TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Google making it easy to spy on people? - January 6th 2016, 01:02 AM

One thing that google has done that annoys me is that it stores all search history for anyone using an account. This may be ok for the person using the account- but it makes it so easy to spy on someone- at least for a time. If you let someone use your computer and they forget to log out of their gmail- everything you do is going to be visible to them through their gmail account- at least until you notice that they forgot to sign off. You could even do this intentionally by setting up a dummy gmail account that you'll never use and "forgetting" to sign off on someone else's computer. Basically any internet activity that takes place on any web browser that is logged into gmail is going to be visible to the owner of the gmail account. I think this is a feature which will unnecessarily violate unwitting people's privacy.

I realize that its possible to install software onto anyone's computer to spy on them if you have access and the know-how--- but this is making it easy to do without being tech-savvy at all. I don't think people should have to look and see if someone is signed into a google account/gmail before using the internet.
What do you think about this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Google making it easy to spy on people? - January 6th 2016, 10:55 PM

What do I think of it? I can't stand it. But I can't do much about it either, besides the following:

I just use fake alliases, names, and VPNs nonstop. The only three accounts I registered with my real name were my main email account (with google, lol), Amazon, and facebook (where I don't even use my full name). Maybe some others, but very few. I don't use ebay, etc.

I rarely log into my account from other places, but when I do, I don't "forget" to log out. I have it set up to log me out after few minutes of inactivity. I think I do anyway.

Installing spyware on other people's computers is usually extremely easy, true. Because many people don't even set-up things like admin rights. Even with admin-rights... there are ways to get around it. It is taking me a long time to figure out the complete inns and outs of how to "lock-down" my PC against any kind intrusion like that. I'm still working on it too. I've made it a hobby. SEDs, boot-up passwords, LoJack etc. Although LoJack is anti-theft, and not "compatible" with SEDs... because LoJack doesn't like encryption, which is annoying and I'm trying to figure out a way around it.

To start with, I used something called "Belarc Advisor" to give me a complete picture of my laptop scurity. I scored 0.63 out of 10.

Ironically, you can find most of the information you need on how to lock-down your PC, on google itself. You don't need an IT degree. Recently I started playing around with creating "hidden partitions" on my hard drive, all found through google. I think the most secure way to store personal data though... is to encrypt it and put it in an online cloud service with servers in a country with no data retention laws. Encryption isn't some "high science". You can even do it using 7-zip. I'm going off on a tangent here though. Like I said, I've made it a hobby. It started with my step-dad overstepping too many boundaries and even installing spyware on my laptop a while ago.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Google making it easy to spy on people? - January 7th 2016, 12:18 AM

Are you talking about Google Chrome? Because I know it asks you to sign in to the browser with a gmail account, and that stores everything and it is hard to tell sometimes that someone is logged into the browser itself, however you aren't required to do it.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Google making it easy to spy on people? - January 8th 2016, 01:50 AM

This... is not what I thought it was. Thought it was about government surveillance until I read it.
I always find search history annoying, it got me in huge trouble a couple of times when I was a kid. On safari on my macbook, I use the privacy windows even for trivial things just in case someone like my brother ever needs to use it. Or even worse, my mom.
Christ, I'm 20 years old, I'm an adult, dammit!

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread