TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rizz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rhiannon

Exclamation Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 12:29 AM

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...rom=public_rss

this makes me angrey...im an aussie n 2 see ppl making fun of us...then they really dont know australia n these NZ comics must b jelous of us if they have 2 resurt to this

Luv those who cannot luv themselves
Giv a hug to a friend
Luv those who luv u bak
Blow a kiss times ten
Luv is everywhere u look
Around every corner

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jake Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jake

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 12:37 AM

They get mistaken for aussies all the time and it's just comedy, they aren't setting out to insult anybody.

Sure some of their use of the stereotypes are pretty raw, but it's for comedic purposes.
People need to learn to loosen up and be able to laugh at themselves.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
rizz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 12:42 AM

i believe though that sum comics are starting 2 take it too far

Giv a hug to a friend
Luv those who luv u bak
Blow a kiss times ten
Luv is everywhere u look
Around every corner

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jake Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jake

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 12:45 AM

Well I'm Irish and Irelands constantly been the target for stereotype styled jokes and comedy. Leprechauns, Guinness, drunks and potatoes. But whatever, i think it's funny :\

I suppose it's more of an opinion thing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizz View Post
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...rom=public_rss

this makes me angrey...im an aussie n 2 see ppl making fun of us...then they really dont know australia n these NZ comics must b jelous of us if they have 2 resurt to this
They're from New Zealand, not from Australia...

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Mike

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 01:06 AM

Relax, they are comedians. It's part of their act. They get mistaken for Aussies and usually get abused by Aussies themselves. Its all in good fun, because they aren't serious.

Try being gay and have to hear jokes about rainbows and man purses all the time.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
rizz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 08:05 AM

but its more the fact that sometimes comics take it too far

Giv a hug to a friend
Luv those who luv u bak
Blow a kiss times ten
Luv is everywhere u look
Around every corner

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizz View Post
but its more the fact that sometimes comics take it too far
Not really, it's all in good humor. They do it to get people to laugh.

They're talking about one episode. I remember watching. It was hilarious. But mainly because of Jemaine and Bret's reaction dating an Aussie, not Keitha. So it was more making fun of New Zealanders and how they absolutely hate Aussies for no reason.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Marionette. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 01:24 PM

I love Bret and Jemaine...
They don't mean any harm, it's just their act.
They're comedians. (As said above)

You need to look at it from another point of view and humour them.
Most of their skits are taken from everyday situations so they can related to their audience, and then they throw in the ridiculous stuff, to make it funny.
And it works.

Try and lighten up a little bit and enjoy their talents.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 04:43 PM

I think all comics take things too far sometimes ...
Bret and Jermaine get mistaken for Australians all the time ... And Aussies and Kiwis generally dislike each other, they're just using that fact for comedic effect.
They make jokes about them being Kiwis as well, try and lighten up and see both sides of it ...

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 06:10 PM

Yeah, if you don't like it so much, then don't watch it, it's that easy. It's really all in jest, it's not meant to hurt anyone. Are you going to sue all the non-comics in the world for making jokes about Aussies? The every day citizen? People will always joke about other people all the time. For instance, people from my country will always laugh when I say I'm from New Jersey because I'm supposed to sound like Sylvester Stalone and smell really bad. Or people from Pensey are bad drivers. Or everyone from California smokes weed and surfs all the time. It happens everywhere, you can't let it get you so mad that you rage about it!
Whether we like it or not, we all laugh at jokes -- at one point or another -- that are a bit uncouth or maybe even downright mean. And unfortunately, being the one to cause a scene over stereotypes often makes you more the target than if you just sat back and rolled with it, you know?

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionette. View Post
I love Bret and Jemaine...
They don't mean any harm, it's just their act.
They're comedians. (As said above)

You need to look at it from another point of view and humour them.
Most of their skits are taken from everyday situations so they can related to their audience, and then they throw in the ridiculous stuff, to make it funny.
And it works.

Try and lighten up a little bit and enjoy their talents.
"I take off my clothes, and start tripping over them, but It's okay because I turn it into a sexy dance."

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
rizz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiciansasssistant View Post
I think all comics take things too far sometimes ...
Bret and Jermaine get mistaken for Australians all the time ... And Aussies and Kiwis generally dislike each other, they're just using that fact for comedic effect.
They make jokes about them being Kiwis as well, try and lighten up and see both sides of it ...
no we dont infact my mum is a kiwi...i know plenty of kiwis.

usally i would lought at this but comics hav got to relise that its taken to far n do sumthing about it when messages are being posted to them saying "u rule, aussies suck"

Giv a hug to a friend
Luv those who luv u bak
Blow a kiss times ten
Luv is everywhere u look
Around every corner

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 08:29 PM

I'm half Kiwi ... And also have family in Australia. Maybe I phrased it wrong, dislike is probably the wrong word, more 'mock dislike'. Both my Kiwi and my Aussie family make jokes about the country not being as good, and have been to both countries a lot of people do that.
But it is in jest ... FOTC just play on it.
It's not exactly their fault if people message them because they take it to the extreme like that. Most of their fans just love their music rather than encouraging their "hate" of Aussies.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#15 (permalink)) Old
msbunnykins Offline
Obsessive cat owner.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 08:41 PM

Listen, this is no different than the other stereotypes in the media. Commercials always paint husbands to be incompetent, wives to always care about cleaning and cooking. Black people are always selling cocaine or are pimps, Middle Easterners are either terrorists or oil tycoons, and Italians are always in the mafia. None of them are freaking out, so why are the Aussies? Sure, I don't agree with stereotypes, but I don't think that one particular group is exempt. Sorry, but it's no big deal, calm down. We need to learn to stop being so uptight and make fun of ourselves, or else ban ALL stereotypes, there is our options.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 09:23 PM

haha im aussie i dont care, i think it'll probs be funny. Interestingly enough i didn't realise aussie girls had that sterotype haha i thought that was the guys, theyve made her into some sheman. I thuoght the girls were sterotyped as blonde and tanned, haha me being neither but still!

i seriously actually feel kinda not proud but like, f*** yeah i am a aussie! when i see skits like that. we have the best country in the world, and some of the sterotypes are pretty funny when you meet people who actually fit em :P!

(#17 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Flight of the Conchords make Aussies a laughing stock - May 7th 2009, 10:27 PM

I suppose you've never seen the Australian Philosophy Department sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus...

Comedians make fun of all sorts of places. Australia is not unique in the receiving end of crude jokes department. Remember the Bush years of America? Comedy gold. Americans have the laughing stock of the world for as long as I can remember.

Australia is an awesome place. I loved it there. But it's also important to realize that no place is perfect, and that it's good to laugh at yourself once in a while.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

Closed Thread