents and students would stand up against it.
Helpful? Could you please explain how it's helpful to kill kids self esteem? I'm going to assume it's not the feeling when the kid sitting next to you gets a peek at the "Obese" label on your card. Or when a kid assumes that the nurse is making a dirty look at them for their weight, and decides maybe they shouldn't eat for a while. There are doctors for a reason. If giving someone an unreliable sense of if they're fat or skinny is what helps you sleep at night, go see a doctor. Go find a scale and a BMI chart.
I don't go to school to have someone tell me and my parents I'm fat. I never have. Anyone can look at me and know I'm fat. We don't need awareness to let us know that I'm fat. Like.. really.
I have been weighed many many many times in my school career, I donít know about you guys or where you live. But we must have done this every year during PE, we all got weighed we were all told what our body fat percentage was. And honestly I donít remember it being a big deal for anyone because it was something we were all so used to. And since we already practice this, I donít see how much more harm it could do to send a note home if they thought someone might be seriously wrong. You say it might hurt their self esteem, but I would rather my child have low self esteem then die from obesity.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#25 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
I don't like this. At all.
Could you perhaps state your reasonings? Saying you don't like it, give no reasonings and be done with it, is meaningless in debate. If one is in a debate, the "i agree/disagree" is needed but what is more important is why. Give no why, then it's a pointless statement.

Lizzie: I find that rather interesting that schools do such tests. Eye tests and such I think are very useful and would not cause as much self-esteem nor bullying problems as the unreliable and unvalid BMI tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig
And weight is much more sensitive than weight?

HUH?

The way I see it being helpful for their self-esteem is this: if you get tested, get the results saying you're obese, then yes, it may kill their self-esteem but along with the potential bullying, they can grow some skin. People take things far too personally and if they can grow some skin, then their self-esteem won't take such a beating each time they're called a fat ass.

But what I'm not understanding is this: if you, your friends, your parents, hell the random hobo or local prostitute all know you're fat, then why do you care if someone calls you fat? If you can clearly live with being fat, then who cares if someone labels you or calls you fat? It's not going to be a huge shock and I really don't see how it can personally affect you. This is somewhat what I meant by growing some skin: if you are told over and over that you're fat or see that on paper, you're going to not only get used to it but any ridiculing will make you stronger. You may be all sad and boohoo hoo for a bit but, you'll be stronger, more resilient to petty insults or being told something that you already know. Hell, you even label yourself as fat, so I'm really confused as to why you care so much if someone in the school tells that to you and your parents.

It's like someone telling me "you're tall". OK, so? You've stated the obvious. I personally couldn't care less if I'm labeled as being tall, average height or a fat-ass midget. You admit that it's stating the obvious, so why get so personally offended and refuse to get these tests?

(#26 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 01:38 AM

WAIT WHAT?!
I LIVE IN MASSACHUSETTS?!?!?!?!?!!?
AHHHHHH
This is terrible!!!!

This is RIDICULOUS. Oh my gosh.

So not fair.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 01:51 AM

This wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Like Lizzie, I have been weighed often at school. I think that this would be a good thing to include. As a child, I didn't go to the doctor unless I was sick. I didn't receive regular check ups, so I wasn't aware of things like my BMI. I was overweight as a child and I think that my mother could have done a better job of helping me had she been provided with the proper resources to do so.

--A

(#28 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 05:14 AM

Whether or not parents know what BMI is, if a kid is very overweight, then the parents can tell. It's kind of... obnoxious, though, to include it on the report card.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliegym View Post
Whether or not parents know what BMI is, if a kid is very overweight, then the parents can tell.
Not necessarily. Parents have this weird tendency to see only the best in their kids. To the parent, the kid is intelligent, friendly, attractive, and an example to us all. To everyone else, they're a drooling, obese imbecile who kicks puppies. If it takes a school report to shock the parent out of their deluded state, so be it.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Not necessarily. Parents have this weird tendency to see only the best in their kids. To the parent, the kid is intelligent, friendly, attractive, and an example to us all. To everyone else, they're a drooling, obese imbecile who kicks puppies. If it takes a school report to shock the parent out of their deluded state, so be it.
It won't always work to shock the parents. I've seen plenty of parents who refuse to see obvious issues, especially obesity even if it's slapped in their faces. So, as a shock method, I don't think all the parents will be shocked. After all, if they only see the good, then why would they want to acknowledge the bad? Some may but not all.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Sissa Offline
Distorted Reality
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sissa

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 10:56 AM

Clearly, the only people/students who won't like this are those who are overweight/obese. And then those who have eating disorders, or are in a danger of developing one even if they are not overweight - there will still be kids with lower BMI than theirs, right? If this was done privately in the nurse's office, if no one witnessed it and if the "report" was sent to the parents directly then I see how it could do more good than harm. But if it will be performed like the weighing in PE classes that Lizzie mentioned, then I don't think it will be emotionally healthy. And I'm kind of pissed that people ALWAYS see the physical health as more important. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. An eating disorder can kill you just as easily as a heart attack. I had to go through the weighing every single year and I am mildly traumatized by it. I was never fat, but there were still girls who weighed less than me and it messed with my head pretty badly. Result? No self-esteem. It has somehow coded into my head this one thing: thinner = better. Once you get that, it's hard to get rid of it.

Quote:
But what I'm not understanding is this: if you, your friends, your parents, hell the random hobo or local prostitute all know you're fat, then why do you care if someone calls you fat? If you can clearly live with being fat, then who cares if someone labels you or calls you fat? It's not going to be a huge shock and I really don't see how it can personally affect you. This is somewhat what I meant by growing some skin: if you are told over and over that you're fat or see that on paper, you're going to not only get used to it but any ridiculing will make you stronger. You may be all sad and boohoo hoo for a bit but, you'll be stronger, more resilient to petty insults or being told something that you already know. Hell, you even label yourself as fat, so I'm really confused as to why you care so much if someone in the school tells that to you and your parents.
It's not the same because being tall isn't socially undesirable. Being fat, however, is. You may know what you are/what you look like, but as long as it's kept quiet, as long as you have still hope that other people are not noticing it so much, you can keep calm. Once it's publicly announced and said to your face, people will pay attention to you. And kids are cruel - they laugh, they tease, they don't want to be friends with you just because you aren't pretty etc. People in general can be sensitive, because everyone wants to be perfect. Kids who are growing up are especially sensitive to the critique and their peers' opinion matters the most to them.

Breathe infinity into my world.
  Send a message via MSN to Sissa  
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
darlingllnikki Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 03:16 PM

i think that this is actually a good idea. BMI says what your healthy weight should be for your age and height, as a child I had a chart that would show if i was in the normal weight or not. I like a few others was always weighed in school and it's not like your doing it on a stage with lights flashing your weight across the school. Its usually just with a samesex gym teacher. Also this could help if people are extremely underweight.
If children were just healthy this would be nothing to worry about. Its usually the parents fault if their child is overweight so they should know what they are doing to their children.

And i hate to say but there is no such thing as being big boned. All bones are the same weight and size in obese people and skinny people.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 04:53 PM

Hmmm... problem is that BMI's aren't very accurate because they don't take into account fat:muscle ratio. I'm apparently overweight because I have a lot of muscle.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Last edited by Toast; April 15th 2009 at 04:44 PM.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingllnikki View Post
i think that this is actually a good idea. BMI says what your healthy weight should be for your age and height, as a child I had a chart that would show if i was in the normal weight or not. I like a few others was always weighed in school and it's not like your doing it on a stage with lights flashing your weight across the school. Its usually just with a samesex gym teacher. Also this could help if people are extremely underweight.
If children were just healthy this would be nothing to worry about. Its usually the parents fault if their child is overweight so they should know what they are doing to their children.

And i hate to say but there is no such thing as being big boned. All bones are the same weight and size in obese people and skinny people.
Then I suggest you take a basic course in human anatomy. This is absolute nonsense. Bones are bigger and smaller in certain people, and they also vary with age. If you don't believe that, then look up any decent and credible research article.

But, perhaps I can clarify it for you. Bones, for the most part have a variety of functions, one of them is to support the body. Now, do you honestly think that given 2 people, same gender, race, age, height, etc... but different weights will have the exact same size and weight of bone? Consider one of them to be XXX pounds and the other to be XXX pounds. So, either the XXX pounder has incredibly weak bones and their legs will likely break a lot faster, which oddly enough is rarely the case, or the XXX pounder has incredibly thicker bones, which oddly enough is not the case. So, explain your logic and reasoning, hopefully using some amount of biology to explain that.

