TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
InTheFlood Offline
Walking In The Sun...
I've been here a while

Name: Amelia

Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 05:12 PM

Okay I would like to get the point across, that I do accept that it is an absolutely awful tragedy that she went missing. Any child going missing is terrible.
But I don't understand, why she is so different to the thousands of other children that go missing every day?
People are still talking about it now. She's on the cover of the Daily Express. If this was another case even the media would dismiss it by now.
Again I'm not saying it isn't awful, but why is she different to any other missing child?

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║▌║
ORIGINAL MCFLY FAN ģ

"Another year over, and we're still together.
It's not always easy, but McFly's here forever
I know you believe me, when you look into my eyes
'Cause McFly never dies, because The Heart Never Lies!"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ShaunHellend Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shaun Hellend

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 05:15 PM

Because her parents had enough money to turn this into a global media thing, so now anybody who doesnt live in a cave knows about what happened

However, I'm confident she'll be found sooner or later
  Send a message via AIM to ShaunHellend Send a message via MSN to ShaunHellend  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 05:17 PM

Because her parents are white and rich.

Besides, any kid that goes missing in the UK, usually- except for foreign kids or teens- does get a lot of coverage because it doesn't happen all that often. It's not so much the media giving the coverage, really, it's her parents are willing to push this and put the money into it.

People fell in love with the little blond kid and so they gave money to help the campaign to find her. I'll admit, two years on and the coverage still being as big as it is, is just a tad ridiculous.

If every missing kid got as much attention as Madeleine got, we'd find half of them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 06:04 PM

Little White Girl Syndrome.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 06:13 PM

Rich white girl goes missing, and mommy and daddy are loaded so they stir up a big mess with the media. And of course the media loves that sort of events so they document it because it would sell well and be talked about loads, as it apparently is.

What makes her special compared to the other kids? She's white and from a rich white family with rich white parents.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau the Little Bird! View Post
So very true.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
msbunnykins Offline
Obsessive cat owner.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 08:43 PM

Yep, the media only cares about white kids. Did you know that 36 kids in Chicago have been murdered this year so far? No? Because they were black. These parents can buy the attention. Sad, but true.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 08:43 PM

Im watching the madeline mcann was here thing now ><

The thing is, i know that every child should get this type of publicity to help find them, but if you had a child and they went missing, wouldn't you put everything into trying to find them? regardless of how rich you are or what colour skin you have.

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#9 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 09:07 PM

I think the only reason we are hearing about her now has to do with money, of course. I think it is sad that we don't hear about other children. I make an effort to know about missing children in my area, at least. I have my phone set up to receive Amber Alerts via text messages. It's good to know, so you can pay extra close attention. You'd want someone to do the same if it was your child.

I'm wondering if Maddie will ever be found. I hope that she is found alive. If she is ever found--dead or alive--it'll be an uproar of media frenzy, I'm sure.

--A

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Faye. Offline
maybe this time...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Faye

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau the Little Bird! View Post
Seconded or probably fifth-ed by now

Feel free to PM me

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think its forever
-Carl Sagan

Send a message via MSN to Faye. Send a message via Skype™ to Faye. 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
EightEleven91 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 09:14 PM

Because they're rich.

Not colour of skin, thats nonsense.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
ellen123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 09:26 PM

yeah but what about that shannon matthews? she went missing and that was all just a set up for money. she got loads of media and her family lived in a council house and off benifit's (not that there is anything wrong with that) Maybe some people just dont like to talk about it beacause they are so upset think how you would feal

(#13 (permalink)) Old
BlurrySunset Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meg

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 09:28 PM

I think it has a great deal to do with being white. I can't think of a story that's been sensationalized in which the child was not white. It's like the Caylee Anthony story here in the US. They plaster a picture of a white, blonde, adorable little girl all over the place, and of course people are going to go nuts trying to find her. Some stories simply get more coverage, and it's not fair to the hundreds of other missing children at all.

I lost myself in the space between heaven and hell.
...where do we go from here?

R.I.P. Sarah; 1991-2009
Kacy; 1992-2009
I'll never forget.

