TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 01:07 AM

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...r=U.S._5014809
Quote:
Zackery Lystedt has always been a fierce competitor. So at 13, when he took a hard hit in a football game he "shook it off," and 15 minutes later was back in the game, reports CBS News correspondent Sandra Hughes . He collapsed on the field. "I was begging God to keep him alive," said Victor Lystedt, Zack's father. He spent 30 days in a coma, diagnosed with a second impact concussion. "One of the doctors was talking to his colleagues and saying, 'Well, he might wake up.' As if it were a rare miracle that he would even wake up," Victor said. Every day has been a miracle on his long journey out of darkness. When CBS News first visited Zack two years ago, he was unable to move his legs or speak. He communicated through blinking. With relentless rehabilitation, his progress has been nothing short of amazing. "How are you doing?" Hughes asked Zack. "I'm doing good," he said. The Lystedts have never known how far Zack can come back. But they are certain of one thing: "We don't want another family to go through what we're going through," Victor said. A recent survey of 100 high schools by the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital found that of the more than 1,300 athletes with concussions, 41 percent went back in the game too soon. "It's very important for the brain to have enough time to heal adequately," said Dr. Vernon Williams, the chief medical officer of the Sports Concussion Institute. That's why Zack's family has been lobbying. "His purpose I think now in life is to change other people's lives," Victor said. On Thursday, the family watched as the governor of Washington signed the most far-reaching legislation in the nation to protect kids from concussions. Zack showed his appreciation like a typical teenager - doing a hand bump with the governor. Under the Zackery Lystedt law, a youth showing any signs of a concussion will have to get the approval of a medical professional before being allowed to play again. "It's a great day for us, for Washington and for the country," Victor said. Supporters want to take this law nationwide, hoping what happened to Zack will never happen to another young athlete.


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 01:09 AM

I saw this on the news. I think that's awesome. Concussions are nothing to fool around with.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 01:44 AM

I assumed most people would have enough common sense to realize that a concussion isn't simply a little paper cut that you can continue doing whatever with. Although, I find one thing rather curious. Suppose the youth gets a concussion but for whatever reason does not seek medical attention right away. Suppose he gets it 2 weeks later. What punishment is to be given for that?

Or, suppose after a concussion occurs, the coaches and such rush out but the youth absolutely, 100% refuses to get medical attention. Do you force him against his will and risk assault on a minor or do you have a police officer at every game ready to slap on the handcuffs, put him in the car, drive him to the police station (he broke the law) then to the hospital (or just to the hospital) and back again? If so, then they better hire tons more police officers or start giving coaches some handcuffs and training.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while
********
 
Heretic's Avatar
 
Name: [060191.1723]
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: 43.337557, -89.638498

Posts: 1,695
Blog Entries: 9
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 03:19 AM

Testosterone, athleticism, competition, and passion have some dangerous side-effects, especially when combined. I think it's pretty obvious that someone with a concussion shouldn't be playing for awhile.


Ethos
Pathos
Logos

050516.0029
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 03:49 AM

I think thats a good idea because, with head injuries, you never know the extent of the damage without a professional medical opinion. It reminds me of that one actor (the one from the movie Taken) who's wife died from a concussion at a skiing trip because she didnt seek medical help until hours after the accident, thinking she was fine.


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 04:04 AM

I like this, it would end a lot of headaches for parents, if their kid got hurt while playing.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 04:05 AM

Liam Neeson?
  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
msbunnykins Offline
Obsessive cat owner.
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
msbunnykins's Avatar
 
Gender: Female

Posts: 227
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 06:17 AM

This is a good idea. We need to stop putting competition first- bump our health up a few places.



   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
star_crossd's Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: AZ

Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 15th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Liam Neeson?
Yes, him! I forgot his name:P
But I thought it really sucked his wife probably would have survived if only she'd gotten medical help before it was too late


Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.


Music is life. Start living.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
noise94's Avatar
 
Gender: N/A

Posts: 3,231
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 07:00 PM

My brother was playing a football game when he started feeling weak and out of breath. The coaches wanted him to keep playing, but he refused and my mom took him to the doctor.