Last edited by udontno; April 11th 2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: weight numbers are against the ToS

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 09:28 PM

To everyone arguing that BMIs are inaccurate, I think you're missing the point. Yes, they're less than perfect, but consider the context; this is a report card. Someone who gets an A in math isn't necessarily any better at math than someone who gets a B. Hell, one of my friends struggles to keep a B average and yet is one of the smartest people I know. All those marks tell you is that person P got N% of questions correct on X number of tests, and person Q got M% of questions correct on the same X tests. You can infer from that who know the material better, but it's only an inference and prone to error, just like BMIs.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
darlingllnikki Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 11th 2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Then I suggest you take a basic course in human anatomy. This is absolute nonsense. Bones are bigger and smaller in certain people, and they also vary with age. If you don't believe that, then look up any decent and credible research article.

But, perhaps I can clarify it for you. Bones, for the most part have a variety of functions, one of them is to support the body. Now, do you honestly think that given 2 people, same gender, race, age, height, etc... but different weights will have the exact same size and weight of bone? Consider one of them to be XXX pounds and the other to be XXX pounds. So, either the XXX pounder has incredibly weak bones and their legs will likely break a lot faster, which oddly enough is rarely the case, or the XXX pounder has incredibly thicker bones, which oddly enough is not the case. So, explain your logic and reasoning, hopefully using some amount of biology to explain that.
I actually have taken quite a few human biology courses, and of course I know that taller people will have larger bones than someone who is shorter. But bones generally only make up 15% of body weight. And it is usually your frame that is bigger rather then your actual bones. But this doesn't mean that your bones are bigger, its more of the space between the bones.

Also I don't know where you live, but if you watched Celebrity Fit Club on VH1 a couple of years ago. But a fellow named "Big Bone" didnt beleive the doctor that his bones would be the same size. This is what they found out.

"Last, but certainly not least, is our Big Boy, Bone Crusher. To prove that being big-boned is not Big Bone’s problem, Dr. Ian had Bone’s bones x-rayed. Then Dr. Ian had his own bones x-rayed. He asks Bone to pick who’s who. Now, I can see the shadow of Dr. Ian’s skinny little leg, and I can see the shadow of Bone’s huge gut. But Bone thinks the bigger bones are his, and, of course, they’re not. They’re Dr. Ian’s. Dr. Ian gets all "I told you so": "Can we finally put to rest that it’s not about being big-boned?" But Bone don’t want to hear it. "Alright, whatever, whatever. God Bless America. I’m still stronger. I’m still stronger!" Bone’s not too bright. Bone’s down a holy-sh*t XX lbs., to XXX. I know that seems almost impossible, but the first time I joined Weight Watchers I lost XX lbs. my first week. The more you have to lose, the quicker it comes off in the beginning. Bone is, of course, elated. This is the biggest individual loss in Fit Club history. Congratulations Bone! "

Last edited by udontno; April 11th 2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: weight numbers are against our terms of service, please do not post them. :-)

(#37 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 12th 2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
I actually have taken quite a few human biology courses, and of course I know that taller people will have larger bones than someone who is shorter. But bones generally only make up 15% of body weight. And it is usually your frame that is bigger rather then your actual bones. But this doesn't mean that your bones are bigger, its more of the space between the bones.

Also I don't know where you live, but if you watched Celebrity Fit Club on VH1 a couple of years ago. But a fellow named "Big Bone" didnt beleive the doctor that his bones would be the same size. This is what they found out.