Two months clean and sober.
Seven months since last cut.
Still struggling and surviving.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 09:37 PM

yeah but its a good thing isnt it? if shes ever found, it'll be because everyone knows about it and knows her etc. i think it's great that her parents stirred up the media, even if it was to no avail, theyd be bad parents if they hadn't tried.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah View Post
yeah but its a good thing isnt it? if shes ever found, it'll be because everyone knows about it and knows her etc. i think it's great that her parents stirred up the media, even if it was to no avail, theyd be bad parents if they hadn't tried.
No, they're bad parents for leaving three young children unattended in a foreign country.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 7th 2009, 09:49 PM

to be honest i'm fed up of hearing about it. her parents are irresponsible for leaving their three young children unattended in a foreign country, in an apartment while they go out for a meal. in fact, foreign country or not, you don't leave a three pretty much babies on their own. what on earth were they thinking?

i have little sympathy for them, and unfortunately they're going to have to live with what they've done for the rest of their life.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 8th 2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnykins View Post
Yep, the media only cares about white kids. Did you know that 36 kids in Chicago have been murdered this year so far? No? Because they were black. These parents can buy the attention. Sad, but true.
Actually not quite true. If any kid from my neighborhood when missing, you wouldn't hear about it, just get an amber alert, and that only after three days. Where I live, unless they are young babies, you don't here about it.and usually it isn't missing white babies that you do hear about.

I actually have not heard of this case before, I had to google it. Eh, pretty rich girl, of course it is everywhere.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 8th 2009, 07:23 AM

While I do agree that the publicity it's getting is a bit annoying, I don't see anything wrong with her parents doing what they're doing. If your kid went missing, wouldn't you spend all the money in the world, if that's what it took to make it easier for your child to be found? If they believe that having this all over the media will improve the chances of finding their kid, good for them for spending so much money on trying so hard to see their kid again. I think it's unfair to accuse the parents of simply wanting publicity. If they had wanted publicity, they would have done something else to get it, and not take the chance to be big and famous after their daughter disappeared. People who want to be in the media that desperately, they find a way, and it doesn't take a missing kid to make it happen.

It doesn't mean that no one is paying attention to all of the other cases of missing kids out there. And if they payed this much attention to every missing child case, people would be even more frustrated, and there would more than likely be a million threads on many sites like this one. No one missing child case goes ignored, some simply get more media, and places in magazines. But that doesn't mean that other missing kids still will not be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
to be honest i'm fed up of hearing about it. her parents are irresponsible for leaving their three young children unattended in a foreign country, in an apartment while they go out for a meal. in fact, foreign country or not, you don't leave a three pretty much babies on their own. what on earth were they thinking?

i have little sympathy for them, and unfortunately they're going to have to live with what they've done for the rest of their life.

Although I do agree

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

Last edited by MadPoet; May 8th 2009 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 8th 2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
No, they're bad parents for leaving three young children unattended in a foreign country.
okay sorry i hadn't read the story, because all i needed was to know what the girl looked like.

still, they'd be even worse parents if they hadnt created some attention to help find her.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 8th 2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah View Post
still, they'd be even worse parents if they hadnt created some attention to help find her.
Exactly. Imagine if they were making no effort whatsoever to find her? What they did was beyond stupid, obviously, but come on, everyone does beyond stupid things, but regardless of what they do, they don't deserve to have their child kidnapped. Every parent makes mistakes. Even though they were pretty much ass holes, they didn't deserve for this to happen.

While their mistake it still made, at least they're making an effort to fix it.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 8th 2009, 11:13 AM

I find this weird, I was left by myself in a hotel room, possibly with my sister when I was young. Bad parenting? Perhaps, but just about everyone did it. Parents went to dinner, while the kids slept. I never thought of it as bad, as nothing bad ever happened to me.
I do agree with the money aspect, however, the entire thing has got out of control, especially with them blaming the mother. I just wish people would draw the line somewhere.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Kate Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kate

Re: Maddie Mcann - May 9th 2009, 11:26 AM

My heart really goes out to them. I hope and prey that they find her. It is a 3 year old girl we are talking about here. Nearly 6 by now. Im sure her parents have beaten themselves up tremendous amounts already. But i know, if it was my daughter, i'd go to every edge of the earth, just like they have to help find her.

Closed Thread