TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

New York's new Gun Laws - January 18th 2013, 09:04 AM

Source: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...ge-it-in-court

-- As in other threads. The New York government has passed its newest gun law, since the CT Massacre.

Called the New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act.

I haven't really heard "what" the Act is banning except for the "high capacity magazines" and what the Government considers "Assault Rifles".

I really don't get how the Government thinks by saying "You can only have 7 round magazines" instead of 10 fixes anything. Except for the fact there are some Firearms out there that don't come in 7 round magazines. Most AR type platform rifles come with 10 round mags. So Gun shops can't sell them with Magazines. I'm trying to figure out if this implies Service pistols for LEOs, COs, Military members as well. My Colt 1911 .45 Pistol has a 7 round mag. My Law Enforcement issued Glock .40 Cal uses 15-round magazines.

There is a lot of rumors going around that the biggest factory that helps Central New York's Economy will be able to stay in New York. Remington Arms Co., brings in over $1 million into the Central New York area. Hiring about 1,200 people at this time. If the plant has to move, 1,200 people (near my hometown, so this effects MY home.) Are now without jobs, I understand that something needs to be done, we need to get Guns out of the reach of Criminals and Mentally ill people. But this new Law does nothing. Its like they're just trying to fix a severed limb with duct tape instead of going to the E.R. to get it fixed.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - January 18th 2013, 12:33 PM

I don't think taking guns away from people is going to solve anything. People will find a way to get them, it's never really been terribly hard legally or not.
Take here for example, it's easy to get a gun and it's easy to manipulate the rules to allow you to carry it in your vehicle at all times. However, we have nowhere near the amount of gun related crimes your country has. I believe the reason for this is because mental healthcare is readily available to anyone. I'm not just referring to people with mental illness but also people who are going through periods of stress or desperation. There are services here that are extremely easy to access (in fact they're all just one phone call away).

Making guns harder to get or restricting them isn't going to solve anything. If they're not using guns it'll be something else.

Oh and as a note (not sure if it will be the same where you live) service members and law enforcement are exempt to the gun regulations only regarding issued firearms. However, it's not terribly enforced here (we're not even required to register our rifles so...yeah).

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JohnCoop Offline
Average Joe

Name: John W. Cooper

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - January 18th 2013, 12:57 PM

I think it's an absolutely hideous law. I mean do they really expect criminals to look at the law and say "Oh shoot! I can only carry seven rounds in my pistol now....guess I shouldn't call up my criminal buddies and buy those 15-round magazines...". No, the only people Gov. Cuomo, Mayor Bloomberg and his band of gun grabbing idiots are affecting are the law abiding citizenry of New York. It's sickening to tell people they can only have seven rounds to protect their family with in stead of ten or 15 or whatever the pistol was designed for. I dunno, apparently I'm one of those 'gun-crazies' that Obama wants to make into criminal so maybe I see exercising my rights differently than those who wish to take them away.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - January 18th 2013, 02:02 PM

How will lowering the ammunition solve anything? I assume that, if they own guns then they know how to aim so ammo shouldn't be a problem! Not that they care about the law anyway...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - January 19th 2013, 03:31 PM

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - January 19th 2013, 07:00 PM

I think it's absolutely stupid. Lowering the amount of ammunition that someone can have in a magazine isn't going to stop anything (and neither would banning guns altogether, in my opinion). Criminals will find away to get their hands on them on way or another. And if they can't, they'll just use knives or bats or frying pans to kill people instead. Nothing is going to keep people from killing people.

Honestly, I think the best thing we can do is to stop fucking sensationalizing shit like this. Get help to the people that need it and do what we can to keep dangerous things out of their hands. As it is now, we are almost glorifying them by giving them so much exposure and attention. It's sickening. It's a big, sad, sensationalist circus. No one really cares. They don't care about the thousands of other kids that die in much more horrible ways every single day. This is all just a big show by the media. Give people some feels, get them a bit outraged, pass some laws to make the politicians look like they're doing something, and then move on to the next big story and forget all about this.

~Cody

Normal User

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - January 29th 2013, 05:43 PM

Thank god I live in Arizona where our gun laws can fit onto an 8.5x11 page (printer paper for you metrics). There's very little crime here, excluding cartel violence, but that's more the result of our location on the border, and vast amounts of firearms. I turned eighteen and was able to walk into a sporting goods store and buy a soviet-assault rifle. I sold a semi-automatic handgun in the parking lot of a Best Buy (electronics store, and entirely legal in Arizona).