"Last, but certainly not least, is our Big Boy, Bone Crusher. To prove that being big-boned is not Big Boneís problem, Dr. Ian had Boneís bones x-rayed. Then Dr. Ian had his own bones x-rayed. He asks Bone to pick whoís who. Now, I can see the shadow of Dr. Ianís skinny little leg, and I can see the shadow of Boneís huge gut. But Bone thinks the bigger bones are his, and, of course, theyíre not. Theyíre Dr. Ianís. Dr. Ian gets all "I told you so": "Can we finally put to rest that itís not about being big-boned?" But Bone donít want to hear it. "Alright, whatever, whatever. God Bless America. Iím still stronger. Iím still stronger!" Boneís not too bright. Boneís down a holy-sh*t XX lbs., to XXX. I know that seems almost impossible, but the first time I joined Weight Watchers I lost XX lbs. my first week. The more you have to lose, the quicker it comes off in the beginning. Bone is, of course, elated. This is the biggest individual loss in Fit Club history. Congratulations Bone! "
Thank you for contradicting yourself then. You said bones are always the same size:

Quote:
All bones are the same weight and size in obese people and skinny people.
And now, you say:

Quote:
I know that taller people will have larger bones than someone who is shorter. But bones generally only make up 15% of body weight. And it is usually your frame that is bigger rather then your actual bones. But this doesn't mean that your bones are bigger, its more of the space between the bones
Not only is this a contradiction, it's utter garbage. Explain to me, just how can someone's frame be bigger yet have the same frame? The "space between" is bigger? This is nonsense.

And no, I haven't watched the thing you mentioned. Judging from the part you quoted, it's just as much garbage as you're spewing. 2 peoples bones, one is a hell of a lot taller or fatter will have bigger bones. This is a generally well-accepted fact, some random TV show/article not even scientific doesn't prove a single thing. It proves, if anything, you need to be better at the courses you claim to have taken.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
darlingllnikki Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 12th 2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Thank you for contradicting yourself then. You said bones are always the same size:

And now, you say:

Not only is this a contradiction, it's utter garbage. Explain to me, just how can someone's frame be bigger yet have the same frame? The "space between" is bigger? This is nonsense.
Maybe you don't understand what a frame is? What i was trying to say was that even if you have "big bones", which means usually you have a wider bone frame, your bones are in ratio to your body in terms of frame. However obese people do have more muscle around their bones to hold up their larger frames, which makes their bones appear larger.

And the 15% was only in a healthy person at a normal weight for their height.

Quote:
And no, I haven't watched the thing you mentioned. Judging from the part you quoted, it's just as much garbage as you're spewing. 2 peoples bones, one is a hell of a lot taller or fatter will have bigger bones. This is a generally well-accepted fact, some random TV show/article not even scientific doesn't prove a single thing.
To be honest, at least I'm looking things up and not just insulting people. and for the record this was the only article I could find since the show was easily 4-5 years ago, and is not on the vH1 website anymore.

Quote:
It proves, if anything, you need to be better at the courses you claim to have taken.
I've taken 2 human biology courses, and 2 forensic science classes. And i got A's in all three and I'm graduating Sigma Cum Laude this fall.

And i saw early on that you said that BMI wasn't accurate, but then why would doctors have been using it for years?

(#39 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 13th 2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
I've taken 2 human biology courses, and 2 forensic science classes. And i got A's in all three and I'm graduating Sigma Cum Laude this fall.

And i saw early on that you said that BMI wasn't accurate, but then why would doctors have been using it for years?
Your mathematical skills aren't so hot... . Just as a little note, I've taken/taking 7 university biology courses, 1 medical pharmacology course, and a variety of other courses (i.e. chemistry, physics, calculus, psychology).

Doctors use it because it's quick, easy to understand, easy to administer, many clients know roughly what a BMI is and it gives a mediocore result. I'm not fully sure on this, however, there may be few other tests that measure this, and that are quick, easy to administer and to understand. So, let me ask you this: why do neuroscientists use MRI scans for individuals when clearly, there are problems in identifying very specific regions with it noted in numerous research papers?

(#40 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: BMI Report Cards - April 13th 2009, 04:50 AM

The last time I went in for a physical, my doctor took my BMI and told me I was obese.

I'm not going to say I'm lightweight,(I'm 6'1" and XXX pounds), and I am a giant by human standards. I used to play football, and I'm just a tank as some people put it.

Which is why I hate BMI. It tells me I'm Obese, but I can outrun and overpower my friend Andy who weighs like 2/3's of me and who is considered in "perfect shape."

BMI is not an effective tool, simply because it is just too damn inaccurate. Its a cheap tool to lump people into categories that don't necessarily apply to them.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
Closed Thread