TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 03:23 PM

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...7&in_page_id=2
Quote:
Tara Weston went crackers when the cuddly parrot she bought for her five-year-old uttered a string of obscenities. Horrified Tara, 32, listened in disbelief as the 99p fluffy toy blurted out a barrage of vile insults when daughter Demi pulled the cord. "We chose the parrot in the toy section, so I expected it to be completely child-friendly," said Tara. * But instead of repeating: "What's yer name?" or "Polly wants a cracker", the foul-mouthed bird squawked: "I'm going to rip you head off and s*** down your neck." The parrot finished its torrent of abuse by yelling "b****r off" and "up your bum". Fuming Tara, from Holloway, north London, marched back to her nearby The 99p Store to demand bosses remove the swearing parrot from its shelves. "I was shocked with the lack of response I received," she said. "Really, it's disgusting. "The manager told me it had been a mistake and shouldn't have been in the children's section. "I insisted they give me the number for head office so I could make an official complaint." She added: "My sister went back to the shop later and the parrots still hadn't been removed. What if another child had been bought one? "Five-year-olds shouldn't be hearing swear words like that." The angry mum contacted Trading Standards officials and was told several complaints had been made by parents around the country. A spokeswoman for Islington trading standards officers said: "We will be contacting the store to suggest the item is moved into another area, as it's clearly not suitable to be on sale in the children's section." Nigel Peckham, director of The 99p Store, a nationwide chain, said the product was designed for adults and was clearly labelled as not suitable for children. "We encourage all our customers to reach us through our customer services department," he said. "I'll be very happy to deal with a complaint when it arrives."
lol wow.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 04:04 PM

Haha, so odd.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
VanishingActs Offline
~kiss it better~
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 04:07 PM

Haha that made me giggle

In all seriousness though the lady was right to complain as she did.

Live on love.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 04:16 PM

I want one.Lol.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
msbunnykins Offline
Obsessive cat owner.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 04:35 PM

Hahaha, that is horrible! Poor little girl! But still pretty funny.... oh man, I would be mad too, though.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
InTheFlood Offline
Walking In The Sun...
I've been here a while

Name: Amelia

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I want one.Lol.
Me to! where is this shop?

She was right to complain, though not really good for a 5 year old.
But bring it on for the immature 16 and above!!

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║▌║
ORIGINAL MCFLY FAN ģ

"Another year over, and we're still together.
It's not always easy, but McFly's here forever
I know you believe me, when you look into my eyes
'Cause McFly never dies, because The Heart Never Lies!"

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 05:51 PM

Lmao, that's a Duke Nukem quote...see, here's what I think happened. You can get toy parrots that can have things recorded, and normally one or two are left on as a demonstration for customers. Some legendary customer must have recorded said duke nukem quotes into it and the mother must have flipped and decided to blame the store....

Call me crude, but things like this...I think it's hilarious...xD

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I want one.Lol.
Lol, same here.

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver
  Send a message via AIM to Dasha Send a message via Yahoo to Dasha Send a message via Skype™ to Dasha 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Anna Skye Offline
live and let love...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 06:10 PM

I'm sorry, I'm such a naive little American girl, but what does "b***r" stand for?!

peace and love

If you read this signature,
know that someone cares about you.
You are not alone.

<3 Contact me

last cut: 4 august 2010
last purge: 13 march 2010

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 06:14 PM

Oh, that's priceless. I want one like that, too.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisarunway View Post
I'm sorry, I'm such a naive little American girl, but what does "b***r" stand for?!

peace and love
I didn't know at first but I think it's probably bugger off as that's all that seems to fit. It's funny that the parrot says that but she has every right to complain because they have obviously put it in the wrong section, you'd think they'd know what it did before they decided to shelf it.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 06:55 PM

Haha, This is actually quite amusing ><

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 07:59 PM

Ahh...Duke Nucem is awesome.