The key to solving massacres is a better mental health system, guns are simply a chosen tool.

The key to solving your every day violent crime is three-fold, harsher punishment, more funding for public attorneys (without funding lots of people get off with very reduce sentences because they can't justify spe ding their limited budget on a smaller case), and less gun laws. I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, but violating my rights is not the way to go.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - January 29th 2013, 05:43 PM

Thank god I live in Arizona where our gun laws can fit onto an 8.5x11 page (printer paper for you metrics). There's very little crime here, excluding cartel violence, but that's more the result of our location on the border, and vast amounts of firearms. I turned eighteen and was able to walk into a sporting goods store and buy a soviet-assault rifle. I sold a semi-automatic handgun in the parking lot of a Best Buy (electronics store, and entirely legal in Arizona).

The key to solving massacres is a better mental health system, guns are simply a chosen tool.

The key to solving your every day violent crime is three-fold, harsher punishment, more funding for public attorneys (without funding lots of people get off with very reduce sentences because they can't justify spe ding their limited budget on a smaller case), and less gun laws. I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, but violating my rights is not the way to go.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - February 8th 2013, 04:19 PM

All of the points I wanted to bring up were touched upon in the previous posts. Honestly, how many anti-gun advocates have ever even held a gun in their life? Making it harder to get guns is only making it harder for law abiding citizens to be protected.

Okay, yes, I'd be willing to wait a half hour to get ammo for the 9mm I use. Okay, I guess I'll take a 7 round over a 10 round and just reload more at the range. But guns are tools. People are weapons.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - February 8th 2013, 04:19 PM

All of the points I wanted to bring up were touched upon in the previous posts. Honestly, how many anti-gun advocates have ever even held a gun in their life? Making it harder to get guns is only making it harder for law abiding citizens to be protected.

Okay, yes, I'd be willing to wait a half hour to get ammo for the 9mm I use. Okay, I guess I'll take a 7 round over a 10 round and just reload more at the range. But guns are tools. People are weapons.

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#11 (permalink)) Old
JohnCoop Offline
Average Joe

Name: John W. Cooper

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - February 8th 2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenitySmile View Post

Kat, these are the same people who consider a pistol grip a 'military like' feature and a weapon that holds ten rounds or more to be 'only suitable for military purposes'. They don't know a damn thing about guns and that is the reason why they are so ignorant in the making of these draconian and unconstitutional laws.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
J-man Offline
Not a n00b

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - February 9th 2013, 02:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPA6C6YG4VQ

In ten years, gun laws restricting high cap mags will be obsolete. If gangs can produce crystal meth, they can make these.

3d printers can be assembled, with a bit of knowledge, for less than $200.

Citalopram prescribed since Jan 2011. Moved on to Sertraline October 2012. Currently on 100mg.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - February 9th 2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-man View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPA6C6YG4VQ

In ten years, gun laws restricting high cap mags will be obsolete. If gangs can produce crystal meth, they can make these.

3d printers can be assembled, with a bit of knowledge, for less than $200.
Exactly. When the government makes something illegal, that doesn't make it disappear. It just creates a black market, often riddled with *more* violence that only criminals have access to. My hometown had a voluntary gun bayback. Now, yes, it's voluntary, but when in the hell was the last time I heard a criminal voluntarily turn in their guns?

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: New York's new Gun Laws - February 10th 2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post

My God. I never thought I'd see the day where I had so much agreement with a post from Guile.

So many of the recent tragedies and massacres could have been averted with a combination of preventative mental health screenings and common sense. The perpetrators in the Aurora and Newtown incidents were both mentally ill, and had easy access to guns nonetheless.

Ammunition limits, restrictions or outright criminalization of owning certain firearms and reducing magazine sizes will do nothing. As liberal as I am, I scoff at Obama's proposals in those areas. However, I fully support background checks and mental health evaluations. And while it's very difficult to enforce, a little common sense would go a long way for current gun owners. Lock your weapons and ammunition in separate places, out of reach of children and anyone who lives in or visits the house who could be considered dangerous or untrustworthy with the weapons. If there is someone with a suspected or confirmed mental illness in the house, use some goddam common sense!

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
Closed Thread