TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 18th 2009, 05:15 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...isation-report

Quote:
The regulated legalisation of drugs would have major benefits for taxpayers, victims of crime, local communities and the criminal justice system, according to the first comprehensive comparison between the cost-effectiveness of legalisation and prohibition. The authors of the report, which is due to be published today, suggest that a legalised, regulated market could save the country around £14bn.

For many years the government has been under pressure to conduct an objective cost-benefit analysis of the current drugs policy, but has failed to do so despite calls from MPs. Now the drugs reform charity, Transform, has commissioned its own report, examining all aspects of prohibition from the costs of policing and investigating drugs users and dealers to processing them through the courts and their eventual incarceration.
As well as such savings is the likely taxation revenue in a regulated market. However, there are also the potential costs of increased drug treatment, education and public information campaigns about the risks and dangers of drugs, similar to those for tobacco and alcohol, and the costs of running a regulated system.

The report looked at four potential scenarios, ranging from no increase in drugs use to a 100% rise as they become more readily available.
"The conclusion is that regulating the drugs market is a dramatically more cost-effective policy than prohibition and that moving from prohibition to regulated drugs markets in England and Wales would provide a net saving to taxpayers, victims of crime, communities, the criminal justice system and drug users of somewhere within the range of, for the four scenarios, £13.9bn, £10.8bn, £7.7bn, £4.6bn."

Titled a Comparison of the Cost-effectiveness of the Prohibition and Regulation of Drugs, the report uses government figures on the costs of crime to assess the potential benefits and disadvantages of change. The document, co-written by Steve Rolles, head of research at Transform, uses home office and No 10 strategy unit reports to form its conclusions.
It finds: "The government specifically claims the benefits of any move away from prohibition towards legal regulation would be outweighed by the costs. No such cost-benefit analysis, or even a proper impact assessment of existing enforcement policy and legislation has ever been carried out here or anywhere else in the world."

Taxing drugs would also provide big revenue gains, says the survey. An Independent Drug Monitoring Unit estimate, quoted in the report, suggests up to £1.3bn could be generated by a £1 per gram tax on cannabis resin and £2 per gram on skunk.

The report follows calls for legalisation or a full debate on reform. Last month, the Economist concluded: "Prohibition has failed; legalisation is the least bad solution."
Discuss.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 18th 2009, 05:28 PM

Going by the fact that Amsterdam hasn't imploded onto itself, we should just go right ahead.

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 18th 2009, 09:59 PM

It'll won't be ignored by the government, but it won't be acted on either. They'll pander to the right-wing noise machine (Daily Mail et al) by condemning it and talking tough on drugs and the causes of drugs. The tabloids will be outraged, and pandering to tabloids is how you win elections in Britain. Not that Labour has a hope of winning the next general election, but any move towards legalising drugs would be suicidal for them. It would also be totally inconsistent with previous policies: this is the same bunch who reclassified cannabis back to Class B even though it's less harmful than the tobacco you roll it with, and acted outraged when their drugs adviser proved that taking ecstasy is less dangerous than riding a horse.

I'd love to see drugs legalised (even though I don't use anything except alcohol and caffeine, and alcohol only rarely), but no government would dare make the attempt despite the benefits of such a move.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 19th 2009, 03:07 AM

And if it was legalised, it would possibly be easier to help people who are addicted to come off the drugs as they would be able to get professional help without fear of prosecution.

But does this cover all drugs, or just specific drugs?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 21st 2009, 12:55 AM

Bouncing off of what Adz says--there would be more benefits to this than just the money factor. Less people would die from laced drugs, for one.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 21st 2009, 01:56 AM

I think it's a good idea. So many drug deaths are from 'mixed' substances, and if they were marketed that wouldn't happen. And on the money side ... the money generated from tobacco / cigarette taxes is around three times as much as it costs to treat related illnesses on the NHS [nice little politics fact I picked up], so for drugs this would surely be similar.
But being a bit unfavourable of our current government I think it will go on their list of things that 'we will do after the next election', so they don't have to do anything.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 21st 2009, 02:03 AM

This is a good idea.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 21st 2009, 06:55 PM

However if drugs were legalized there would probably be a lot more people hooked on it since there would be no fear of prosecution for usage. Then it really would grow into an enourmous industry rivaling tabacco and alcohol.

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 21st 2009, 07:14 PM

It really does depend what drugs it is. If it's cannabis then that's pretty okay with me, but if it was some of the harder things then I wouldn't be so sure.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 21st 2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxers rock View Post
However if drugs were legalized there would probably be a lot more people hooked on it since there would be no fear of prosecution for usage. Then it really would grow into an enourmous industry rivaling tabacco and alcohol.
Which they've factored into the study. Even if drug use doubles, we still save £4.6bn per year.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
asphyxiated Offline
Next stop: Land of Sueños
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Legalisation of drugs could save UK £14bn, says study - April 23rd 2009, 12:18 AM

Drugs should be treated the same way as alcohol:
Have a higher tax on it, and only sell it to people over 21.
a little weed never killed anyone.

Closed Thread