TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Angry Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 04:35 AM

http://markprobst.livejournal.com/15293.html
This is soooooooooo messed up! I'm completely outraged!!! how do you think they justified this?????
It pissed me off so much that i made a facebook group, lol... the link is in my siggy if you want to join....

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 04:46 AM

Good thing I don't go on the website.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 04:46 AM

I've bought a few things from Amazon, but not anymore!!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 05:13 AM

I'm glad that I don't shop there, either.

--A

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 06:19 AM

Oh boy, I can't wait until the media backlash hits them. This should be fun to watch indeed.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 06:52 AM

The DramaLlama has rolled into town for Amazon. I'm sure the media is going to beat and twist this one to High Hell *gets popcorn made while waiting*.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kate

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 07:26 AM

If they remove everything someone considers 'adult' they are going to lose a lot more products than that.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Sissa Offline
Distorted Reality
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sissa

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 03:07 PM

I don't understand one thing - how is a gay romance considered an "adult" book that needs to be hidden and the regular Danielle Steel shit isn't?

Breathe infinity into my world.
  Send a message via MSN to Sissa  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 03:36 PM

Heh...this is idiotic.
I'm sure media pressure will make them put the rankings back up again..

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
TJ. Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: TwinJ

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 03:50 PM

Guy's they are not removing the items from marketplace, what they are doing is pulling them from the best sellers listings. Why? Because there are a lot of parents that are very conservative and don't want their children looking at those books or reviews or titles.

Simple way for them to fix this is to add a filter adult content option in the profile which will hide or display them depending on your choice.

They are doing this because LGBT IS considered an adult topic, children don't know or have the mental capacity to figure out the extent, of what LGBT is. If you told a 9 year old he can marry a boy or girl, he would go crazy and want to marry his BEST GUY/GIRL FRIEND at the time without understanding what LGBT really is.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 04:40 PM

I think everyone understands the reasoning behind what Amazon did, but it's preposterous and offensive all the same. And I highly disagree that LGBT issues should be kept away from children. There's nothing inherently traumatic or damaging about sex and sexuality, and children aren't going to be any worse off for being educated about it.

But that fallacy-ridden argument aside, this is still pretty much either a move on behalf of the conservative right wing, or a move to appease them, and shame on them either way.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
*******UPDATE**************
Publisher's Weekly now has a story here, that an Amazon spokesperson claims this is all a glitch and they have no such new policy. My caselog is still active in my Advantage account with the response from customer service rep Ashlyn D. Also I'd like to point you to this blog of an author who received this same response from Amazon back in February. Amazon has some 'splainin' to do!

***********UPDATE #2******************
As of 8 AM this morning (April 13th) The Filly has had it's ranking reinstated by Amazon. I also noticed Alex Beecroft's False Colors was reinstated as well. Many others are not, so they haven't fixed the "so-called" glitch as of yet.
...From the original link.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Amazon.com - April 13th 2009, 11:27 PM

I still won't purchase from them Ebay is my friend.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Amazon.com - April 14th 2009, 06:31 AM

I'm just curious as to how reliable this is.

Besides, even if it is true I go on amazon.ca, not amazon.com

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Last edited by Toast; April 15th 2009 at 04:39 PM.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
wanderlust Offline
zz
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Amazon.com - April 14th 2009, 07:42 AM

Talk about a step backwards...

i thought censorship was getting better?

A single thread in a tapestry
Through its color brightly shine
Can never see its purpose
In the pattern of the grand design

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Amazon.com - April 14th 2009, 12:07 PM

Meh, I don't really care. I'm still going to shop there.

It'll all get sorted out anyway and disadvantaging myself by not shopping there wont help anyone.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Amazon.com - April 14th 2009, 02:11 PM

If I buy online, which is rather rare, or if my family buys online, which also is rather rare, not using Amazon because of this one event seems silly. If they have what I want for a relatively cheap price, then I don't care if they discriminated against gays, blacks, latin and midgets altogether, I'm still buying from them.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Barbed Lungs Offline
Crazy Cat Lady
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicola

Re: Amazon.com - April 14th 2009, 02:13 PM

At least they sorted it out. My 1000 products long wishlist is all on amazon, so there's no way I'm not using it anymore. They made a mistake, everyone does.

---
- I'm not strong enough to stay away -
- and I wanna leave -
- and I wanna stay -
- And I'm so confused -
- So hard to choose between the pleasure and the pain -
---

Last edited by Barbed Lungs; April 14th 2009 at 04:25 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Barbed Lungs  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Amazon.com - April 14th 2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus View Post
They are doing this because LGBT IS considered an adult topic, children don't know or have the mental capacity to figure out the extent, of what LGBT is. If you told a 9 year old he can marry a boy or girl, he would go crazy and want to marry his BEST GUY/GIRL FRIEND at the time without understanding what LGBT really is.
Keeping children "innocent" is THE PARENTS' job. all of these things like not selling more violent video games to kids under 17 is messed up. It isn't the company's, the government's etc's job. Parents need to do this themselves. If someone can't watch their own child enough to keep them from looking at things they don't want them to look at, then they shouldn't be parents.

Last edited by kimvia; April 14th 2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: clairity

(#20 (permalink)) Old
A Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Amazon.com - April 14th 2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus View Post
Guy's they are not removing the items from marketplace, what they are doing is pulling them from the best sellers listings. Why? Because there are a lot of parents that are very conservative and don't want their children looking at those books or reviews or titles.

Simple way for them to fix this is to add a filter adult content option in the profile which will hide or display them depending on your choice.

Yeah, I'm in favour of banning two men or two women from holding hands in public so children won't miraculously decide that it is more feasible to marry their best male/female friend. In fact, why don't we just get rid of homosexuality altogether? It's not as if children will realise they're different to their peers in terms of attraction if they never see it - t's not naturally occurring or anything. Where will they learn about it if LGBT literature is subject to censorship because it is "adult"? It's perfectly fine to explain to a child that two men and two women might want to be together, not explaining it, or making it seem bad, is undesirable.

What do mean by the "extent" of what LGBT is? Do you think that censoring all romance, heterosexual or homosexual, until the child is x-years-old is also sensible so the child won't decide to "marry" their peers of the opposite/same sex? Additionally, so what if a child decides to "marry" their same sex friend? It's innocent, and if it was my child I wouldn't mind at all.

Lastly, I think conservative attitudes to LGBT should be fought against and stigmatised because they're unhealthy and bad for children. People who would get upset about their child misunderstanding LGBT and pretending to marry their same sex friends are complete morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvia View Post
Keeping children innocent is THE PARENTS' job. all of these things like not selling more violent video games to kids under 17 is messed up. It isn't the company's, the government's etc's job. Parents need to do this themselves. If someone can't watch their own child enough to keep them from looking at things they don't want them to look at, then they shouldn't be parents.
Telling a child about LGBT people isn't making them lose innocence, though. It's normal and desirable to be tolerant of LGBT people, to not be can cause social exclusion in many circles of young people.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Amazon.com - April 14th 2009, 04:14 PM

As far as I am aware this has not happened outside the US and certainly not in the more liberal UK.

It seems it's because Americans are more conservative than a lot of countries and you need to blame them, not amazon. Like any company amazon is reacting to public will

(#22 (permalink)) Old
fallen fairy Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fairy

Re: Amazon.com - April 14th 2009, 04:20 PM

just to back up hyper sonic, this is amazon.com not amazon.co.uk, they are really rather different....so that being said i have nothing against using amazon.co.uk but will think twice about .com

(#23 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Amazon.com - April 14th 2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A View Post
Telling a child about LGBT people isn't making them lose innocence, though. It's normal and desirable to be tolerant of LGBT people, to not be can cause social exclusion in many circles of young people.
oops, i didn't mean it like that.... *goes and adds quotation marks around "innocent"*

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Christopher1 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Amazon.com - April 15th 2009, 04:54 AM

No i dont shop in that site many of my friends shop and said me not to shop over there,,,,,

(#25 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Amazon.com - April 15th 2009, 05:15 AM

Wait, I'm not sure whats going on (my school-issued laptop blocked the article for some reason) could someone summarize for me?

