TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 27th 2009, 04:49 PM

link

Dare to fall into a black hole and you would get vaporized in what is probably the most violent place in the universe. But the journey would yield some amazing sights, though you might need three eyes for the best view of what's going on, new research suggests.

Humans have only gotten close to black holes in sci-fi books and movies.
In fact, astronomers can't even see black holes directly, though there is strong evidence millions of them exist in our galaxy alone.
Scientists can try to simulate a trip inside with the help of equations in Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity, which make predictions about black hole behavior, said Andrew Hamilton, a professor of astrophysics at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
"Black holes are some of the simplest things in the universe. We think of them as being complicated things because they're described by complicated mathematics," Hamilton said.
"But as a practical matter, they are, in fact, much simpler than the sun, far simpler than stars and infinitely simpler than human beings."
Hamilton and Gavin Polhemus, a physics teacher in Fort Collins, Colorado, set out to visualize what an "infaller" might see if he or she were swallowed by the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way. The results are described in a recent paper and shown in a simulation that took more than 100,000 lines of computer code to create. Watch what you might see inside a black hole Ľ

Black holes form when massive stars run out of nuclear fuel, collapse and become so compressed and dense that not even light can escape their gravitational pull.
Hamilton also described them as places where space is falling faster than light.
"I think of a black hole as rather like a waterfall, except it's not a fall of water but rather a fall of space," he said. "Even light itself, which is struggling to get out, pointed away from the black hole, will find itself dragged inward, like doing a Michael Jackson moonwalk."
Falling in
To be sucked in by a black hole, you need to reach its event horizon, the one-way boundary beyond which nothing can escape. The more massive a black hole, the bigger this point of no return around it, said Jeff McClintock, a senior astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.
The most common black holes, which weigh on average 10 times as much as the sun, have boundaries 40 miles across. But most galaxies also have supermassive black holes at their centers, which weigh millions of suns and would have boundaries that stretch millions of miles. Blog: What is a white hole?
Approaching the horizon, you would notice nothing special, but someone observing you from the outside would see you freeze in place and become a lot dimmer because light that you emit at the boundary takes a long time to get out, Hamilton said.
Many people think you would be engulfed in darkness when you fall in, but that is a common misconception, Hamilton points out. The view of the outside universe would become distorted, but would not disappear.
Once you pass the horizon -- or go over Niagara Falls, in the waterfall analogy -- you would be falling faster than the speed of light toward the black hole's center -- called a singularity -- and feeling the effects, Hamilton said.
"The gravity at your feet is stronger than the gravity at your head, as long as you fall in feet first. ... You feel this difference in gravity between your feet and your head as a tidal force, which pulls you apart vertically in a process called 'spaghettification,' " Hamilton writes on his Web site.
"At the same time as you are pulled apart vertically, you are crushed in the horizontal direction, like a rubber band being pulled. So if you would like to be taller and thinner, then one way to achieve that is to fall into a black hole."
Strange sights
The same force ripping you apart would also concentrate the view of the universe into a thin band around your waist. It would cause the scene above and below you to appear redshifted, or dimmer, and the light around your waist to become blueshifted, or very bright, Hamilton said.
You may also regret that you only have two eyes. In a strange twist, Hamilton and Polhemus argue that three eyes would be needed to properly judge distances inside a black hole, where space-time is highly curved and our binocular vision would become confused.
Even a third eye wouldn't help you see the black hole's center, however, because all light is headed toward the singularity and none away from it, Hamilton writes on his Web site.
"What you see is the outside universe appear to be squashed down into a thin plane, dark above and dark below, bright in this very thin plane," Hamilton said. "In [the singularity], the curvature of space-time goes to infinity, the tidal forces go to infinity, everything gets ripped apart and space and time as we know them come to an end."
It's fun to imagine what might happen in a black hole, but people should remember that any journey inside the event horizon is based on pure theory, McClintock said.
Anyone worried about Earth being swallowed by a black hole should also be relieved to know the closest one astronomers know about is 3,000 light years away, which McClintock called a "super, super, super safe" distance. He added that we wouldn't be sucked in even if the sun, which is only 8 light minutes away from Earth, were suddenly replaced by a black hole of the same mass.

"All the planets would keep going around just the same. ... Nothing would change except there wouldn't be any light and heat," McClintock said.
"There would be no attempt by the black hole to suck us in any more than the sun sucks us in. It's only when you get really, really close that all the bizarre things happen."

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 27th 2009, 06:20 PM

I find it amazing that such a thing exists, a part of the universe that can destroy anything.
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 28th 2009, 01:21 AM

Well that's cool. Ha

Seeing how we aren't sure what a black hole actually is inside, it'd be hard to simulate it.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 28th 2009, 01:22 AM

Cool, yet pointless.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 28th 2009, 01:49 AM

That video mind fucked me real hard. Cool.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 28th 2009, 05:58 AM

I think that's amazingly cool. Always amused by what we can't see with our own two eyes.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 28th 2009, 06:07 AM

I find it quite fascinating but I wonder, what is the usefulness of researching how it might be inside a black hole? Obviously, if we get in one or possibly around it, we're done for. We cant prevent the formation of one, so I don't see the usefulness in researching it, other than it's very fascinating.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 28th 2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
I find it quite fascinating but I wonder, what is the usefulness of researching how it might be inside a black hole? Obviously, if we get in one or possibly around it, we're done for. We cant prevent the formation of one, so I don't see the usefulness in researching it, other than it's very fascinating.
I think that can apply to any aspect of astrophysics. I don't understand why we throw away so much money on stuff like black holes and the Big Bang theory. I just can't see how either of those will benefit us in the long run.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 28th 2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
I think that can apply to any aspect of astrophysics. I don't understand why we throw away so much money on stuff like black holes and the Big Bang theory. I just can't see how either of those will benefit us in the long run.
The Big Bang I can kinda get. If they do find out about this Higgs-Boson Particle, I'm told (although I could be wrong, most of it went over my head.) it could have lots of impact on technology.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 28th 2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
They didn't find a cure for cancer important enough to research anymore? Jk jk.

I actually think it's good to know what's around you. Just as you should be aware of your everyday surroundings, the earth should be aware of it's surroundings so to speak.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 29th 2009, 12:52 AM

I couldn't even watch that. It made my head spin. It's cool, but I can think of more important things that we could be studying.

--A

(#12 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - April 29th 2009, 07:05 AM

In a Black hole all matter of Time is ripped apart, the laws of Physics do not apply in a black hole, not even light can escape the gravitational pull. A black hole is formed when a star dies and is over a certain Mass then it will begin to collapse in on itself over and over, thus creating the Black hole.

No on has ever experianced being dragged into a black hole and no one could survive the pull, even if they did then getting out would be impossible due to the imense forces around you.
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Doyce(D.J.)

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - May 1st 2009, 02:29 AM

this stuff is so amazing.
to think this stuff actually goes on way out there.
love it

a strong man stands up for himself
a stronger man stands up for others
  Send a message via AIM to Disturbedrox2011  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - May 3rd 2009, 01:08 AM

this is so cool.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - May 3rd 2009, 01:19 AM

Black holes are very interesting.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - May 3rd 2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Well that's cool. Ha

Seeing how we aren't sure what a black hole actually is inside, it'd be hard to simulate it.

I think the same, I didn't read it all, but I found it hard to imagine what a black hold would be like.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Astronomers take virtual plunge into black hole - May 3rd 2009, 02:21 AM

Probably the finger of God.

Closed Thread