I used to have a parrot similar to that....Haha, good memories.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 08:12 PM

I'd piss myself laughing aha.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Jake Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jake

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 08:18 PM

I just burst out laughing xD

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 08:27 PM

Honestly, parents like that bother me. She's raising a huge fuss and pointing fingers over a foul-mouthed parrot, and yet seemingly ambivalent to the fact that her daughter will be hearing the exact same things on television and at school. Obvious ridiculousness aside, it shouldn't even be a big deal. So the kid knows another couple synonyms for the word feces, how is that going to drastically damage their growth?

It boggles my mind how a parent will flip their lid if their kid stubs his toe and yells "fuck", and yet if two kids start calling each other names and get into a fight, that's just "oh well, boys will be boys," or some take on that. Are you seriously less concerned by your child attacking another than the specifics of their vocabulary? To me, that's just insane. I curse like a sailor with most of my friends, not because I'm going out of my way to be rude or shocking, just because I don't see any harm in it. Racial slurs I totally get, they're awful, but things like shit and ass? What's the difference between them and saying poop and bum? Nothing but the number of parents who raise a fuss about them.

</end rant>

Carry on.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Katieeee Offline
that's what she said.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 08:45 PM

Was anyone else forcibly reminded of this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEQkz1AL4Y

You gotta spend some time love
You gotta spend some time with me
And I know that you'll find love
I will possess your heart

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieeee View Post
Was anyone else forcibly reminded of this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEQkz1AL4Y

Lol, that's the first time I heard that. Nice. xD

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver
  Send a message via AIM to Dasha Send a message via Yahoo to Dasha Send a message via Skype™ to Dasha 
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
Honestly, parents like that bother me. She's raising a huge fuss and pointing fingers over a foul-mouthed parrot, and yet seemingly ambivalent to the fact that her daughter will be hearing the exact same things on television and at school. Obvious ridiculousness aside, it shouldn't even be a big deal. So the kid knows another couple synonyms for the word feces, how is that going to drastically damage their growth?

It boggles my mind how a parent will flip their lid if their kid stubs his toe and yells "fuck", and yet if two kids start calling each other names and get into a fight, that's just "oh well, boys will be boys," or some take on that. Are you seriously less concerned by your child attacking another than the specifics of their vocabulary? To me, that's just insane. I curse like a sailor with most of my friends, not because I'm going out of my way to be rude or shocking, just because I don't see any harm in it. Racial slurs I totally get, they're awful, but things like shit and ass? What's the difference between them and saying poop and bum? Nothing but the number of parents who raise a fuss about them.

</end rant>

Carry on.
whaaaat...? ..so would buy that toy for your child? Yeah okay kids hear stuff at school and will eventually come into contact with stuff like that but that doesn't mean we should shove it down childrens necks as early as possible so they can experience. They certainly don't need that experience via a toy lol. As if it's suitable for a child to listen to a parrot swear and be rude. What does that teach a child..it reinforces it completely. Mum has chosen it therefore it must be okay is surely the message it sends out. Even if Mum says it's bad it's a completely weird and contradictory message. A swearing parrot is just not what you want for a child. It's largely inappropriate.

So you think that just because we enforce rules that are seemingly things generations have made you think they're stupid? So you'd be okay with your five year old frequently using the word shit and ass and fuck? That's like that silly argument about paedophiles-so what if some grown men want to have sex with children who are 13..14? Where's the harm? We just made a rule but what is it based on...based on someone saying that 'having sex with children is wrong'...

There need to be rules somewhere and okay a lot of rules are to do with society itself but to imply that the childs mother was making a fuss out of nothing is a bit ridiculous in itself.

My head is so noisy sometimes.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 10:56 PM

If I were in her shoes, I'd laugh, either return the toy or keep it as a joke, get my daughter a new toy parrot, and helpfully point out to one of the store managers that they had a toy in the wrong age section. That's it. I wouldn't want that young a kid keeping a toy like that, but only because they're not old enough to recognize that they'll get in trouble from other adults even if mum and dad don't mind. I certainly wouldn't flip my lid so badly over a funny toy.

I don't think a rule is stupid just because it's tradition, so to speak, I think a rule is stupid if there's no good reason for it to exist other than because of its tradition. Personally, I'd be fine with my kids swearing around me. They're just words. If they were actually using those words to hurt someone, I'd be worried, but that would be just as true if the words were "idiot" and "pansy" rather than "shit" and "ass". That said, I recognize that very few adults agree with me, and as such I'd try to keep my kids from swearing until they're old enough to understand that it's not a good idea in many social situations, but at the same time I'd also hope to teach them that the intent behind what you say is much more important than the words you use. Just because you use 'nice words' to put somebody down doesn't make it any better than cursing at them.

And regarding your pedophile analogy; there're oodles of sound reasons that sexual relations between a child/teenager and an adult are harmful, even if it's consensual at the time. What reasons are there for shit being so much more more offensive than poop, crap, dung, feces, or fecal matter? Rules and morality are built around preventing harm. Pedophilia is very harmful, I doubt many people argue that. Casual swearing though, I really don't see the harm.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.

Last edited by Xujhan; May 4th 2009 at 11:01 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 4th 2009, 10:57 PM

It's basically about teaching your kid to be polite. I would be appauled if my child was running around telling people to f*ck off or something of that sort. Really, have some class, teach your children some class.

I think this is hilarious though. And I'd too be complaining if I was the parent in this situation. There is a reason movies with excessive swearing are labeled PG-13 or R.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 5th 2009, 12:56 AM

I'd be upset if I was the parent. However, I can laugh at this story.

--A

(#23 (permalink)) Old
rizz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rhiannon

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 5th 2009, 01:09 AM

lmfao....i cant stop loughting...i want one but i can understand where the parents are coming from thought...if i had kids i wouldnt want them near that laungage

Luv those who cannot luv themselves
Giv a hug to a friend
Luv those who luv u bak
Blow a kiss times ten
Luv is everywhere u look
Around every corner

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 5th 2009, 01:18 AM

I like this story better then Allah is the light lol.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Mandylion Offline
Not a n00b

Name: amanda/mandy

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 5th 2009, 04:21 AM

i think its suppose to be a gag gift

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Care-o-Bear Offline
I <3 him! :)
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Caroline

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 5th 2009, 04:28 AM

That's funny, but I do feel bad for the mom having to deal with that and try to explain to her daughter and stuff. But it's still funny

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 5th 2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy&rai View Post
i think its suppose to be a gag gift
Yes it is, in the article it states that the woman was upset because it was in the children's toy section. That's why they were upset. You wouldn't buy your 7 year old daughter a "gag gift" such as that, you know? (Or at least most people wouldn't)

-Robert Frost

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 6th 2009, 01:23 AM

I didn't realise that "bugger off" was a swearword.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 6th 2009, 01:25 AM

As a newspaper type thing, it's not appropriate to say. Some people are offended. And if you read the article, the bird said more than Bugger off.

-Robert Frost

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 6th 2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
As a newspaper type thing, it's not appropriate to say. Some people are offended. And if you read the article, the bird said more than Bugger off.
Oh, yeah, I know, but I just didn't know that saying bugger off was... Hahaha, well, actually, I suppose someone would be offended, after all, you do say it to cause offense...but I wasn't aware it was actually bleeped.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Toy parrot tells girl, 5, to b****r off. - May 6th 2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Nigel Peckham, director of The 99p Store, a nationwide chain, said the product was designed for adults and was clearly labelled as not suitable for children
Well, I guess the mother just assumed if it's in the toy section, then it must be child-friendly, right...right..right? Wrong.

Moral of the story: Don't blindly assume, read it before you buy it.

Closed Thread