The doctor said that if he kept playing, he would have died. It was that thing, you know, when athletes just randomly drop dead? Sudden adult death syndrome or something. If my brother had listening to the coaches, he'd have dropped dead.

So yes, I think anyone showing any signs of anything at all, concussion or whatever, should be seen by a doctor before allowed to continue playing. It just makes sense.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
My brother was playing a football game when he started feeling weak and out of breath. The coaches wanted him to keep playing, but he refused and my mom took him to the doctor.

The doctor said that if he kept playing, he would have died. It was that thing, you know, when athletes just randomly drop dead? Sudden adult death syndrome or something. If my brother had listening to the coaches, he'd have dropped dead.

So yes, I think anyone showing any signs of anything at all, concussion or whatever, should be seen by a doctor before allowed to continue playing. It just makes sense.
... Well, I have to say, I have absolutely no clue about what the supposed illness is that is going around plaguing only athletes causing them to suddenly just drop dead yet all non-athletes presumably are fine.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
noise94's Avatar
 
Gender: N/A

Posts: 3,231
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 15th 2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
... Well, I have to say, I have absolutely no clue about what the supposed illness is that is going around plaguing only athletes causing them to suddenly just drop dead yet all non-athletes presumably are fine.
It's not just athletes it happens to, I just figured people might have heard of it happening to athletes so I said that.

I knew somebody who died from this, and he wasn't playing sports or anything, I don't think. It's a little like cot death, in babies, I think.

http://www.sads.org.uk/
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
It's not just athletes it happens to, I just figured people might have heard of it happening to athletes so I said that.

I knew somebody who died from this, and he wasn't playing sports or anything, I don't think. It's a little like cot death, in babies, I think.

http://www.sads.org.uk/
It's death due to heart failure or problems often due to rare heart syndromes.

SIDS or cot death is absolutely different. Those have to do with anatomical and physiological abnormalities in the brain that lead to the kid dying due to respiratory difficulties (usually).

Please, google up the disorders before you attempt to make connections or analogies between them.

As for this person you know, unless you have some sort of evidence indicating that your specific person died, you cannot use heresay in a debate. So that part is dismissed.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
noise94's Avatar
 
Gender: N/A

Posts: 3,231
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 02:26 PM

All I was trying to say was that my brother would have died from this, if he had listened to his coaches and kept playing. So therefore, people shouldn't be allowed to continue playing if they show health problems, obviously.

Last edited by noise94; May 16th 2009 at 02:36 PM.
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
All I was trying to say was that my brother would have died from this, if he had listened to his coaches and kept playing. So therefore, people shouldn't be allowed to continue playing if they show health problems, obviously.
In the previous posts you introduced other points, so please, don't try to back peddle from the mess you made without remotely attempting to defend any of them.

OK, so you say people shouldn't be allowed to continue to play if they show health problems. My response: let's abolish mixed martial arts and other very physical martial arts, such as kyokushin (sp?) and similar physical martial arts. After all, someone gets a punch to the nose, their nose may bleed indicating damage, but according to you, STOP with the sport temporarily. This is a problem when someone gives a very general statement applying to a very broad issue, OBVIOUSLY
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 09:50 PM

If they stoped every Ufc fight they would lose money because of injury.
  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
noise94's Avatar
 
Gender: N/A

Posts: 3,231
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 10:33 PM

So, money is more important than health?
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
So, money is more important than health?
EDGE said that they'd lose money, nothing about ranking its importance. You seem to be going against what your little avatar says: don't think or judge, just listen... .
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
So, money is more important than health?
In my opinion no money isn't before health.
  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
noise94's Avatar
 
Gender: N/A

Posts: 3,231
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 10:48 PM

Yeah, alright.
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Pessimistic Panda's Avatar
 
Name: Jennifer
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Location: Three rivers Mi

Posts: 914
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 10:49 PM

That's good that they realize that in the sports world there injury's and each injury as minor as it looks they get it checked out because you don't know how serious it may be