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Care-o-Bear Offline
I <3 him! :)
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Caroline

Re: Amazon.com - April 15th 2009, 05:50 AM

Oh I know! One of my bf's good friends is a lesbian and she was talking about this at lunch today. It makes me so mad that they could do this! I'd join your facebook group if I wasn't keeping my TH and facebook identities separate.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Clover Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Amazon.com - April 15th 2009, 09:58 AM

"Amazon has released a statement of apology stating that it was an "embarrassing and ham-fisted cataloging error" that pertained to 57,310 listings. They also say that It has been misreported that the issue was limited to Gay & Lesbian themed titles. So it's over. Amazon admits they goofed, and I, for one, shall give them the benefit of the doubt and say I do not believe that there was any malicious intent. Case closed."

From the blog link. So there, it's done. Though I'm doubtful that they were entirely truthful, the big corporation has once again managed to gloss over it. I wish I had a PR department that could make it all better when I f*** up...

“It’s better to lose some of the battles in the struggle for your dreams than to be defeated without ever even knowing what you’re fighting for.” ~Paulo Coelho

わすれないでひとりじゃないよ。

(#28 (permalink)) Old
romanemul Offline
RMi
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Roman

Re: Amazon.com - April 15th 2009, 10:38 AM

maybe again one of the conservative parents have some trouble with that.

Independency at first.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Amazon.com - April 16th 2009, 05:34 AM

Only in America. I might just start using the .ca and .co.uk ones instead. What confuses me is that I can get a Pro-Ana book off the best sellers list, but not a gay romance? I'd rather my kids read the gay romance in all honest.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Guess who!
Average Joe

Name: Deedlit

Re: Amazon.com - April 16th 2009, 09:41 PM

I doubt many 8 year old children are shopping on amazon using their credit and debit cards. It's not like they are advertising gay porn on runescape or bubblegum club.

They probably shouldn't have removed the listings. But the fact that they did doesn't mean they have a problem with gay porn.

I may have totally misunderstood this, but I don't think it really matters.. They haven't removed the items, and they are back now.

And refusing to shop there is really your own loss.

And for the record, I am most probably bi myself, and have no problem with homosexuals or lesbians.

But if you feel like I'm missing the point feel free to correct me.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Amazon.com - April 16th 2009, 09:44 PM

Of course the more cynical among us could see this as an attempt to get publicity

(#32 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Amazon.com - April 16th 2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Of course the more cynical among us could see this as an attempt to get publicity
Agreed.

I bet the big shots at Amazon simply wanted people to make a big fuss about how evil and cruel they are.

Does it really matter what one website says about homosexuality, anyways? Not really.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Amazon.com - April 16th 2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Amazon has released a statement of apology stating that it was an "embarrassing and ham-fisted cataloging error" that pertained to 57,310 listings. They also say that It has been misreported that the issue was limited to Gay & Lesbian themed titles. So it's over. Amazon admits they goofed, and I, for one, shall give them the benefit of the doubt and say I do not believe that there was any malicious intent. Case closed.
That's at the bottom of that post. =) Which, while I'm not sure what to believe, it's good it's been sorted out.

I really hate when people prejudice against "gay" things in general.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Amazon.com - April 17th 2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
I don't see how it could possibly work like that despite being one of the more cynical people here. Despite the famous saying, not all publicity is good publicity. This has caused people to boycott Amazon. They haven't made any gains out of it: they're already a globally recognised brand, so they don't need the publicity to spread the word about their business.

No, I suspect that they decided to pander to the Christian pressure groups and then reversed the decision when they found that it did more harm than good.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Amazon.com - April 17th 2009, 09:12 PM

I read on Fark a little while ago that some assbag got him and a bunch of buddies to go around and 1-star or thumbs down all the GLBT books.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
Closed Thread