You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus




  Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
Yeah, alright.
I do hope that you're not being arrogant enough to disbelieve EDGE based on the fact that you put two things together, which although they commonly do occur together, and somehow through no logic whatsoever believed he ranks one above the other. Also, you haven't addressed that little thing of you going against your avatar.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
noise94's Avatar
 
Gender: N/A

Posts: 3,231
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 11:42 PM

I believe him. My avater? Fine, I made a mistake, y'all can have your opinions and I'll have mine. Anywho, it's 12:41am and I'm going to sleep. Night.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
I believe him. My avater? Fine, I made a mistake, y'all can have your opinions and I'll have mine. Anywho, it's 12:41am and I'm going to sleep. Night.
Nevermind, I don't think going on about the avatar will lead anywhere with you. It's rather hard for me to believe the fact that you saying "yeah, alright " to someone's answer means you believe them. Could you be far less ambiguous in the future?
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 11:55 PM

Personally, I think this is a great idea. Making sure that athletes are not pushed to play with injuries is great, as it is a common trend among more competitive people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
In the previous posts you introduced other points, so please, don't try to back peddle from the mess you made without remotely attempting to defend any of them.

OK, so you say people shouldn't be allowed to continue to play if they show health problems. My response: let's abolish mixed martial arts and other very physical martial arts, such as kyokushin (sp?) and similar physical martial arts. After all, someone gets a punch to the nose, their nose may bleed indicating damage, but according to you, STOP with the sport temporarily. This is a problem when someone gives a very general statement applying to a very broad issue, OBVIOUSLY
Athletes who experience significant injury or other physical distress should not be allowed to continue unless given the all clear by a medical professional. A concussion is a significant injury; a nose bleed is not. Not to mention that when Nicola made that comparison, she used the phrase "I think" as a disclaimer; she admitted to not knowing for sure if her analogy was correct.

This is a place for civil debate, so please, try to refrain from baiting.

There are similarities between the Martial Arts and Football, but there are also significant differences. Martial Arts is a physically aggressive sport, in which athletes are well aware that the goal is to physically assault the opponent, in which one may experience injuries. While football is a contact sport, it is not the same. The point is never to injure another player, obviously.




[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 16th 2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Or, suppose after a concussion occurs, the coaches and such rush out but the youth absolutely, 100% refuses to get medical attention. Do you force him against his will and risk assault on a minor or do you have a police officer at every game ready to slap on the handcuffs, put him in the car, drive him to the police station (he broke the law) then to the hospital (or just to the hospital) and back again? If so, then they better hire tons more police officers or start giving coaches some handcuffs and training.
You don't assault the minor, you tell them that unless they get the approval of a doctor, they won't be able to play.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 12:44 AM

I think this is a good law to have. I'd like to see something like this in VA. I play softball and people are expected to keep playing after injuries and such. For example, I got hit in the foot yesterday and they didn't even ask me if I wanted a pinch runner (the pitcher hit me with the ball while I was at bat for clarity). During football one year, our school told the our opponents that the boy's leg might be broken. His coach said he is fine and told him to stand up. He was their best player and the coach wanted him in the game. When he stood up, his leg shattered and the bone went through the skin. The coach should have left him on the ground, like our trainer said. *shakes head*


--A
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 01:15 AM

Last time I checked Pro Football was a aggressive sport, not like Baseball/basketball.
  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
SoaringStar Offline
Little kid at heart
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
SoaringStar's Avatar
 
Name: Brianna
Gender: Female
Location: Euclid

Posts: 24
Join Date: May 13th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 02:52 AM

This is great. Kids die every year because of sports injuries but now this law should reduce that.


Every good thing must come to an end.
Life is what you make it.
You can't judge me. You don't even know me.
Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate. ~ Captian Jack Sparrow
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazola View Post
Personally, I think this is a great idea. Making sure that athletes are not pushed to play with injuries is great, as it is a common trend among more competitive people.



Athletes who experience significant injury or other physical distress should not be allowed to continue unless given the all clear by a medical professional. A concussion is a significant injury; a nose bleed is not. Not to mention that when Nicola made that comparison, she used the phrase "I think" as a disclaimer; she admitted to not knowing for sure if her analogy was correct.

This is a place for civil debate, so please, try to refrain from baiting.

There are similarities between the Martial Arts and Football, but there are also significant differences. Martial Arts is a physically aggressive sport, in which athletes are well aware that the goal is to physically assault the opponent, in which one may experience injuries. While football is a contact sport, it is not the same. The point is never to injure another player, obviously.

Regardless if she used "I think" or "perhaps" or "maybe", her point still stands. She had some amount of confidence behind it and had some amount of rationale behind it.

Football is an aggressive sport, as are martial arts. Why you seem to indicate that it isn't is beyond me. So that example you gave is dismissed on the grounds of being nonsense.

Wait, so in mixed martial arts, we shouldn't injure the opponent? How exactly do you intend to win the match then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella
You don't assault the minor, you tell them that unless they get the approval of a doctor, they won't be able to play.
Fair enough, however, if it is to be a law, then a law officer has to enforce it. Otherwise, the coach or whoever can recommend that the player gets medical attention but cannot enforce it. However, you are correct, they could deny the player to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno
I think this is a good law to have. I'd like to see something like this in VA. I play softball and people are expected to keep playing after injuries and such. For example, I got hit in the foot yesterday and they didn't even ask me if I wanted a pinch runner (the pitcher hit me with the ball while I was at bat for clarity). During football one year, our school told the our opponents that the boy's leg might be broken. His coach said he is fine and told him to stand up. He was their best player and the coach wanted him in the game. When he stood up, his leg shattered and the bone went through the skin. The coach should have left him on the ground, like our trainer said. *shakes head*
In both examples you gave, the coaches or trainers or whatever you term that as in softball, should have inquired about your condition. However, both examples are heresay, unless you have some source(s) to verify that they occurred, they are dismissed. After all, you could be lying about them or you may be telling the truth, we don't know.
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while
********
 
Through-Glass's Avatar
 
Name: Jessi
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Eastern Tennessee

Posts: 1,323
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Regardless if she used "I think" or "perhaps" or "maybe", her point still stands. She had some amount of confidence behind it and had some amount of rationale behind it.
So, you're saying that even though one recognizes that they do not know something as fact, it's just as bad as if they swore it were? It does not matter if someone thinks something and is mistaken; it is called being human.

Honestly, try to find some facts of your own to share, instead of worrying about other's faults. It's much more constructive and strengthens your point.

Quote:
Football is an aggressive sport, as are martial arts. Why you seem to indicate that it isn't is beyond me. So that example you gave is dismissed on the grounds of being nonsense.

Wait, so in mixed martial arts, we shouldn't injure the opponent? How exactly do you intend to win the match then?
The goal and conduct of the sports is different.

In Martial Arts, you DO injure the oponent.

In Football, if you injure someone, you get penalized. It is still aggressive, but not on the same level.

My point was merely that comparing Football to Martial Arts was not accurate.


[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 03:46 AM

If a player tackles another player and breaks his neck, he doesn't get penalized, unless he did so on purpose.
  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 04:42 AM

I think this is an amazing law.

We had this happen with our football team. The quarterback got a huge concussion but Coach wouldn't stop long enough to realize it and kept pushing him. The second the game was over he completely collapsed, and was in the hospital for a few days, and amazingly recovered even though no one thought he was going to.

I love this law, and I think it's amazing how well the kid is doing now.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazola View Post
So, you're saying that even though one recognizes that they do not know something as fact, it's just as bad as if they swore it were? It does not matter if someone thinks something and is mistaken; it is called being human.
No, I never said it was as bad, that's called putting words in my mouth. She gave her argument, gave a little wishy-washy here and there, unsure nonsense to go along with it. Regardless if she is unsure, you debate the point she made whether or not she takes what she said as fact or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazola View Post
Honestly, try to find some facts of your own to share, instead of worrying about other's faults. It's much more constructive and strengthens your point.
In case you haven't noticed, I have given my views on this. What I'm doing is called analyzing the other posts after giving my opinion on this issue. I'm not entirely sure how you debate, although that's another story. Also, what I have said thus far has not been refuted effectively, which amazingly, strengthens what I said. If you actually want to refute it effectively, then go ahead, so far you have done nothing of the sort. I also don't need any bit of your advice as to how to debate, I'm more than capable of it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazola View Post
The goal and conduct of the sports is different.

In Martial Arts, you DO injure the oponent.

In Football, if you injure someone, you get penalized. It is still aggressive, but not on the same level.

My point was merely that comparing Football to Martial Arts was not accurate.
You obviously have no clue about football (american football). If you injure someone, you get a penalty ONLY if it was on purpose. You tackle someone, they get an injury but if it was a clean tackle then boohoo, too bad for them.
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, however, if it is to be a law, then a law officer has to enforce it. Otherwise, the coach or whoever can recommend that the player gets medical attention but cannot enforce it. However, you are correct, they could deny the player to play.
And that's where the legal obligation has to be placed. Making it illegal for a coach to allow a seriously injured player to play.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
And that's where the legal obligation has to be placed. Making it illegal for a coach to allow a seriously injured player to play.
But who then enforces the law? What if the coach really wants the player to play, the player wants to play, the player's teammates and parents want him/her to play, then if they all let him/her to play, who enforces the law? Granted, other parents could report the coach, however, they'll need evidence against the coach to prove that the player was indeed injured and didn't get medical treatment. For some injuries, the injury will be very obvious, such as a broken leg or arm, however, one then has to show that the injury occurred during the game and not elsewhere.
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
In both examples you gave, the coaches or trainers or whatever you term that as in softball, should have inquired about your condition. However, both examples are heresay, unless you have some source(s) to verify that they occurred, they are dismissed. After all, you could be lying about them or you may be telling the truth, we don't know.
Nothing wrong with telling why you like a law and giving examples from your personal life.


--A
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 17th 2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
Nothing wrong with telling why you like a law and giving examples from your personal life.
As long as there is some evidence to show that you're not making up examples. In a debate, you give a claim, you need support for it. If you give an example, you must show it's true and supports your claim. If you have no evidence of it, then it is dismissed as heresay. I have no problem when someone uses an example where they give some source verifying it. If you have no evidence, then in any half-decent debate, such as this one, you get your ass laughed out of the room.
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Grizabella's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 1,305
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 18th 2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
But who then enforces the law? What if the coach really wants the player to play, the player wants to play, the player's teammates and parents want him/her to play, then if they all let him/her to play, who enforces the law? Granted, other parents could report the coach, however, they'll need evidence against the coach to prove that the player was indeed injured and didn't get medical treatment. For some injuries, the injury will be very obvious, such as a broken leg or arm, however, one then has to show that the injury occurred during the game and not elsewhere.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Are you suggesting we should never make a law unless it's easy to enforce and prove? Rape is a very difficult thing to prove, and even harder to prosecute, but I would assume you would agree it's still good we have laws against them.

You're right, people would probably get away with breaking this la. But a law like this would make the coaches accountable if a player were killed or seriously injured due to neglegance.


Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,088
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Teen Inspires "Shake It Off" Law. - May 18th 2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Are you suggesting we should never make a law unless it's easy to enforce and prove? Rape is a very difficult thing to prove, and even harder to prosecute, but I would assume you would agree it's still good we have laws against them.

You're right, people would probably get away with breaking this la. But a law like this would make the coaches accountable if a player were killed or seriously injured due to neglegance.
What I was getting at was the fact that a ridiculous amount of people would get away with this law and people could be falsely accused. With rape, yes that's also a rather hard thing to prove too, however, one can do DNA tests, physical examinations, etc.... Also, with rape, the sentences usually aren't very light, whereas for this, a sentence would have to be decided and probably is rather light. But, since a coach has parents, other players, audience members, referees, other coaches, etc... around, it can get very chaotic and be hard for a coach to get the kid to seek medical attention if the parents refuse, possibly leading to fights and such.

With rape, it's generally 1-1, a rapist and a victim. With this, it may start as 1-1, a coach and a player but may then build up a lot more, and somehow the police would have to sort through all of the chaos.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
inspires, law, shake it off, teen

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.